Author Topic: Best and Worst shows at new and old club  (Read 17221 times)

chancegardener

• http://www.chancegardener.com
Re: Best and Worst shows at new and old club
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 11:59:16 pm »
Best at F St Location:   Jane's Addiction 12/15/88
Worst at F St:   Counting Crows  1/19/94

Best at V St location:   Tie: Radiohead / Teenage Fanclub  8/12/97
                                      Bryan Ferry Orchestra  11/3/99

Worst at V St:   Sugar Ray  7/30/97

serpent boy

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2010, 12:08:49 am »
I also haven't been visiting the club as long as some of you folk.

BEST: Cat Power (Feb. 2009) or Spiritualized (July 2008). I know the Cat Power show caught a lot of flack on here, but I was up close enough to see everything, and I thought the dark atmosphere lent a lot to an ethereal quality. Chan sounded awesome and I'm a big fan of the Jukebox-era persona. "The Moon" and "Ramblin' (Wo)man" blew me away.

WORST: I don't know if I have one. I didn't really want to see Hanson in 2007 (my wife dragged me there), but they sounded fine. Helmet sounded pretty bad in 2004 but that's no surprise. BRMC was too damn loud last month. Squeeze last year was just OK.

helicon1

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2010, 04:53:11 am »
Easy. Worst: Dave Navarro played a solo concert in 2001. He was on stage for about 30 minutes straining to remain in key when finally he announced "Guys, I just don't have it tonight" and walked off stage. End of show.

vansmack

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2010, 12:25:08 pm »
Best new club:
Social D (November 2001)
I've seen some great shows, but Mike Ness was in top form this night. It just stands out as being one of those incredible evenings that I'll never forget.

Agreed.  I was dating a crazy girl at that period of my life and she walked out of that show with my jacket, keys, wallet and phone, but I DIDN'T CARE ONE BIT.
27>34

eltee

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2010, 08:42:22 pm »
I recall for some of you Badly Drawn Boy was the worst show at the new club...? I'm trying to recall...

eltee

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2010, 08:46:18 pm »
Weird, I didn't think that Vines show was too bad. Seem to remember the opener being good but can't remember who it was.
I thought it was The Vines who opened for someone else, but now I think, was it Jet who opened for The Vines?
*edit* just looked it up - yep, Jet opened for Vines (in 2004, anyway). Those f'ers smoked a carton of cigarettes in about five minutes in the upstairs bar after their set, while acting aloof to the ladies who approached them. Damn annoying night overall.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:57:25 pm by Sugartastic Tee »

Vas Deferens

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2010, 09:54:54 pm »
Tied for worst show I saw at the new club: Happy Mondays and Tragically Hip (both last year)
(_|_)

Sir HC

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2010, 09:30:08 pm »
Best at F St Location:   Jane's Addiction 12/15/88
Worst at F St:   Counting Crows  1/19/94

Best at V St location:   Tie: Radiohead / Teenage Fanclub  8/12/97
                                      Bryan Ferry Orchestra  11/3/99

Worst at V St:   Sugar Ray  7/30/97

Saw Janes at that show, it was a great one.  Not sure if it was the best though, but then again I never caught a bad show at the old club.

Think that the best at the old club might have been the Orb.  Live drummer and bassist, triphonic (the mono house PA and the stereo back speakers).  Otherwise, maybe Husker Du when Bob looked at the video woman all night, or the many Butthole Surfers shows.

New club?  Worst is easy.  Dispatch.  The advantage of working occasionally you see bands you otherwise would miss.  THese guys at the time were a MySpace sensation, and they didn't have the chops to pull it off live.  THey flubbed notes left and right, no continuity, just bad.

Best, gack so many, the last Spiritualized (HE SMASHED HIS GUITAR!!!!), Sigur Ros (THe drummer is the secret weapon), Love and Rockets, or the Chemical Brothers (Just wow).

More too, but if I said them all I would be here all night.

Crap, Superdrag when GUided couldn't make it, they were amazing.

Sir HC

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2010, 09:31:36 pm »
Tied for worst show I saw at the new club: Happy Mondays and Tragically Hip (both last year)

I guess that I was so willing to give the Happy Mondays a ton of extra rope that I was still quite happy.  One friend puts it top 10.

atomicfront

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2010, 10:22:19 pm »
I recall for some of you Badly Drawn Boy was the worst show at the new club...? I'm trying to recall...

I saw Badly Drawn Boy at the new club but it wasn't terrible.  Just ok.  I think I did leave before the end of the set. 

hutch

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2010, 09:20:32 am »
beck was dissapointing....l and r were great as were the warhols openin for them

Unsanity

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2010, 02:15:28 am »
I was way too young for the old club.

Best current club show: The Cramps with Shortstack and the Gore Gore Girls fall 2004

Worst: Adema w/ Powerman 5000 and Spineshank summer 2003

Sir HC

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2010, 08:50:00 am »
I was way too young for the old club.

Best current club show: The Cramps with Shortstack and the Gore Gore Girls fall 2004

Was that with all the big circles hanging from the ceiling from the early show with Nancy Sinatra or a different time?

Unsanity

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2010, 01:26:52 am »
I cannot remember that detail. Maybe. It was the only time I saw The Cramps and I think it was actually the last time they ever played DC.

I do remember Lux raving about how DC has the best crack (while his upper lip looked burnt brown) and Poison Ivy looked pissed off. Great show!

andyrichter

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2010, 08:20:49 am »
I cannot remember that detail. Maybe. It was the only time I saw The Cramps and I think it was actually the last time they ever played DC.

I do remember Lux raving about how DC has the best crack (while his upper lip looked burnt brown) and Poison Ivy looked pissed off. Great show!

I remember that show.  Lux was chugging on a Merlot the whole night.  He still remains in my top 5 greatest frontmen I've ever seen.  That was indeed the last time they ever played DC.  What a great show. 

And that was not the show following Nancy Sinatra.  I remember because I was pissed I had to miss that late show.  Luckily, they came back and I got to see them.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 10:00:25 am by andyrichter »