Author Topic: DC9 Employees Beat Man to Death  (Read 67565 times)

snailhook

Re: DC9 Employees Beat Man to Death
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2010, 05:03:49 am »
Seriously, Velvet Lounge fucking sucks. Sucks that DC9 is going under. Saw Plants and Animals there. One of the best shows ever.

Yes, it sucks if you're a whiny hipster who supports live music venues booked by a douchebag who ONLY books national acts forcefed by the pseudo-corporate agency triumvirate of Agency Group/Windish/Billions, or local acts that must draw "50 heads" or else they'll find themselves threatened by said booker. Same local bands will surely miss the great "door tally" and the expenses-first rip-off deal. Obviously, there's no love lost for me on this place.

I booked shows at DC9 in 2005 and 2006, and due to disinterested owners and really shitty soundmen, the vibe there was far less warm and exciting than it was at the Warehouse Next Door or the Velvet (post-Chris Connelly era). I had some good shows there despite the negativity, but the lack of support and dishonesty I received from the owners put me off enough so that I never wanted to deal with them again. Say what you want about the Velvet, but it's really the only small venue in DC that will take chances on challenging music and true independent artists. And if any of you actually went there to see these bands, you'd know that the scheduling has tightened up and many shows end before midnight during the weekday.

Anyway, this thread isn't a DC9 vs Velvet Lounge debate. I don't know the facts of this case yet, and neither does anyone else here, so I'll reserve judgment on the suspects until I hear further details. I will say this, however: under the influence of certain narcotics or revenge-fueled adrenalin or a combination of both, seemingly harmless people are capable of being violent, especially when there are five of them armed with wounded pride. And knowing two of the five being charged, I wouldn't be surprised to know that either caved in to their basest instinct to wallop a drunk asshole who threw a brick through a window at 2:30am.  

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2010, 07:09:20 am »
this thread demonstrates why I still heart this forum.
_\|/_

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2010, 11:41:54 am »
Say what you want about the Velvet, but it's really the only small venue in DC that will take chances on challenging music and true independent artists.

When they're not ripping off local musicians. Then I guess, it's OK. You guys still serving warm beer?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:43:53 am by Thousand Made-Up Loves »

hutch

« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2010, 11:44:32 am »
Say what you want about the Velvet, but it's really the only small venue in DC that will take chances on challenging music and true independent artists.

When they're not ripping off local musicians. Then I guess, it's OK. You guys still serving warm beer?

Back it up or STFU.

Epstein

• http://www.hit-dat.com
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2010, 12:41:13 pm »
Have to agree with snailhook on this one

While none of us know the dc9 facts yet (i never once saw a show there, why? cause snail hook was right on point with what he said), velvet lounge is the only "real" (not saying basements and DIY aren't real shows here, but those whining about velvet lounge, would be surprised how many DIY venues rip off the people that play there) that would take a chance on weird, avant, obscure music and art. No where else in dc would I have been able to do DNA TEST FEST, or book XENO AND OAKLANDER. no where, not dc 9, not black cat, not u street no where. I know everyone at lounge extremely well, and sure i would bet anything there have been times that bands didn't get paid what they thought they should, but at every show i've been involved with or knew people involved, bands got treated right.

velvet for what it is, is pretty rare almost anywhere as far as real venues go. trust me if the lounge was to disapear, at least for a long while, there'd be an even bigger hole in live music then dc9 disappearing. and while this is a generic thing to say and im re-hashing what snailhook said: THERE ARE MORE BANDS OUT THERE THEN JUST THE PITCHFORK BANDS AND OVER HYPED LOCAL BANDS DC9 SEEMED TO BOOK.
Kill the sound: <A HREF="Http://www.hit-dat.com" TARGET=_blank>http://Http://www.hit-dat.com[/url]

hutch

« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2010, 01:42:36 pm »
Agree with Epstein 100%.

Only saw one show at DC9. They never got any bands I wanted to see.

I miss them as a place to get my drink on before and after 930 shows.. but not for the band

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 01:45:43 pm by hutch »

blipvurt

« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2010, 02:05:32 pm »
Not privvy to their business practices but I saw a bunch of great shows there over the years.

Adam Franklin of Swervedriver was a really special one this year. Plus anyone willing to book Serena-Maneesh twice in a year gets my vote.

I think that DC9 was part of a great balance of venues established in DC over the last few years. DC9 and Velvet have nice yin and yang effect regarding indie bands. I'd be sorry to see either of them go down.

James Ford

« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2010, 02:06:05 pm »
So between them Epstein and Hutch have seen ONE show at DC9, but yet that's enough for them to both condemn the place.

Did I tell you guys about that crappy Broken Social Scene show at the Black Cat a few years back?

azaghal1981

« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2010, 02:14:12 pm »
I read no condemnation from either. Just that both said that DC9 did not book shows that either of them cared to see.

احمد

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2010, 09:37:36 pm »
The number good thing about Velvet is that for an artists it is easier to book a show there. However, if you're not careful, you can get double-booked. Its happened to me before but we straightened things out. DC9, sometimes, was hard to get gigs from. Since I was more so into indie hip hop and etc., the opening for that door was pretty slim and it was hard to get openers from time to time. But overall, I had a good repoire with the everyone there and I would just go there to have fun.

Last show I did there was with Black & Tan Fantasy Band opening up for this band NOMA. Good atmosphere as always and the show was pretty enjoyable. Not to mention, the hook up with the deck was a damn good start for something new in that place.

hutch

« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2010, 12:45:01 am »
LIke I said.. I'm sad its closed.. Hope they work it out but I think its highly doubtful...

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2010, 10:20:51 am »
Did I tell you guys about that crappy Broken Social Scene show at the Black Cat a few years back?

heh
(o|o)

walkonby

« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2010, 11:06:45 am »
some think "this person" or "that person" is the best thing going for this thread.  i think the guy who died who caused this thread to start in the first place . . . deserves all the credit for keeping it "alive."

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2010, 11:40:04 am »
some think "this person" or "that person" is the best thing going for this thread.  i think the guy who died who caused this thread to start in the first place . . . deserves all the credit for keeping it "alive."

I think the local blogosphere owes him a debt of gratitude too, for boosting their page views.
_\|/_

Relaxer

« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2010, 12:20:22 pm »

My vote goes to the person who invented glass and the satisfying sound it makes when penetrated. Absent the glass window, the thrower would've thrown a brick but the glass wouldn't have stopped it so it would've sailed through DC9 and out the back window and hit a villain who was mugging my grandma and then five bouncers would've rushed out to give the guy high fives, except one of the high fives missed and hit him in the head and he fell over and died, the end.
oword