Author Topic: Free Frest 2010 Get to Know the Bands  (Read 8861 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Free Frest 2010 Get to Know the Bands
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 01:26:05 pm »
(_|_)

Hieronymus

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 09:57:52 am »
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros:

A contrived mix of 00s indie rock poses -- Devendra Banhart hippy aesthetics, the occasional Beirut horn, country-via-Band of Horses, a dash of Elephant Six 60s pop-aping. Gag-inducingly cute and soullessly quirky. Among the ranks of this band of champions: an ex-American Apparel model, an actress who's on ABC Family, LA hipster trash, and most egregiously, the lead singer Alex Ebert who takes on a messianic "alter ego" and a hideous haircut as the eponymous Sharpe.

Maddeningly vacuous, this band belongs to the school of thought that says that if you put a lot of people onstage at one time wearing funky clothing and playing assorted "obscure" instruments, the kids will be dazzled.

This is like an even worse, outdated version of Polyphonic Spree.

Avoid this band at all costs.

Essential songs:

None

How the fuck does anyone like this?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:06:13 am by Hieronymus »

walkonby

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 10:34:41 am »
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros:

A contrived mix of 00s indie rock poses -- Devendra Banhart hippy aesthetics, the occasional Beirut horn, country-via-Band of Horses, a dash of Elephant Six 60s pop-aping. Gag-inducingly cute and soullessly quirky. Among the ranks of this band of champions: an ex-American Apparel model, an actress who's on ABC Family, LA hipster trash, and most egregiously, the lead singer Alex Ebert who takes on a messianic "alter ego" and a hideous haircut as the eponymous Sharpe.

Maddeningly vacuous, this band belongs to the school of thought that says that if you put a lot of people onstage at one time wearing funky clothing and playing assorted "obscure" instruments, the kids will be dazzled.

This is like an even worse, outdated version of Polyphonic Spree.

Avoid this band at all costs.

Essential songs:

None

How the fuck does anyone like this?

you used "worse" in the same sentence as "polyphonic spree" . . . everything you say from here on out smells like shit.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 11:10:17 am »
walkonby likes polyphonic spree ? LMAO
(_|_)

walkonby

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 11:25:53 am »

hey . . . what's wrong with that??  atleast i don't claim to like something like, pavement.

Hieronymus

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 11:37:43 am »

hey . . . what's wrong with that??  atleast i don't claim to like something like, pavement.

Actually I was gonna respond that Polyphonic Spree aren't terrible, but you just coated your own argument in shit stank by disparaging Pavement. Not that they're some sorta holy cow, or even among my favorite bands, but they've had an undeniably huge influence on the last decade's-worth of rock.

You don't have to like Pavement, but it shows something of a lack of perspective not to understand their sloppy, 90s-y appeal.

Based on the tastes you've displayed thus far, you should definitely check out Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.

BookerT

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 11:44:26 am »
We were playing in Portland, Oregon, I think it was the spring of 1994. I was wandering around town and came across this cool little record store and went in to look around. I asked the woman behind the counter if she had anything new that she liked, and she handed me Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain.

I clearly remember liking the cover and putting it on in the bus. I didn?t love it at first, but I remember thinking the first track sounded heartfelt. That was enough for me to want to play it again, after which I began to really hear the first track. I also began to notice the second track, and found myself gravitating to a couple others deeper in the record as well, like ?Range Life? probably, though at this point I didn?t even know what the songs were called. This process continued with each subsequent listen. The record just kept sounding better and better.

To make a long story short, by the end of the tour I could not stop listening. I fell in love with that record. I ended up getting everything they put out. Wowee Zowee is my favorite. Pavement was the soundtrack to the second half of the ?90s for me. I had a couple friends who felt the same way and we would quote lines to each other in the corner at parties. ?chim chim chim sing a song of praise, for your elders? They?re in the back. Pick out some Brazilian nuts, for your engagement? Check that expiration date man, it?s later than we think.?

Most of the people I hung out with didn?t really get what the big deal was, but to the friends I had who really liked Pavement at that point, it felt like we were in on a secret.

?Father to a Sister of Thought? is one of my all time favorite Pavement songs. I used to sing that song to my girls to put them to sleep??Rotten device, I?ll say it twice;? ?Angel of Corpus Christy, you?re so misty.? Listening to it now, I?m transported right back into that era, the mid to late ?90s. The busses and hotels, the parties in Burlington, the European tours. It?s really emotional.

I love Stephen Malkmus? guitar playing. Check out ?Rattled by the Rush?. He kind of reminds me of Neil Young, who?s playing I also love. They both know how to milk it. When I met Bryce Goggin he told me that the solo on ?Rattled? was one take, which didn?t surprise me because it sounds so fresh. Bryce?s genius is knowing when not to ?fix? something, which is a tough thing for a lot of producers to get. Bryce gets it. He knows that ?right? or ?perfect? usually isn?t better.

I wish I could appropriately thank those guys. Their music was a big part of my life during that emotional, turbulent period. I?ll always be grateful.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 11:44:56 am »

joe, how many spree shows have you been to?

but those were back when they were still cool, right?
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 11:46:07 am »
3 or so. Actually I was just surprised that he likes polyphonic spree...that's all...

they were cool at some point...last record was not quite good.

joe, how many spree shows have you been to?

but those were back when they were still cool, right?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:47:47 am by Vas Deferens »
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2010, 11:49:33 am »
I bet that quote was from Trey Anastasio.

Right?

P.S. I haven't heard it but supposedly Phish did a dreadful cover of "Gold Sounds."
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2010, 11:50:03 am »
oh.  i thought you were laying on the hate, when i know you've seen them a few times and liked at least one of those (if not all three).
<sig>

BookerT

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2010, 11:55:07 am »
I bet that quote was from Trey Anastasio.

Right?

P.S. I haven't heard it but supposedly Phish did a dreadful cover of "Gold Sounds."

yes, of course.

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Gold+Soundz/nTsiC

there's one version i found via quick google. musta been a real cokey time for trey cuz he butchered lots of lyrics. or maybe he was just paying tribute to malkmus and changing them on the fly.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2010, 12:00:53 pm »

Phish covering NMH songs is uncalled for.
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2010, 12:06:13 pm »
Hahaha that "Aeroplane" was lifeless.

Probably akin to having sex with a female Phish fan who had recently taken a massive shot of heroin.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:12:20 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 12:21:25 pm »
Hahaha that "Aeroplane" was lifeless.

Probably akin to having sex with a female Phish fan who had recently taken a massive shot of heroin.

seizures . . . make it feel better.