Author Topic: PJ at Jiffy Lube Live  (Read 6829 times)

Big KC

PJ at Jiffy Lube Live
« on: May 12, 2010, 09:00:37 am »
How bad will the non-concert experience be?
How much time will it take to get from Baltimore to the Lube?
I swore i'd never go there again...

Mr.Whippy

Re: PJ at Jiffy Lube Live
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:10:01 am »
If this is any kind of help, I work in Fairfax, VA, which is about 20 miles from the venue.  I'm leaving my office at about 3:30 to make sure I get there in time for Band of Horses. 

That is probably earlier than I need to leave, but Route 66 heading west starts to really suck after about 3 PM.  The other issue is then that once you get off the highway, the roads to The Lube are two-lane (one lane in each direction), so those get very backed up.

It doesn't seem like the show has sold that well, so maybe the venue traffic will not be that bad.

wml7

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:30:12 am »
I'm leaving from charlottesville around 3.  If your coming from Baltimore just to be safe you should leave around 2 to get there early, I could be wrong.  Tickets in the 100's still available.  Still trying my luck and seeing if I can pull in the pit area  ;D

hutch

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 11:35:00 am »
I believe there are two exits off 66 heading west...

WE usually take the second one...

I have not found going out there that traumatic lately...

heather

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 11:56:57 am »
i'm waking up crazy early so that i can drive to work, pay $17 to park in a garage, leave dc (near the capitol) around 3:30, and like mr whippy, hope to make it in time for band of horses.  i'm not 100% confident in my plan! 

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 05:01:36 pm »
Still trying my luck and seeing if I can pull in the pit area  ;D

Is there a pit for this show?  TicketMaster doesn't indicate that with in the "Section" pulldown nor the seating chart that comes up by default.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 05:06:54 pm »
i think he means floor, as in seated floor.
<sig>

wml7

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 05:23:23 pm »
yes, I mean floor.  Never been able to get real close for all the pearl jam shows I've been to.  I got 102 M when tickets went on sale.  As of now those tickets are still available.

serpent boy

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 05:47:06 pm »
I'd prefer to get to the venue as early as possible but my wife isn't too keen on the idea. I'll probably hang around the Bristow area until around 5 or 5:30 and then obsessively wait outside the gates to get a poster. :)

If 102, row M is coming up on TM, I have high hopes that I'll have great seats with my 10 Club tickets. I've won the Ten Club lottery before (Virginia Beach 2008) and was front row, far left. I'd love to have a repeat!

Any songs you're all looking forward to hearing? I'm hoping they play some No Code and Binaural.

walkonby

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 05:59:13 pm »
i hope they open with yellow ledbetter and close with bugs.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 06:02:34 pm »

well that seems to be right up there with "I promise not to come in your mouth"

vansmack

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 06:10:10 pm »

I don't know.  Once I saw them open with "Release" which is one of the best mood builder songs I've ever heard and close with "Baba O'Reilly" which was pretty epic. 

Granted, the entire encore, which started with "Sonic Reducer", was played behind the stacks because fans were throwing a bunch of shit on stage, including shoes that hit just about every band member.  So they walked off and Eddie said "me and Jeff are going to the front gate and when you exit, we are going to beat the shit out of every barefoot person here"
27>34

wml7

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 06:15:57 pm »

well that seems to be right up there with "I promise not to come in your mouth"

ooohh..... sethy with a zinger  ;D

wml7

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 06:17:14 pm »

I don't know.  Once I saw them open with "Release" which is one of the best mood builder songs I've ever heard and close with "Baba O'Reilly" which was pretty epic. 

Granted, the entire encore, which started with "Sonic Reducer", was played behind the stacks because fans were throwing a bunch of shit on stage, including shoes that hit just about every band member.  So they walked off and Eddie said "me and Jeff are going to the front gate and when you exit, we are going to beat the shit out of every barefoot person here"

haha thats awesome

vansmack

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 06:37:05 pm »
haha thats awesome

Long before Coachella took up residence there:

11/05/93 - Empire Polo Fields: Indio, CA [100m]
attendance: 25,000
support act: Weapon of Choice, Eleven and American Music Club
soundcheck: Wash, Alone, Yellow Ledbetter

set: Release, Go, Animal, Why Go, Deep, Jeremy, Glorified G, Daughter/Improv (It's Time to Realign Your Body with Your Mind), Alive, Rearviewmirror, Improv (Thank You), Blood, Rats, Once, Porch/(Tearing), Fuck Me in the Brain
enc: Sonic Reducer, Even Flow, Indifference, Baba O'Riley

notes: This show, originally planned for the LA area, was problematic with respect to parking and cold temperatures. The unruly crowd was moshing in line during the soundcheck and to PA music! Before PJ started, a roadie sang a hysterical rendition of 'Copa Cabana.' The audience is launching shoes at the stage even before and during the opening acts. In fact, during Eleven's set, a shoe hits Jack Iron's bass drum, he stops the song and says that if he finds out who threw it he would make him pay for the damages (quite pissed). Finally, PJ hits the stage, with the audience behaving outrageously. Prior to 'Deep,' Ed remarks, "Kill your local rapist, but torture him first, then serve him to your enemy for dinner." Later: "The first guy I met today gave me this book and asked if I wanted to know the secret for living forever." Tossing it into the crowd, he says, "Why the fuck would I want to live forever?" During 'Porch,' Ed invites the audience to spit at him. The agitated crowd, continuing to throw stuff onto the stage, leads Ed to comment that "... me and Jeff are going to the front gate and when you exit, we are going to beat the shit out of every barefoot person here"  and "... throw a gun so I can shoot you." The band eventually plays from behind their amps so they won't be hit by the flying shoes. This audience was awful. The recording of 'Blood' from this show is released on the 'Daughter' single. 'Fuck Me in the Brain' was released later on the third fan club single (as 'Ramblings'). The guys deserve a medal for playing this long and this well despite the rowdy crowd.

http://www.fivehorizons.com/tour/cc/t1993.shtml

During "Release" I experienced the greatest crowd surfing moment of my life...
27>34