Author Topic: Best and Worst shows at new and old club  (Read 17219 times)

Mr.Whippy

Re: Best and Worst shows at new and old club
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 03:25:02 pm »
I had forgotten about the Bad Brains shows from election night in '08 until someone mentioned it.  That is definitely the worst show for me. 

HR didn't seem to even exist in the same time/space continuum as the band or anyone else.

I agree that Nick Cave and Spiritualized are contenders for best show.

Another one that sticks out for me as one of the best is the first of the recent Pogues tours in March of '06.  It was the first date of their US tour, so the first US show with Shane in 18 years, and it was a late show and the band came on at midnight or 1 AM.

The "Fairytale of New York" encore with Shane waltzing with the woman he duetted with while fake snow fell from the ceiling is a moment I will never forget.

Here's the thing

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 03:57:34 pm »
Best at new location: Iggy and the Stooges or Arcade Fire (It looks silly to even type that, but that Arcade Fire show was really perfect. Maybe I was just really into it, so it could have just been perfect timing.)

Worst at new location: Kevin Drew with Broken Social Scene -
It might have been a decent show, but I didn't enjoy it at all.

Best on F St. - Feelies in 86, I guess? The Good Earth tour. One of my all-time favorite shows

Worst on F St. - Let's Active and Salem 66. I wanted to like it, but not much fun. Still love "Every Word Means No", though.

atomicfront

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 03:59:58 pm »

Worst on F St. - Let's Active and Salem 66. I wanted to like it, but not much fun. Still love "Every Word Means No", though.

I was at the Let's Active and Salem 66 show and loved Let's Active's set.

Broken Social Scene at Merriweather with Belle and Sebastian was amazing.  But the new shows without the girls are pretty awful

Here's the thing

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 04:13:11 pm »

Maybe it was just me, on both counts for worst shows. I am usually a pretty easy mark live if I like the band on disc (or vinyl, as it were).

I was at the Let's Active and Salem 66 show and loved Let's Active's set.

Broken Social Scene at Merriweather with Belle and Sebastian was amazing.  But the new shows without the girls are pretty awful

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 04:25:06 pm »
I only went to the new club, but the worst show was The National.

oh, i got another one: the arctic monkeys blew chunks.  y'all know me, i'm a concert addict.  the arctic monkeys are the first band, ever, to make me say "i'd never go see them again".  they somehow managed to be both pretentious and boring.  if you're going to throw around that much attitude, you better have the performance to back it up.  they didn't.

When did you see them? I've seen them 3 times, and I was never really taken aback by them they sort of just performed their songs and said shit in their indecipherable accents. But the last show the did at 930 was monstrous, they actually rocked.
‼‼?‼‼

Relaxer

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 04:53:24 pm »
I thought the first Arctic Monkey show was great, right after the debut came out. More than anything, I thought they sounded amazing. Saw them again after the second album came out and thought it was pretty blah. The end.
oword

wml7

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 04:55:48 pm »
Anyone see The Prodigy last year?  Now that show was awesome  ;D

Mobius

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 04:58:14 pm »
Old Club

Best:  Fugazi 1/3/91 . . . right band, right time, right place, great show

Worst:  random 3 Bands for 3 Bucks . . .still a good time

New Club

Best:  Its a cop out answer, but in general 2001 stands out . . . Guided By Voices, Spiritualized, Fugazi, Joe Strummer, The Strokes, Sigur Ros, Built to Spill, Richard Ashcroft, BRMC . . .whoever I'm forgetting

Worst:  The Vines 2002 . . .gave Asberger's a bad name!

Relaxer

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 05:23:21 pm »
Weird, I didn't think that Vines show was too bad. Seem to remember the opener being good but can't remember who it was.
The first Polyphonic show at the club was amazing.
oword

Epstein

• http://www.hit-dat.com
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 05:38:11 pm »
Id rather see flipper tune their guitars for 6 dollars then half the shit mentioned in this thread
Kill the sound: <A HREF="Http://www.hit-dat.com" TARGET=_blank>http://Http://www.hit-dat.com[/url]

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 06:02:53 pm »
When did you see them? I've seen them 3 times, and I was never really taken aback by them they sort of just performed their songs and said shit in their indecipherable accents. But the last show the did at 930 was monstrous, they actually rocked.

just went through the stub collection: it was may'07, so just after the second album.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 06:06:35 pm »
Best at the old club was Jeff Buckley
Worst at the old club was LUscious Jackson for bitching me out from the bandstand

Best at the new club is too tough but the most important show I saw at the new club- for a variety of reasons- was Johnny Cash
Worst at the new club...shit I just don't remember. Gwar wasn't my bag but I wouldn't say it was bad...Now its coming back to me: TOSCA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a disappointment...ALso Jeff Tweedy was a blathering mess...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 06:25:34 pm by hutch »

eltee

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 07:19:07 pm »
Worst:  The Vines 2002 . . .gave Asberger's a bad name!
Yes! - that's what she said!

andyrichter

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 10:02:12 pm »
Never got to see a show at the old club. 

New Club
Best:  Iggy and the Stooges, The Cramps, Sonic Youth last year, Sleater-Kinney's last DC show (until they reunite), and X

Worst:  Guttermouth, Bad Brains Election Night 2008

TheREALHunter

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 11:13:32 pm »
Old Club

Best: King's X in summer '91 when they were musically at the top of their game touring on their 3rd album (which was the last one worth a shit) with then 16 year old guitar prodigy Eric Gales opening.

Worst: C.O.C. Summer '90?  Went to see Mind Over Four but stuck around for C.O.C. this was the time period between them playing hardcore and going full on lame buttrocker, the first 2-3 minutes sounded like a huge distorted fart and I said fuck this and split.

New Club

Best: The Stooges by a mile.

Worst: Bad Brains election day show by even more than that.