Author Topic: SXSW Lineup  (Read 14062 times)

grotty

SXSW Lineup
« on: January 08, 2004, 09:35:00 am »
They've finally posted a very small sample of the preliminary lineup. You can get it here (bottom of the page):

http://www.sxsw.com/music/

Notable:
 â?¢ The Delgados Glasgow UK
 â?¢ The Hives Fagersta SWEDEN
 â?¢ Modest Mouse Issaquah WA
 â?¢ The Stills Montreal QC
 â?¢ The Thrills Dublin IRELAND
 â?¢ The Walkmen New York NY
 â?¢ Radio 4 New York NY

Anything else on that short list that gets anyone excited?

saco

Re: SXSW Lineup
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 11:10:00 am »
Thanks for the link, I'll be there for the 4th year in a row.

I try not to get too excited about specific acts too early because you always have to make tough choices on friday and saturday, you're always going to have to miss someone you wanted to see.

ggw

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 11:55:00 am »
I thought I read something about the Wrens being at SXSW.  Mission of Burma will be there.

grotty

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 12:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  I thought I read something about the Wrens being at SXSW.  Mission of Burma will be there.
Those would be 2 great adds. I don't love the new Wrens like most here, but I think that might change if I could see them live.

SXSW used to release the band list much earlier. Now they dump it literally just weeks before the event. It makes it very difficult to do a lot of pre-listening & research so that you can make those tough decisions that saco described.

I look forward to getting your recommendations once the full list is out.

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 12:15:00 pm »
Aren't we all sick of those poseurs the Thrills yet? I'd like to get together a group of REAL Americana artists to kick their scrawny major label asses all the way back to drunk leprachaun land.

grotty

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 12:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Aren't we all sick of those poseurs the Thrills yet? I'd like to get together a group of REAL Americana artists to kick their scrawny major label asses all the way back to drunk leprachaun land.
So...you think I should go see them?

redsock

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 01:17:00 pm »
Miision to Burma is confirmed.

grotty

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 01:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:

Miision to Burma is confirmed. [/b]
Do they have something new out? Is it a reunion with original members?

SPARX

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 01:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by grotty:
 [[/qb]
Miision to Burma is confirmed. [/qb][/QUOTE]Do they have something new out? Is it a reunion with original members? [/QB][/QUOTE]                                                                                             I just posted that info on a thread yesterday with a mission of burma heading.

grotty

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2004, 01:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by saco:

As it gets closer, we should plan to meet up for a beverage - I've got a mostly harmless crew going. If I recall correctly, you dig DBT, and we'll definitely be at their gigs.

If you like the stuff on New West Records (DBT, Slobberbone, Flatlanders, John Dee Graham) they have a nicely done label party, usually on Thursday afternoon. Last year the Truckers played an acoustic hour long set. Twas a treat. All you need to do is ask for a pass in advance. After I make the contact, I'll pass it on.

grotty

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2004, 01:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by SPARX:

I just posted that info on a thread yesterday with a mission of burma heading. [/b][/QUOTE]

Oh...you mean the one titled "Mission of Burma Sign With Matador"?    :o

SPARX

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2004, 01:38:00 pm »

Originally posted by SPARX:

I just posted that info on a thread yesterday with a mission of burma heading. [/b]
Oh...you mean the one titled "Mission of Burma Sign With Matador"?     :o  [/b][/QUOTE]                                                                                             Yep,that's the one.Everybody i've talked to who saw them recently say they are as good as ever!

redsock

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2004, 01:39:00 pm »

Originally posted by redsock:

Miision to Burma is confirmed. [/b]
Do they have something new out? Is it a reunion with original members? [/b]
Trying to find where I read it, but it is original members minus the tape operator. Since their shows last year were so succesful, they are working on a new album, and have a few shows lined up (SXSW, an Irving plaza gig, All Tommorrows Parties). i'll try to find where i read it.

EDIT:  Yeah, what the above says...

saco

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2004, 02:13:00 pm »

As it gets closer, we should plan to meet up for a beverage - I've got a mostly harmless crew going. If I recall correctly, you dig DBT, and we'll definitely be at their gigs.

If you like the stuff on New West Records (DBT, Slobberbone, Flatlanders, John Dee Graham) they have a nicely done label party, usually on Thursday afternoon. Last year the Truckers played an acoustic hour long set. Twas a treat. All you need to do is ask for a pass in advance. After I make the contact, I'll pass it on. [/b]
Drinks? Passes? Hell yeah! That would be great Grotty.   I always hit the Bloodshot afternoon party, but I think that is usually on Friday afternoon at Yard Dog.  Its almost to the point now that I look forward more to the afternoon parties more than the night showcases because they are outside in the sun and have cheap (or free) beer.

grotty

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2004, 02:32:00 pm »

[qb] Thanks for the link, I'll be there for the 4th year in a row.
  [/b]
Drinks? Passes? Hell yeah! That would be great Grotty.   I always hit the Bloodshot afternoon party, but I think that is usually on Friday afternoon at Yard Dog.  Its almost to the point now that I look forward more to the afternoon parties more than the night showcases because they are outside in the sun and have cheap (or free) beer. [/b]
The Bloodshot party is another one of my favs. Did you make it last year? We got there a little late - in the middle of Trailer Bride. Got to see
 the Waco Brothers set. Langford was SO fucked up...Going on & on railing against Bush.  I heard we missed quite a set from the Legendary Shack Shakers. If it was better than the one they did @ Antones the next night with the Black Keys, then we sure did miss something.