Author Topic: shooting near the club tonight  (Read 23439 times)

killsaly

Re: shooting near the club tonight
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2010, 01:02:13 pm »
But just wait....it'll change again.
Whats that supposed to mean, that it will get bad again? 

I work in SE by the stadium, have been for years, and there is no way that area would ever get as bad as it was before the stadium was built.  I used to always have to be on guard getting to work or going to Nation when it was open, but now I feel relatively safe. 

So did you mean it (dc) will change for the better again, or get worse? 

I personally think it will continue to get better.  But maybe im just a bit of an optimist. 

walkonby

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2010, 02:05:34 pm »
you know . . . if a white person had said what ardamus said . . . man this place would still be exploding with, "you're a racist.  ban the person from the boards."

If a straight person says "that's gay," do you take it differently than if a gay person says it?

no . . . it's all gay.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2010, 02:10:14 pm »

They prefer to discuss really important matters like the quality of their $80 Merriweather seats....(always relevant) "Smashing Pumpkins" presales...

this is primarily a music forum, right?

_\|/_

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2010, 09:17:30 pm »

I think we should introduce "Ardamus" as a verb meaning "to completely cut through the hysterical 9:30 forum bullshit with actual life experiences."   Well played, sir.

Shootings outside the club are WAY too "real life" for most of the denizens here.  They prefer to discuss really important matters like the quality of their $80 Merriweather seats....(always relevant) "Smashing Pumpkins" presales...white guys loving soccer/hockey....how f*cking HILARIOUS Conan O'Brien is..........and i phones.

Please don't cause them to lose their focus.

Brian

Haha at this post. I'm not trying to be a buzzkill or even keep it real like that. All I'm trying to do is have an honest conversation since it was brought up. I'm waiting for Julie aka The WELEBRITY to show up in this thread and start talking trash as usual. Brian.....if we ever meet, homie.....I got you on drink. And thats real.

But just wait....it'll change again.
Whats that supposed to mean, that it will get bad again? 

I work in SE by the stadium, have been for years, and there is no way that area would ever get as bad as it was before the stadium was built.  I used to always have to be on guard getting to work or going to Nation when it was open, but now I feel relatively safe. 

So did you mean it (dc) will change for the better again, or get worse? 

I personally think it will continue to get better.  But maybe im just a bit of an optimist. 

I mean it will get better for some and worse for others; thats all over DC, especially in SE where there's tons of homes for sale that they focusing on re-structuring (especially parts of Anacostia where the view of DC is official). And I know how things were at the Nation. I used to go up there every once and while and check out shows like De La Soul and The Roots rockin' there. You sound like you know some folks who've been in this city for a minute. I've talked to quite a few heads who've been in this city for a minute that point out the patterns of th changes DC goes through.

you know . . . if a white person had said what ardamus said . . . man this place would still be exploding with, "you're a racist.  ban the person from the boards."

Hey, I got attacked for making a joke about hipsters in one thread. I'm not surprised my point is getting questioned in this thread either. LOL.

First of all, I'm an Howard alumni; don't twist up what I'm saying. I know a bit more about the neighborhood than you'd know. For example, the freshman dorm for the guys, Drew Hall, is two streets away from Hobart which used to be (and still sort of is) a notorious block for all kinds of shit. Second of all, don't joke about that happening around in the area of Howard University. Do your research and you'll find out about crimes that took place outside of the campus area of where Howard is. Have you ever walked around Columbia Rd at night? How about taking trip up Georgia Ave. NW towards Petiworth around 1am like you're on your way to the Penthouse? Do some of those things and get back to me. When I used to go around those parts, anything could happen uptown. Don't sleep.

I still don't get why you're saying that Howard is the cause of all that, which is what your post basically said.    Anyway I haven't been up that way on Georgia since the Foxy Playground got shut down.

No no no. I did not say that. I said the area surrounding Howard. Pay attention to what I just posted.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2010, 11:56:03 am »
All you need to know about Near SE pre-ballpark was that the Federal Bureau of Prisons in 1992 wanted to built a prison where the McDonald's is at South Capitol and I St.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2010, 02:57:48 pm »
All you need to know about Near SE pre-ballpark was that the Federal Bureau of Prisons in 1992 wanted to built a prison where the McDonald's is at South Capitol and I St.

And in the 1960s, the Feds wanted to pave Rock Creek Park over with a six-lane highway bisecting the city.  What's your point?

_\|/_

walkonby

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 03:34:20 pm »
i like banana splits.  with nuts.  and two cherries, not one.  thank you.

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 09:24:13 pm »

And in the 1960s, the Feds wanted to pave Rock Creek Park over with a six-lane highway bisecting the city.  What's your point?

Developers run the city, homie. With that, the money comes in when the housing market goes through gentrification in certain areas. And lets not get into how big business is tied into the real estate of prisons. Given that DC has a high crime rate, they can make money off of locking up criminals. But thats a different topic.

Mobius

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 11:16:34 pm »
whoever shot anyone near the club either genuinely had good reason or is just totally on the wrong side of history.  the area is dominated by nice condos, sports bars, nice bars lounges . . . ben's is a freaking disney-like attraction at this point.  some people don't get it.  some people are stuck in the past.  i mean if you're with it enough to have a cell phone, let alone a smartphone or whatnot, you should know better than to shoot anyone near the club.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2010, 04:26:37 am »
What's with this singular mindset? There's a whole host of different sorts of people who float through the area and some of them are rather sleazy. Obviously, not as many as at one time but to deny that a few at some point don't venture through, or might even live there, is just total denial or stupidity. Take your pick. I guess all those smash and grabs were just drunken accidents. People falling towards cars and their elbows catch the windows on a bad angle.  ::)  You've got all kinds of dynamics going on all within one area and a few of those aren't to the majority of locals and visitors' best interest. In fact, the multi-dynamic social environment is why so many people love major international cities such as DC but most people know that you have to put up with, at least, a little bad along with the good. And then there's the crappy economy which is definitly going to bring grief to any neighborhood. Not everyone in DC has some gravy government job. There's a lot of people hurting all over. That's going to bring the worst out in a few. Plus you've got a few gangs who float through the area. Might even live there for all I know. What about that girl gang who stabbed someone, I don't know, maybe a year ago? Just face it, it's not all hipsters and buppies populating the U St. corridor. The sooner you realize that, the safer you will be. Maybe not enough to avoid the area but definitely enough to always bring your street smarts along with you.

Doomie, I suspect that you and Ardamus are much more in the same camp than is apparent in this thread. Kind of think that you just got off on the wrong foot. Hope you two kiss and make up. Well, at least start over and toast a virtual pint or something.  ;)

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2010, 08:31:36 am »
^^^^No problem with Doom at all. Matter of fact, I'm enjoying this subject. I get to see where he's coming from and vice versa. I don't kiss and make up, LOL, with other guys.  :D We just say fuck it, apologize, and drink some brew together.

You brought up some damn good points. Not only is it an issue with gangs and people being affected by the economy, you have to look at some of these guys doing this are ex-cons in the city. Some of these dudes got locked up before some of these new places were developed. They get released and think "what the fuck? what happened to my neighborhood?". They don't expect to see so many people that appear to have money (mostly white but other races are included) in their area now. And some of these ex-cons are cats who got popped in ths 90s or early to mid-2000s that think that.

DC is a transient city. Its where tourists become residents then leave. And sometimes come back. I think thats part of why the social dymanic of DC is what it is. Its very interesting. No doubt about that. But like Jaguar said, to certain degree have that street smarts with you. You might be feeling all good coming out of UHALL from a great night but if you walk down the back street to get to your place, always keep an eye out and be aware of your surroundings.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2010, 09:17:17 am »
^^^^No problem with Doom at all. Matter of fact, I'm enjoying this subject. I get to see where he's coming from and vice versa. I don't kiss and make up, LOL, with other guys.  :D We just say fuck it, apologize, and drink some brew together. 
gay
‼‼?‼‼

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2010, 09:53:22 am »
gay

racist

walkonby

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2010, 09:57:21 am »
somebody please lock this thread.  it's become fucking stupid.

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2010, 09:58:55 am »
somebody please lock this thread.  it's become fucking stupid.

Death came from above and look what happened. LOL.