Author Topic: shooting near the club tonight  (Read 23440 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
shooting near the club tonight
« on: June 09, 2010, 11:58:02 pm »
apparently a shooting went down tonight at 8th & V, in the parking lot that is kitty-corner from the back door (stage door) of the 930 club: Three men shot, seriously wounded in Northwest Washington's Shaw neighborhood.  a police spokesman said it was gang-related, so you're still safe walkies :D

i learned of this on a local news show, and the announcer mentioned the name of the club in a really funny way, as if it was a shady place: the shooting took place close to the "930 Club", a local music venue....  there was a pause before "930" and you could hear the air quotes in her voice.  sounded like she should have thrown in the word "alleged" in front of "930".  weird.  how can one announce local news and not have heard of the club?

in other news, that parking lot is schedule for redevelopment.  it will become retail space... which means less parking available for 930 patrons.  maybe they'll put in restaurant too.
<sig>

walkonby

Re: shooting near the club tonight
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 09:19:17 am »
oh lord.  thanks sweet for making me even more nervous.  you know how us "country folk" are in those big ole scary cities.   ;)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 09:28:14 am »
I knew that whole area was sketchy, this totally proves it. Never hesistating to not go to another show there ever again.
‼‼?‼‼

thirsty moore

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 09:42:07 am »
I was in that area last night at Duffy's having a beer before the Brian Jonestown Massacre gig. Nothing seemed out of line.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 10:24:54 am »
I didn't get down there til about 8:30, by that time the blocks behind the club were shut off.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 10:30:55 am »
how were BJM? I got lazy......
(_|_)

thirsty moore

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 10:48:20 am »
Follow along here.

wml7

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 11:03:43 am »
god, why do I always miss the good action  ;D

James Ford

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 11:10:38 am »
It's all Anton's fault.

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:26:41 pm »
Never be surprised about what can go down around the uptown area. Especially with it being close to Howard. Years ago, even before I moved here, I remember U Street was not even an area to walk around in. Even before you saw Allero's, Ulah, and etc. It sucks but this is DC. If you read the paper everyday then you know whats up.

hutch

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 11:34:07 pm »
I used to walk between 18th and Florida and 930 club along U street back in 1996/1997/1998..

It was definitely sketchy once you got past State of the Union....particularly during summer you'd walk fast..

Its amazing how much its changed.

notme

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 12:55:01 am »
^^ wow, what's wrong with 930 being by howard?  are you implying something that i do not want to mention?

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 03:16:09 am »
Never be surprised about what can go down around the uptown area. Especially with it being close to Howard. Years ago, even before I moved here, I remember U Street was not even an area to walk around in. Even before you saw Allero's, Ulah, and etc. It sucks but this is DC. If you read the paper everyday then you know whats up.

Which is exactly why Walkie doesn't like to do his walking in the neighborhood. But yeah, I remember a time when I didn't even like driving around Florida Avenue! Way back then, I use to always get lost in DC on my way home and would end up around there every single time! It's so much better now but that doesn't mean that it's Spic & Span clean either. Let's just say that it's much, much better but not some Metropolitan Disneyland. Now I feel totally safe driving and safe enough to walk around by myself to some degree. However, always wise to continue bringing your street smarts along with you while venturing into any part of DC; or any city, for that matter. The complete deniers kill me. They are full of so much bravado and almost deserve some sort of incident to happen to them to set them straight. I'm just not mean enough though to remove that word 'almost'.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 07:45:58 am »
Never be surprised about what can go down around the uptown area. Especially with it being close to Howard.

What does being near the nation's premier African-American university have to do with anything?   You think Howard's student body of aspiring buppies are out shooting people up? 
_\|/_

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 09:38:37 am »
Never be surprised about what can go down around the uptown area. Especially with it being close to Howard.

What does being near the nation's premier African-American university have to do with anything?   You think Howard's student body of aspiring buppies are out shooting people up? 

First of all, I'm an Howard alumni; don't twist up what I'm saying. I know a bit more about the neighborhood than you'd know. For example, the freshman dorm for the guys, Drew Hall, is two streets away from Hobart which used to be (and still sort of is) a notorious block for all kinds of shit. Second of all, don't joke about that happening around in the area of Howard University. Do your research and you'll find out about crimes that took place outside of the campus area of where Howard is. Have you ever walked around Columbia Rd at night? How about taking trip up Georgia Ave. NW towards Petiworth around 1am like you're on your way to the Penthouse? Do some of those things and get back to me. When I used to go around those parts, anything could happen uptown. Don't sleep.