Author Topic: Record Stores  (Read 5131 times)

Bags

Re: Record Stores
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2005, 03:15:00 pm »
Holy crap that Nick Hornby appearance looks amazing...alas, a super good friend is having a fundraiser that same night....

Too much to do!

bearman🐻

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2005, 04:06:00 pm »
I went to Amoeba on Haight in San Francisco this past weekend. <DROOL> Easily my favorite record store to go into. Unreal.

no pussyfooting

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2005, 06:05:00 pm »
I work at Record & Tape Exchange in Fairfax City and it's a rocking place, it's right next to the Trader Joe's at the intersection of Main St. and Pickett. We have tons of cool vinyl and CDs (CDs generally priced at $7.99) and the people who work here aren't jerks.

the website's www.rtxrecords.com

also check out McKay's used books & CDs in Centreville, their CDs are kinda unorganized but they have a whole bunch of awesome stuff for $3.49.

HomesickAlien

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2005, 11:04:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Or you could go see Nick Hornby on Thursday:

Thursday, June 9 at 7:00PM || Nick Hornby || At Olsson's Arlington/Courthouse, 2111 Wilson Blvd., 703-525-4227

Author of "High Fidelity" and "Fever Pitch," Nick Hornby reads from his latest novel, A Long Way Down. Meet Martin, JJ, Jess, and Maureen: a former TV talk show host; a musician; a teenage girl; and a mother. They encounter one another on New Year's Eve on the roof of Topper's House, a London destination famous as the last stop for those ready to end their lives. In four distinct and riveting first! -person voices, Nick Hornby tells a story of four individuals confronting the limits of choice, circumstance, and their own mortality.
Does it cost anything?? Sounds pretty good..

ggw

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2005, 11:16:00 am »
Originally posted by HomesickAlien:
 Does it cost anything?? Sounds pretty good..
Free.

http://www.olssons.com/cgi-cart/events.pl#5901

kcjones119

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2005, 08:28:00 am »
Did anyone end up going to the Hornby thing?  How was it?

donthitme

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2005, 11:15:00 pm »
what is the address of snarky records exactly? I'd like to check it out. Thank you

Captain Jack

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2005, 10:58:00 am »
CD/Game Exchange= best shot for sweet used sundries.
 Don't let the name fool ye', it was "hip" when it was called Record Exchange.
 Note: Crooked Beat buys tons of vinyl at CD/Game, marks it up threefold, and gets to ogle skinny kids in a "historic" basement.

Bags

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2005, 01:02:00 pm »
November 20, 2005

Foraging
 Cambridge, Mass: Cheapo Records
 By AUSTIN CONSIDINE, The New York Times

For the serious music collector, a quality mom-and-pop record store is almost a kind of temple, a calm sanctuary where the patient and persistent seeker reaps the greater reward. Cheapo Records, on Central Square in Cambridge, is among those few places that sell long-playing records and even 45's.

The location of Cheapo, one of several record stores in the area, illustrates the uneasy place it occupies. Flanked by a Walgreens and a Starbucks, the store has been selling records in Central Square in one form or another since 1948. It once occupied two floors, but now has just one, under a bank.

The view to its entrance is further obscured from street traffic by a steel and glass subway entrance. And as if to reassure passers-by of its abiding relevance, a sign in the window exclaims, "Yes! We have CD's!"

Cheapo's longevity says much about the tenacity of its customers and the quality of its collection. Employees estimate the store has more than 100,000 vinyl LP's and about 100,000 45's, with hundreds of thousands more in storage. Many, both new and used, are highly collectible. Recent acquisitions included a first pressing of Jimmy Smith's "Root Down" (1972) for $30 and an original copy of "Mississippi Blues" by Bukka White (1964), $25.

"If you happen to be through here and you collect New Orleans, Cajun, zydeco, country, blues, this, that we probably have as good a selection as you'll ever see," said Allen Day, the store's owner since the late 1970's.

Mr. Day is as much a fixture among local audiophiles as his store is. One half expects the owner to resemble Jack Black's character in "High Fidelity," kicking out customers for daring to buy records they aren't deemed worthy of. But Mr. Day is as affable as one could hope for in a place with such a collection, treating customers to anecdotes and histories behind their purchases. In turn, customers, notoriously reluctant to betray gaps in their own knowledge, acknowledge that Mr. Day's expertise is a major reason they come back.

Recently, John Williams, a longtime customer, flipped through the record bins the same way he has been doing there for about 30 years. "You can't shop anywhere else," he said. "There's just no place that can compare with it."

Cheapo is at 645 Massachusetts Avenue, (617) 354-4455. It opens at 10 a.m. daily and at 11 on Sunday.

bellenseb

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2005, 06:19:00 pm »
Aron's in LA is closing. The end is nigh!

Aron's is closing

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 03:09:54 pm »
i can't find the most recently active "i heart vinyl" thread, so i'm posting this here:

Sun Feb 14- DC RECORD FAIR w/ DJs Eric Hilton, Ian MacKaye, Geologist, Kid Congo Powers, Bluebrain, Casper Bangs $2 Mainstage 12:00-6:00

DC Record Fair at the Black Cat
What better way to show someone that their taste in music has you swooning than joining us on Valentine's Day for a little rummage through the crates? Thirty dealers from up and down the East Coast will be here. It will be love at first sight. Or listen. Either way.

Featuring DJ sets by...
Bluebrain 12pm-1pm
Geologist (Animal Collective) 1pm-2pm
Kid Congo Powers (The Cramps, The Gun Club) 2pm-3pm
Eric Hilton (Thievery Corp.) 3pm-4pm
Ian MacKaye (Evens) 4pm-5pm
Rob (Casper Bangs) 5pm-6pm

The Vinyl District
Som Records
DC Soul Recordings
<sig>

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 04:22:34 pm »
Sun Feb 14- DC RECORD FAIR w/ DJs Eric Hilton, Ian MacKaye, Geologist, Kid Congo Powers, Bluebrain, Casper Bangs $2 Mainstage 12:00-6:00

Records + Beer = WIN!

hutch

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 04:38:15 pm »

Records + Beer = WIN!

nothing better than having a buzz while record shopping ("Yeah.. I bet it will play right through that gouge no prob!"

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 06:21:15 pm »
that was a sad day. I used to buy everything there!

Aron's in LA is closing. The end is nigh!

Aron's is closing
HeyLa