Author Topic: Arcade Fire Rollcall/ New Album Discussion  (Read 18408 times)

runwhiteyrun06

Arcade Fire Rollcall/ New Album Discussion
« on: August 03, 2010, 11:20:32 am »
First off, the new album is $3.99 on Amazon today only.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_28910_16457050_pe_00_head/?ASIN=B003X73QA8

I know a lot of us already have it, but now I will feel less guilty because I will buy a real copy.

The new album is pretty good, but so far I still think Neon Bible and Funeral are better. The album lags too much in the middle, plus a couple of the tracks just aren't very good (Month of May). However, there are some great tracks like Sprawl II and Modern Man.

Can't wait for the show Friday night! I've never seen them live but I've heard they put on a great show.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 11:25:31 am by runwhiteyrun06 »

nkotb

Re: Arcade Fire Rollcall/ New Album Discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 11:44:08 am »
I'm glad people like AF or whatever, but can everyone stop telling me that I need to see them live (already done that) and that I need to hear the new album (when I barely liked the first and didn't like the second) when I mention that I don't get why people love this band?

K8teebug

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 11:58:49 am »
I liked the first album, hated the second, and think the third one is the most blatant rip-off of the Pixies I've ever heard.

They were cute (and decent live) for about 10 seconds.

BookerT

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 11:58:57 am »
One Man's Desperate Attempt to Find a Reason to Like the Arcade Fire

(village voice)

pretty good. can add "covers jay reatard" to that list now.

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 12:01:27 pm »
Man, the hate train is at full speed this morning.

imbecile

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 12:03:09 pm »
I like the new album quite a bit.  To me at least, it's a smaller album with a bit more jangle/folk?/i don't know than i expected, but it grew on me pretty quick.  That being said there are certainly songs I skip every time they come up (thus far). 

Highlights for me include:  Rococo, Half Light II, Suburban War and Sprawl II.

As for live, I've got mixed feelings.

I saw them at the Black Cat in 2004, I think.  I also for some reason thought it was with Death From Above 1979, but that doesn't sound right at all now that I type it.  Anyway, I thought they were great.  Then I didn't catch them at all on the Funeral tour and saw them at DAR on the Neon Bible tour.  It was good, but not great, I'll blame the venue, ha.  Anyway, I'm pretty excited to see them Friday, it should be good.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 12:11:21 pm »

Whilst watching the music video for the Jill Sobule song "I Kissed a Girl":

Beavis "Hey, Butt-head.  Those houses look fake."
Butt Head: "Yeah, that's like the whole point of college music.  To make the suburbs look bad."

Brian

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 12:17:49 pm »
i think the new album is OK-to-good, but not amazing.  i listened to it a couple of times but it didn't enter my regular rotation.  i suspect that some songs will sounds amazing live, like sprawl 2 (which they've just recently started performing live - hope y'all get to hear it).

i saw AF in NYC during the neon bible tour.  it was outdoors (randall island), and it was epic.  i'd love to be at the show on friday, even with lowered expectations.  unfortunately i'll be entertaining the family.  ugh.

Whilst watching the music video for the Jill Sobule song "I Kissed a Girl":

dude, isn't that like a katie pery song?  heh heh, yeah, katie pery...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 12:19:40 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

nkotb

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 12:55:41 pm »
Unicorns.

I saw them at the Black Cat in 2004, I think. 

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 01:22:16 pm »
I really like the new record.  I can't really pick favorites between the three, they are all pretty much equal but different in my book.

Excited for the show Friday.  I loved the DAR show on the Neon Bible tour.  That was my first time seeing them.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 01:24:35 pm »
i saw AF in NYC during the neon bible tour.  it was outdoors (randall island), and it was epic.

"Nuh uh! Didn't you see Win on stage? He was acting WAY TOO COCKY up there! They also weren't LCD Soundsystem, which I AM LOL IN LOVE WITH and I am so in the tank for James Murphy I would blow him on demand in the middle of 52nd. Therefore the AF suck, no matter how good their music is."

Sin,

My idiot friend who saw the same show as you in NY and said she hated the AF after seeing them because Win acts "too cocky" on stage.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 01:26:34 pm »
I think the new album is good. I'm not a Neon Bible hater, so I can't say the Suburbs is light years better than Neon Bible. The opening track and the first half of the album are really good, I'm not so sold on the rest of the album yet. I will have to listen to it a few more times.

Yes, you DO have to see them live before you can judge them. Saw them in 05 and 07 in Chicago and both shows were INTENSE. Nothing beats In the Backseat being the final song of the night.

Not sure what to think of them playing large amphitheaters and arenas, but good for the. Won't be going to MPP on Friday, but I bet it will be fun.

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 01:41:07 pm »
Only listened to the new album twice thus far. Is certainly a very different outting from the previous two records (both of which I loved). I feel like eventually we will refer to this album as their White Album, a longer and very different album. It will grow on all of us and will end up being a nice addition to their work.

Saw them at DAR for NEON BIBLE. Will be @ MPP this friday.

vansmack

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 02:00:37 pm »
They took a boring subject (The Suburbs) about a boring place (The Suburbs) and surprise - made a boring album from it (The Suburbs).

That is all.
27>34

fatskippy

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 02:04:42 pm »
think the third one is the most blatant rip-off of the Pixies I've ever heard.

Which songs on The Suburbs are ripoffs of which Pixies songs?  If its so blatant this should be easy.