Author Topic: Belle and Sebastian thread  (Read 10073 times)

Hieronymus

Re: Belle and Sebastian thread
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2010, 01:41:02 am »
Show was absolutely lovely.

I can't really rate B+S shows against other shows. Not that they're better than everything else, but they make me feel so goddamned good. Just shockingly enjoyable.

Great setlist, Sinister bitches gonna bitch.

Also, two lame clapping dudes onstage deserve the clap/a flogging.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2010, 01:59:28 am »
Lord Anthony is just an incredible song. Classic B&S song. Sounds so wimsy, but its core is very deep and raw.

Also, the new version of Piazza sucks. Like when Pearl Jam did the new Jeremy. The whole point is just Stuart, guitar and listeners (and a little Stuart). IN-TI-MATE.

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2010, 03:53:52 am »
and we were allowed to bring drinks to our seats tonight - woohoo!  i really think that decision depends on the crowd.  tonight's was pretty sedate.

you're welcome.

Here's the thing

« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2010, 07:42:25 am »
that was a fuckin' blast.  it was my first time seeing belle & seb, wasn't expecting to have that much fun.  one needs a certain taste/tolerance for saccharin, 'cause the band served it up perfectly.  through someone's generosity we were upgraded to fifth row just off the center aisle - awesome!  i thought the crowd was a tad lame at times, but one can only expect so much given the music.  the first 4 people pulled up on stage were an embarrassment.

highlight for me was the two girls who held up the "elope with us" sign during the encore.  first off they were cute as buttons, and the glow that they had on their faces when stuart called them over to the stage, held up their sign, then walked through the crowd with them was just damn priceless.  B&S put you in such a good mood, the whole experience was infectious.

Completely agree on all counts....I didn't plan to go, but pulled up a pair in section B, row 3 on a whim about two weeks ago. I am so glad I did. That was the most fun I have had at a regular show in a long time. (I did have a great time at Freefest, but that was all-day-long fun, not just the band.)

James Ford

« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2010, 08:19:10 am »
that's not very twee as fuck

If the assholes sitting behind me who were yelling "Fuck Canada" and "Just play the fucking song, we already know it" when Stuart was talking about This is Just a Modern Rock Song happen to read this board, I hope you die a slow death in a trash compactor. And take your woman to see a fucking dentist for her crossword smile.

eros

« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2010, 09:06:57 am »
Just want to echo what everyone else has said, what a great time.  Stuart is a great showman.  Nice to run into sweetcell as well.  No "Your Cover's Blown" and only 1 song from "Life Pursuit" (which I think is a great record), but that's the way it goes.

I did think it was weird that there were several times between songs where the hall was dead silent (outside of the tools shouting song requests).

ʎɐʍou

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2010, 10:37:10 am »
and we were allowed to bring drinks to our seats tonight - woohoo!  i really think that decision depends on the crowd.  tonight's was pretty sedate.

you're welcome.

thatguy - if you were in any way involved with the decision to let drinks in - THANK YOU!

I did think it was weird that there were several times between songs where the hall was dead silent (outside of the tools shouting song requests).

yeah, the silence between songs was eerie at times... felt like we were at a classical music concert.

only pic that i took with my camera phone (it's now my background)

<sig>

bearman🐻

« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2010, 10:41:06 am »
Sweetcell and NKOTB, thanks for saying hi! I'm really glad that I had a chance to finally meet in person. Thatguy, it's always great to chat with you. You're awesome, we love you.

I thought the show started off kind of slow at first...agreed with the comments that the audience was a little lame, but everyone warmed up after a while. Kind of reminds me of last time I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl, which started off as a PERFORMANCE...polite clapping, no chatter between songs, everyone in their seats. By the end, people went apeshit and were dancing and charging for the stage. It was hilarious.

Stuart is a total showman...definitely some good surprises in the setlist. Also agreed on the lame people that got pulled up on stage, they looked like they had absolutely no idea what to do once they were up there. When a band as dorky as Belle and Sebastian still manages to be cool, the regular dorks really don't stand a chance. Highlights were when my buddy I was with got a signed football because it was his birthday (thanks to Sarah) and when hearing those Elopement girls squeal when Stuart went down the center aisle with them. So cute. Great show.

wml7

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2010, 11:00:20 am »
It was indeed a great show  ;D

Relaxer

« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2010, 11:30:35 am »
There is no other rock band in the world in which Stevie Jackson could be a member. Seriously, some people just end up in an ideal environment for success, and Stevie did just that.

I wonder how many relatives and long-time neighbor/friends say to themselves "Can y'believe lil Stevie went off and became a rock star now? Little sensitive Stevie, what with the asthma and the cardigans and love for ducklins! In a rock and roll band!"
oword

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2010, 11:47:10 am »

You look really close to where I was sitting.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2010, 11:53:47 am »
You look really close to where I was sitting.

indeed.  i was holding my camera way out to the left 'cause i wanted a slightly more side-angle shot, in reality i was sitting much close to center than the pic seems to imply (4 seats in from the center aisle, 5th or 6th row).  looking straight on, i was between sarah and stuart.

still buzzing from last night.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2010, 12:43:58 pm »
Based on the second picture, Norah Jones has really let herself go. What a shame.

BookerT

« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2010, 03:27:40 pm »
i think the show was more "fun" than "great" but that's the kind of band B&S is these days. you can complain about setlist for any show they do because they have such a deep catalog. i didn't mind the lack of "sinister" songs, but the new songs are pretty flat. "lord anthony" was especially pretty poignant given some recent events. "arab strap" (except those lame dancers)/"sleep the clock around" was a great back-to-back.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2010, 04:13:06 pm »
you can complain about setlist for any show they do because they have such a deep catalog.

On the other hand, if you've been keeping up with their recent setlists, our setlist was pretty predictable. I'd say Dirty Dream No. 2 and I Fought in a War were the only two real surprises as they hadn't been playing either lately.