Author Topic: The Case Against Coldplay  (Read 6356 times)

novadancer

Re: The Case Against Coldplay
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2005, 12:24:00 pm »
this thread isn't worth a coldplay fan's response that's why...  :mad:

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2005, 12:50:00 pm »
well if everyone is currently on the coldplay backlash, guess it will just mean nissan will be a little bit more empty  :)  

FWIW the new coldplay album is quite good. upon first listen i enjoyed it a lot!
HeyLa

vansmack

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2005, 01:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by amnesiac:
  Coldplay's Album Cover Decoded
I hope I'm not the only one that thinks this is really fuckin' cool.
27>34

bearman🐻

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2005, 01:56:00 pm »
I love Britpop...I was way into Blur, Oasis, the Charlatans, Travis, etc. I still enjoy a lot of that music. However, Coldplay does nothing for me. Why? Chris Martin. I don't relate to him, I don't like the sound of his voice. That part about the yelp/hiccup thing is priceless. Coldplay isn't a bad band, but I just really don't feel the need to own their music because it doesn't translate into what GREAT music should be to my ears. They are inoffensive, but they also lack that certain something that catches my ear and makes me actually ENJOY them.

This is the thing. You can have an artist (for example) like Elliott Smith, who taps into a subconscious. There are some musicians who are great at being the sensitive guy/girl who sighs a lot and would rather sit with an acoustic guitar and let you peer into their sad, hollow souls. But the thing is that their lyrics and music are so vibrant that you realize there is no faking or b.s. happening.

In Elliott's case, his visions and alienation come through, his songs connect into that part of the human psyche where it seems as though life revolves around love, hurt, beauty, pain, relationships, interactions, experience. In other words, there is a rawness that isn't always nice, but we can truly feel what he is telling us and we RELATE. For example, when Elliott sang "why would you want any other when you're a world within a world?" it spoke volumes...his images were striking because they never seemed contrived and he never insulted our intelligence.

I get the impression that Chris Martin wants to be that kind of songwriter that we connect with and swoon for, but he also wants to spoon feed us. From what I've heard of Coldplay, they're the type of band that water down the ugliness in an effort to appeal to more folks, and as a result the music loses that realness. Life ain't always pretty or nice, but when someone tries to be nice it comes across as dull. It's a double-edged sword. How do you be earnest without being boring or whiney? The ultimate mistake a lot of artists make is when they start believing they're great and then they stop making music for themselves...instead, they start making what they THINK people want to hear, and that's the kiss of death. (Moby being a perfect example...and I remember seeing an interview with Peter Frampton where he said this was true.)

My guess is that Chris Martin is under a lot of pressure, it doesn't help that he's putting himself in the spotlight by marrying someone like that Paltrow girl. It's tough when everyone wants you to sell records and then become the next U2 or whatever. I don't envy Coldplay because what happens to them with this record determines their long-term success. They're not an evil horrible band by any means, but they definitely are one that I feel complete indifference towards.

sonickteam2

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2005, 02:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by amnesiac:
  Coldplay's Album Cover Decoded
I hope I'm not the only one that thinks this is really fuckin' cool. [/b]
why is it cool?

vansmack

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2005, 02:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by bearman:
  Coldplay...I feel complete indifference towards.
Thank you for the inspiration of my next album title:  

Indifference in a 500 Word Essay
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2005, 02:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam4:
  why is it cool?
One step closer to being the only one...
27>34

xcanuck

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2005, 02:09:00 pm »
Does anyone remember seeing Coldplay opening for someone at the 930. Maybe I'm suffering from dementia...but I seem to recall they did play there on the first US tour.

Not that I'd pay the ridiculous amounts of money required to see them in huge arenas these days. When they first came out, that whole low-key Britpop sound was relatively fresh and interesting. It's been flogged to death since then (boy, sounds like the way people crapped all over STP after SP, PJ, Nirvana, etc flooded the airways). I don't find Coldplay offensive. I rather enjoy their stuff but only as background music or something I'd pay $15 for at the Club.

ggw

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2005, 02:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by O'Mankie:
 Over here in spud-land, some are saying Coldplay are going to knock U2 off their "greatest rock band to ever grace a stage" pedestal. I laugh mockingly at such a comment, but on the other hand....at least Martin won't be as self-righteous and as much an interferring do-gooder who actually knows squat about what he's preaching about, at least I hope not. Naw...that's would be impossible.

How long before Bono announces his intention to run for office?

bearman🐻

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2005, 02:32:00 pm »
Ha ha ha...I can laugh at myself Vansmack, and you're right. But I'm NOT indifferent to what I perceive to be good music and I think it's actually kind of fun to speculate what will happen to a band like Coldplay. That's the thing about the music business...a band like Travis never made it, but Coldplay sold a lot more records and yet Travis seemed to have more personality, more appeal (they're not bad-looking guys or mopey), and better songs. I guess sometimes marketing and timing have a lot to do with it. Also, I think that the original article makes a valid point that Coldplay just doesn't seem as interesting as a lot of other bands, and yet they have managed to tap into something that a lot of folks enjoy and like. You can count me in the minority like the writer who aren't buying into it. Our opinions ultimately mean nothing, but it's fun to chime in on the Band of the Moment.

vansmack

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2005, 02:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by xcanuck:
  Does anyone remember seeing Coldplay opening for someone at the 930. Maybe I'm suffering from dementia...but I seem to recall they did play there on the first US tour.
I'm pretty sure their first US gig was KROQ Acoutsic Xmas in LA in like 2000.  Then in 2001 I drove to Philly to see them play with Grandaddy (sort of a co-headline thing although Coldplay came on last), and finally they played the 9:30 in the summer of 2002 - they definitely headlined that gig.  They may have played an HFS gig in DC before then that you might be thinking about - like the HFS Nutcracker thing or soemthing?
27>34

amnesiac

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2005, 02:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  Then in 2001 I drove to Philly to see them play with Grandaddy (sort of a co-headline thing although Coldplay came on last
I saw them on this tour at Radio City Music Hall. So many people left after they played "Yellow." Amazing - they paid $20+ to hear one song...

Yank

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2005, 02:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by novadancer:
  this thread isn't worth a coldplay fan's response that's why...   :mad:  
Don't feel bad, someone's got to like bad music! I swear it was me that said "the masses are asses."

vansmack

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2005, 02:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by bearman:
  Ha ha ha...I can laugh at myself Vansmack, and you're right. But I'm NOT indifferent to what I perceive to be good music
I was just taking the piss.  I can see how many people feel the same way about Coldplay as you do.
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2005, 02:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by xcanuck:
  (boy, sounds like the way people crapped all over STP after SP, PJ, Nirvana, etc flooded the airways)
not that it really matters to this discussion, but i thought STP came a year or two after all those bands, and that's why people crapped all over their watered down and derivative tunage
(o|o)