Author Topic: Rally to Restore Sanity/Keep Fear Alive  (Read 38734 times)

walkonby

Re: Rally to Restore Sanity/Keep Fear Alive
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2010, 11:52:10 am »
Since when are you allowed to drink on the Metro?

Spent over almost 2 hours at the metro station in Vienna waiting to get a fare card then waiting for a train then finally get to the mall. We drank a lot on the train and I was completely drunk after an hour of being on the mall, regardless, we couldn't see or hear anything so we just walked over to the national gallery of art and sat around and went back home at like 4 and got home at like 7 due to trains breaking down and switching trains and finally jus grabbing a cab from Rosslyn.

My buddies drove in from Fairfax and said 66 was a breeze and they found a spot right close to the mall. Unbelievable. On the plus side, there were some amazing signs.

probably when people starting caring about marathons . . . zing.

Bags

« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2010, 03:01:42 pm »
The Stewart rally did much bigger numbers than the Beck rally? Shocking. Maybe the fact that 90%+ residents of DC are Democrats, not to mention big Democrat majorities in adjacent Maryland counties and a a majority in adjacent Virginia counties had something to do with this. Hmmm.
I know more people from out of town who attended rally than residents of the metro area.  And I'm talking Miami, LA, Cleveland, New York, Houston, Colorado.

Bags

« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2010, 03:06:34 pm »
As for the politics of the rally, three days before a national election they did not only NOT urge anyone to vote any particular way, they never even encouraged anyone to vote at all.  A bit of a lost opportunity, as the recommendation to vote can be fully non-partison.  Sure many attendees have personal politics and therefore their own agenda for the rally or what they thought it was supposed to be, but what the actual sponsors of the rally intended was to cut the crap and start talking and doing.

Stewart's closing speech:

"I can't control what people think this was. I can only tell you my intentions. This was not a rally to ridicule people of faith. Or people of activism or to look down our noses at the heartland or passionate argument or to suggest that times are not difficult and that we have nothing to fear. They are and we do. But we live now in hard times, not end times. And we can have animus and not be enemies.

Unfortunately, one of our main tools in delineating the two broke. The country's 24-hour politico pundit panic conflict-onator did not cause our problems, but its existence makes solving them that much harder. The press can hold its magnifying glass up to our problems and illuminate problems heretofore unseen, or it can use its magnifying glass to light ants on fire, and then perhaps host a week of shows on the sudden, unexpected dangerous-flaming-ant epidemic. If we amplify everything, we hear nothing.

There are terrorists and racists and Stalinists and theocrats, but those are titles that must be earned. You must have the resume. Not being able to distinguish between real racists and tea partiers, or real bigots and Juan Williams and Rich Sanchez is an insult -- not only to those people, but to the racists themselves, who have put forth the exhausting effort it takes to hate. Just as the inability to distinguish between terrorists and Muslims makes us less safe, not more.

The press is our immune system. If it overreacts to everything we eventually get sicker. And perhaps eczema. Yet, with that being said, I feel good. Strangely, calmly good, because the image of Americans that is reflected back to us by our political and media process is false. It is us through a funhouse mirror, and not the good kind that makes you slim and taller -- but the kind where you have a giant forehead and an ass like a pumpkin and one eyeball.

So, why would we work together?  Why would you reach across the aisle to a pumpkin assed forehead eyeball monster?  If the picture of us were true, our inability to solve problems would actually be quite sane and reasonable.  Why would you work with Marxists actively subverting our Constitution or racists and homophobes who see no one?s humanity but their own?  We hear every damn day about how fragile our country is -- on the brink of catastrophe -- torn by polarizing hate and how it?s a shame that we can?t work together to get things done, but the truth is we do.  We work together to get things done every damn day. The only place we don't is here or on cable TV. Americans don't live here or on cable TV. Where we live our values and principles form the foundation that sustains us while we get things done, not the barriers that prevent us from getting things done.

Most Americans don't live their lives solely as Democrats or Republicans or conservatives or liberals. Most Americans live their lives that our just a little bit late for something they have to do. Often it?s something they do not want to do, but they do it. Impossible things get done every day that are only made possible by the little, reasonable compromises."

Stewart then plays a clip of cars merging before entering the Lincoln Tunnel in New Jersey

"These cars -- that?s a school teacher who thinks taxes are too high?there?s a mom with two kids who can?t think about anything else...another car, the lady?s in the NRA. She loves Oprah?An investment banker, gay, also likes Oprah?a Latino carpenter?a fundamentalist vacuum salesman?a Mormon Jay Z fan?But this is us. Everyone of the cars that you see is filled with individuals of strong belief and principles they hold dear -- often principles and beliefs in direct opposition to their fellow travelers.

And yet these millions of cars must somehow find a way to squeeze one by one into a mile-long, 30-foot wide tunnel carved underneath a mighty river?And they do it. Concession by concession. You go. Then I?ll go. You go, then I?ll go. You go, then I?ll go -- oh my god, is that an NRA sticker on your car, an Obama sticker on your car? Well, that?s OK. You go and then I?ll go?"Sure, at some point there will be a selfish jerk who zips up the shoulder and cuts in at the last minute. But that individual is rare and he is scorned, and he is not hired as an analyst.

Because we know instinctively as a people that if we are to get through the darkness and back into the light we have to work together and the truth is, there will always be darkness.  And sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel isn?t the promised land. Sometimes it?s just New Jersey.  But we do it anyway, together.

If you want to know why I?m here and what I want from you I can only assure you this: you have already given it to me.  You?re presence was what I wanted.  Sanity will always be and has always been in the eye of the beholder.  To see you here today and the kind of people that you are has restored mine.  Thank you."

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2010, 05:26:47 pm »
I had a friend fly in from Oregon to go to this so that's why I went. Otherwise, I would have stayed home in comfort and watched this piece of shit on TV (would have been the smart move) and watched football as well.

We arrived at 4th and Independence SW at 10 am and tried to make our way to the north side of the Mall to meet friends. Yeah, right. 4th was closed to ALL TRAFFIC, including pedestrians. And....why? It was IMPOSSIBLE to get anywhere. On the traditional pathway to move around the Mall, the gravel paths, people were camping on that shit. Just impossible to get anywhere. If you had a medical emergency on the Mall anywhere between 4th and 7th, you were shit out of luck. It was absolutely fucking ridiculous that they couldn't spend the extra money to put barriers around the pathways so people would be able to, you know, GET AROUND for both security and safety's sake. I found it incredibly ironic the Park Police were running signs on the jumbotron for dehydration and shit. Yeah, like it would have mattered. We honestly risked our lives for this shit.

While the Roots are a decent band, 40 minutes was TOO FUCKING MANY and John Legend blows goat testicles. People were out there all fucking morning and then they made you wait 40 more minutes for some fun-nay. Then the mythbusters guys came on. They blew. Forced laughter? C'mon. The comedic bits were the best part, but the whole schtick on the "train" angle was trying way too fucking hard. Ozzy? Are you fucking kidding? Jesus. Couldn't even let Cat Stevens play a whole song? It was insulting to see such a fucking blowhard like Ozzy on the same fucking stage as Stevens. Seeing the O'Jays was cool. I was EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED to see Kid Rock, quite possibly the worst musician in the history of rock, take the stage. Fuck you, Kid Rock. Die from self-immolation.

Living in SW never sucks and it especially didn't for the rally. Never got on a Metro train all day.

Someone mentioned noticing a lot of people from out of town attending. You know why? Because us Washingtonians have better shit to do than "rally" and put up with ALL THE BULLSHIT that rallying entails. I'm glad I went. It was amazing to see so many people and the hoods around the Mall packed to the max, most of the signs were funny, most of the people were pretty cool and the weather worked out. But at the end of the day, I would have rather just stayed home and not dealt with the shit.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2010, 05:39:27 pm »
At least in main part of the mall where the screens were there the exit pathways,  saw them when I walked through the night before
T.Rex

walkonby

« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2010, 05:44:27 pm »
"so . . . what did you learn, (insert name here), at the rally; freedom of speech, coming together to show unity, being apart of a spectacle/moment in time that was something rather than nothing that will be talked about for some time, taking in what was said by people on the stage or in the crowds, or anything like that??"

"no.  the traffic was a bitch.  the crowds were a bitch.  the bands were a bitch.  the sidewalk was a bitch.   the town at times is a bitch.  what i want not happening is a bitch.  the fact that a hundred other things were going on that day in dc was a bitch, and that damn asshole shooting buildings trying to be a copycat sniper who is sending messages by radar only by only hiting military themed things and then causing most of the police/security caring about the marathon . . . is a bitch."  the end, is a bitch too.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2010, 10:30:18 pm »
So the tea parties are wetting themselves over this video shot at the rally, because it makes a few attendees look "stupid" (note: it's less than two minutes long).   I can almost guarantee that if they asked the same question at tea party rally, they get much different responses and probably not many correct ones.  Full disclosure it took me a couple moments to figure out what the prank was...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_23Nt5XumaU

Is Obama A Keynesian? Rally For Sanity, 10/30/10
T.Rex

Mobius

« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2010, 12:56:14 am »
A bit of a lost opportunity

This is exactly how the folks I talked to described it. 

While this was primarily a comedy/music show, a lot of folks really want to join like minded people in a counterpoint to the Tea Party nonsense and presumed GOP resurgence (those who remember My Pet Goat, Yellowcake, post-Katrina, universally incompetant government, etc).   I guess since the Dems and Obama Administration have lost the Spirit of '08 this was the best outlet available.  We take it for granted in DC that people are politically savvy, but I think that is surprisingly rare in a lot of the country, so a rally like this gives a lot of people a chance to connect to something that they may not be able to at home.   How sad that a faux-rally was the only outlet.  It'd be nice if the Dems could get serious again and cut through the bullshit themselves and not depend on comedians, or worse unintentional comedians like Olberman, and maybe find some actual politicians to inspire again ( other than friggin Bill Clinton who is friggin poisonous)

yohansen5b

« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2010, 06:18:34 am »
A bit of a lost opportunity

This is exactly how the folks I talked to described it. 

While this was primarily a comedy/music show, a lot of folks really want to join like minded people in a counterpoint to the Tea Party nonsense and presumed GOP resurgence (those who remember My Pet Goat, Yellowcake, post-Katrina, universally incompetant government, etc).   I guess since the Dems and Obama Administration have lost the Spirit of '08 this was the best outlet available.  We take it for granted in DC that people are politically savvy, but I think that is surprisingly rare in a lot of the country, so a rally like this gives a lot of people a chance to connect to something that they may not be able to at home.   How sad that a faux-rally was the only outlet.  It'd be nice if the Dems could get serious again and cut through the bullshit themselves and not depend on comedians, or worse unintentional comedians like Olberman, and maybe find some actual politicians to inspire again ( other than friggin Bill Clinton who is friggin poisonous)

i didn't think politics was the point of the rally. a lot of attendees made it into their own political rally but stewart and colbert have been very consistent in being apolitical about the rally itself.  their message was encouraging civil and honest discourse, regardless of topic, political or otherwise.  i mean, they gave an award to a baseball player, the crazy jet blue guy, and a woman from the "real houswives of nj".  they exclusively mocked the media at length.  there was no making fun of political policies or politicians unless that person was completely out in left field (ie: godwinning themselves).  even then, the "politicians" they mocked were first and foremost a media personality (beck, specifically).

i think a lot of people are trying to find deeper meaning to this rally than there maybe is. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 07:01:33 am by yohansen5b »

James Ford

« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2010, 10:34:35 am »
Why all the hate for John Legend?

Sure, some of his material is kind of cheesy. But his album with the Roots is excellent, and theri performance together was by far the most entertaining part of the rally schedule....at least as viewed on my computer screen.

He's a much better singer than most any of the crap indie band "singers" championed on this board.

walkonby

« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2010, 10:44:06 am »
but he plays piano.  people that play piano are harrible.

billy joel
lady gaga
elton john
alicia keys
richard nixon

and pianos/organs are the worst part of jams bands
plus they ruined all hair metal bands and turned them into power ballad pussies

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2010, 11:13:54 am »
Why all the hate for John Legend?

Sure, some of his material is kind of cheesy. But his album with the Roots is excellent, and theri performance together was by far the most entertaining part of the rally schedule....at least as viewed on my computer screen.

He's a much better singer than most any of the crap indie band "singers" championed on this board.
Wake Up is terrific, yeah. I would have written him off too before I got that album, but he really nailed those songs. Live and on record.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2010, 11:18:47 am »
So the tea parties are wetting themselves over this video shot at the rally, because it makes a few attendees look "stupid" (note: it's less than two minutes long).   I can almost guarantee that if they asked the same question at tea party rally, they get much different responses and probably not many correct ones.  Full disclosure it took me a couple moments to figure out what the prank was...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_23Nt5XumaU

Is Obama A Keynesian? Rally For Sanity, 10/30/10

Republicans should be happy that people are confused by the question. It means that Keynesianism is being completely suppressed in American media and education.
😐 🎶

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2010, 11:21:04 am »
The problem with legend  is he did what seemed like a 15min political slow jam. I think there was some sort of message buried in his ego trip. This is not the sort of thing one does to get people pumped up.  Do a Marvin Gaye cover or something.
T.Rex

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2010, 11:36:22 am »
The problem with legend  is he did what seemed like a 15min political slow jam. I think there was some sort of message buried in his ego trip. This is not the sort of thing one does to get people pumped up.  Do a Marvin Gaye cover or something.
I don't know, that song (I Can't Write Left Handed) is easily my favorite on the album, so I was glad he/they played it.