Author Topic: opener for grinderman  (Read 4592 times)

Sir HC

Re: opener for grinderman
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 09:41:30 pm »
For me the guys with the running commentary about the No Pussy Blues that made me miss a possibly funny quip from Nick (people laughed, I didn't hear).

It got progressively louder as the night went on, was a great show, the band looked to be having a great time.

If you are referring to the quip right after "No Pussy Blues" that people laughed at, it was Nick saying that the song is actually not about not getting any pussy, it is about not having a pussy. 

Nick either really botched the words to "No Pussy Blues" at the 9:30 club show, he switched around the words "dandelions" and "pines" in that verse, and completely skipped the "drank a liter of cognac" verse.

I forget which song, but for one you could see on his face he f'ed it up.  But he smiled and got on with it.

RustyOrgan

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 01:55:54 am »
Awesome show! Anyone get the setlist?

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 06:36:54 pm »
Awesome show! Anyone get the setlist?

This is not in order, but:

The entire second record and the first record minus Electric Alice, Depth Charge Ethel, Go Tell the Women

Samantha

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 06:38:24 am »
I expected this show to be amazing, but for some reason I didn't prepare myself for it to be as absolutely amazingly awesome as it was.  I should have known better but it completely blew my mind.  The opener took about 5 minutes to grow on me, but then I ADORED her voice.  It drilled a hole into my head and I'll have to look her up.  I just wish she played with a band, something classy.  And I am DEFINITELY standing on Warren Ellis' side next time.  I think I may have a new crush on him.

Azaghal & I might have been exposed to more douchiness as we were fourth-rowish.  I was a bit surprised at how easily we got up front while getting in well after doors.  Which made it even more ridiculous that the BIGGEST NICK CAVE FANS EVARRR had to wait until Grinderman actually came on stage before they pushed their way through everyone to get up front.  A young lady (ahem) elbowed her way through at the beginning of Heathen Child and proceeded to dance on my toes, which I reamed her out for.  She asked me how many Nick Cave shows I'd been to and that "this is what concerts are like."  I said yes but you are being RUDE and you are HURTING me, so she justified herself by telling me "NICK CAVE IS PART OF MY LIFE!"  I was so taken aback I didn't make any sassy comebacks, I'm totally kicking myself for it now.  What a perfect opportunity.  It was really the first time I'd been in such a blatant pissing contest.  Also, someone from the balcony threw some sort of liquid down on the people around me.  I'm only vaguely annoyed by that because it didn't happen to me, in which case, hell hath no fury.

That said, this was nowhere near the worst show I've experienced in that respect.  But it was definitely compounded by having been at school all day which ended with an exam.  I haven't been to a show in ages and just wanted to enjoy myself, and honestly that show seemed much more douchy than the last Bad Seed shows.  I remember some very lovely people at those shows, so I guess it was disappointing.  Afterward I mumbled to myself "stupid kids on drugs, get off my lawn."  I need to get out more

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 08:50:49 pm »
douchy

(Grandpa Simpson voice):  Once upon a time, one of the benefits of liking certain genres of music was that entire musical styles were relatively light on douchebag fans, and you could go to a show and know you were likely to mainly run into like-minded people you easily clicked with.   Unfortunately that is no longer the case, I'd say largely thanks to the Internet making all forms of music much more accessible.   There's something to say for elitism... this is why I'm becoming a hermit.
_\|/_

James Ford

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 09:14:07 pm »
I thought you were going to say that douchey people are to be expected at a Nick Cave show.

douchy

(Grandpa Simpson voice):  Once upon a time, one of the benefits of liking certain genres of music was that entire musical styles were relatively light on douchebag fans, and you could go to a show and know you were likely to mainly run into like-minded people you easily clicked with.   Unfortunately that is no longer the case, I'd say largely thanks to the Internet making all forms of music much more accessible.   There's something to say for elitism... this is why I'm becoming a hermit.

hutch

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 11:10:24 pm »
didn't see any douches..

i got there about a minute before grinderman kicked off so i followed about 10 people down the left side bar past the taco stand and ended up about 3 back from the stage

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 11:17:37 pm »
I thought you were going to say that douchey people are to be expected at a Nick Cave show.

I think that's perhaps something you were going to say!  :D
_\|/_