Author Topic: Royksopp  (Read 6863 times)

jacobar

Royksopp
« on: February 21, 2011, 12:07:46 pm »
I can see that this show did not sold out yet...strage, considered that this is a good band and that they are well known (at least in Europe)...any thoughts?

hutch

Re: Royksopp
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 12:22:00 pm »
I can see that this show did not sold out yet...strage, considered that this is a good band and that they are well known (at least in Europe)...any thoughts?

You do not know why?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 12:46:18 pm »
i know why the show isn't sold out: people haven't bought all the tickets!  thank you, i'll be here all week...

i saw them about 10 months ago in SF, a city where you'd think there would be more people into royksopp than here in DC, and the show didn't sell out until day-of. 

in my fantasy world, the 930 show doesn't sell out and those of us in attendance have a little more room to move & dance (hey seth...)
<sig>

jacobar

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 01:42:04 pm »
OK...i was just wondering...maybe live they're that not good? I like them a lot, but i never saw them live...and i thought it was strange that other gigs (that i thought were not as famous as they are) sold out...as one of you said, better, more room to have fun

azaghal1981

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 01:50:21 pm »
It probably will closer to the show. Not unusual for a European band that does not tour the States often to not draw crowds as big as the crowds they draw in Europe. The Massive attack shows in '06 didn't sell out until the week of. Same with Kraftwerk (if those even did sell out at all). And I don't think the K&D show came close to selling out.
احمد

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 02:01:57 pm »
Not enough hypster hype. Suspect they aren't all that dear to Pitchfork or Brooklyn Vegan.

I attended both the Massive Attack (2nd night) and Kraftwerk shows and I'm pretty sure that both sold out, though I haven't a clue at what point. Both were incredibly good shows too.

azaghal1981

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 02:10:52 pm »
Yeah 2nd night Massive Attack was excellent.

Missed Kraftwerk. I think it may have been out of my price range at the time. That one hurt.
احمد

blipvurt

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 03:30:59 pm »
Pretty sure Kraftwerk (night two) sold out the night of the show. I went to both nights and the club was seriously packed for both. What amazing shows those were!

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 04:58:11 pm »
If it makes you feel better, they sold out both the MHOW & Webster Hall dates in NYC.
And they are great live!
HeyLa

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 01:50:30 am »
Not enough hypster hype. Suspect they aren't all that dear to Pitchfork or Brooklyn Vegan.

incorrect.

everything they've done after melody am hasn't really compared IMO, they caught lightning in a bottle for one album
(o|o)

sven

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 01:35:27 pm »

incorrect.

everything they've done after melody am hasn't really compared IMO, they caught lightning in a bottle for one album

i have to disagree with you. they've stated numerous times that they don't like to repeat themselves and always try to produce something different. this is the main reason why they haven't produced another melody a.m, they've been there, done that.

i'm not trying to say melody a.m isn't a great album, it's probably their best to date but that doesn't mean they're just that. the understanding -which i think is one of the most underrated albums ever-  junior & senior are all amazing and all different at the same time. it takes guts to produce an album like the understanding after melody a.m and they did that.  i love röyksopp because they always manage to come up with something different & good and surprise me.

imo what jaguar said is true. they don't really have that type of support and i think they don't even care about that, they seem to be happy where they're at now.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 02:19:44 pm by sven »

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 01:51:37 pm »
I'm just confused about Hoya's response to my post solely because, to me, it's an apples and oranges debate. (I'll take the oranges because I like them so much bettter.  :D )

My comment was only about the band maybe not getting enough hype here from the major players. (Don't really know only because I never read either unless I follow a link in.)

Then Hoya comes along and disagrees about their older music compared to their later releases. Huh? How did that fit in other than maybe as a totally independent and possibly valid argument on its own right. Not really agreeing or disagreeing with that but I totally fail to see how it relates to the hype debate unless there was some sort of commentary maybe on the lack of hype by these sites. I'm lost.

walkonby

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 01:52:38 pm »

incorrect.

i have to disagree with you. they've stated numerous times that they don't like to repeat themselves and always try to produce something different. this is the main reason why they haven't produced another melody a.m, they've been there, done that.

i'm not trying to say melody a.m isn't a great album, it's probably their best to date but that doesn't mean they're just that. the understanding -which i think is one of the most underrated albums ever-, junior & senior are all amazing and all different at the same time. it takes guts to produce an album like the understanding after melody a.m and they did that.  i love röyksopp because they always manage to come up with something different & good and surprise me.

imo what jaguar said is true. they don't really have that type of support and i think they don't even care about that, they seem to be happy where they're at now.

go sven with the nice, written well (except for the comma after the dash) first post.

i like them.  they are good.  but i only first listened to this band because of karin on what else is there.  but they hold up.

jacobar

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 01:58:59 pm »
Well i love their music and i'm glad to hear that they're good live...believe it or not i like "Senior" a lot...I'm sure it's going to be a great show, would have been a monster if they had the knife or fever ray with them

walkonby

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 02:03:26 pm »
Well i love their music and i'm glad to hear that they're good live...believe it or not i like "Senior" a lot...I'm sure it's going to be a great show, would have been a monster if they had the knife or fever ray with them

can you imagine a club show tour that was royksopp opening, then fever ray, headlined by the knife?  omg, i wet myself.