Author Topic: weedeater review  (Read 2723 times)

blipvurt

weedeater review
« on: February 24, 2011, 12:16:14 pm »
I know some folks were interested in this one. Anyone else go?

Here's my review and pics:
http://www.welovedc.com/2011/02/24/we-love-music-weedeater-sonar-22311/

Vas Deferens

Re: weedeater review
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 12:52:12 pm »
i was there...such a great band and performance....dug all of the songs they played but esp. "give me back my bullets" and "weed monkey".......damnnnnnnnnnn it was so fucking heavy
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 01:33:03 pm »
<sig>

blipvurt

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 02:40:57 pm »
I've had "Give Me Back My Bullets" stuck in my head since the show. That live version was so bad ass!

azaghal1981

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 02:54:01 pm »
Southern Lord site has a new song up. The DC9 show last spring killed.
احمد

ggw

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 03:43:04 pm »
The DC9 show last spring killed.

No pun intended....

azaghal1981

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 04:04:24 pm »
Total Freudian slip. I promise.
احمد

snailhook

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 10:47:05 pm »
Saw them last night in Philly. They're one of the few bands that always lifts my spirits. "Gimme back My Bullets" always kicks major ass. Some of the best times of my life have been getting wasted with those dudes at the Velvet Lounge.

I also saw ASG for the first time. They had their moments, but overall, I thought they were kinda pedestrian.

Unsanity

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 04:35:17 am »
Good read. Weedeater was certainly on fire at that show. I missed them at DC9 but have seen them a few other times and this occasion might just have been the best. I got to talk to Dixie Dave and asked about Bongzilla. He said he hasn't talked to those guys in a long time but by the end of the year hopes to get something going again. Cool. Was anyone else at that Bongzilla / Monster Magnet gig at Recher Theatre way back when?

ASG played a little harder this time than they usually do, singer even threw his voice out. They kinda had some sort of Sword thing happening for this show. They really do write some amazing songs though.

blipvurt

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 10:51:39 am »
I was impressed with ASG's set. I don't know their stuff at all, but I liked their sound at this show. I liked the passion of the singer and the sort of early 90's alt-metal thickness of the guitars.

Unsanity - If this was heavier than usual - what are their shows normally like? I might not dig it so much without the fire this one had.

Unsanity

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 04:19:37 pm »
I saw them many years ago and they were punky with a little 90's post-hardcore too. That comment about 90's alt-metal rings true too. Their newest releases have gotten heavier and more southern feeling. They have always been good and always been underrated to the extent of being unknown. Like I said they played hard and went for broke for this gig. I imagine its hard to sonically keep up with Weedeater! Lets hope ASG can keep the fire burning!

snailhook

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 05:57:00 pm »
I also noticed the change in ASG's sound.  I was asked to book them at the Warehouse Next Door maybe four or five years back, and what I heard was pretty much skate-punk metal.  Nothing bad, but nothing that particularly appealed to me.  They ended up skipping DC that tour and I never got a chance to see them until now.  It seems as if the Southern sludge has rubbed off on them.  They did put on a good live show, though I thought only a couple of the songs were truly memorable. 

Unsanity

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 04:08:13 am »
I seem to remember they were going to be part of some massive Warehouse next door show that somehow got split up? The Sword, Torche, Tarantula A.D. and ASG maybe? In April 2006?

I bet those memorable songs are "Right Death Before" (the opening song) "Gallop Song" and "Horsewhipper" those are really great tunes. They played 2 or 3 really new songs that I was not familiar with.   

snailhook

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 04:53:50 am »
Great memory, Unsanity!  I looked back in my files and it was indeed April 2006, and I was somehow trying to combine three separate tours into one: Donna Summer, Torche/Sword, Tarantula A.D./ASG.  For a hot second, it was going to be all five, then the Torche/Sword package went to the Black Cat, which pissed me off because they had confirmed and then bailed on me (probably due to the Sword blowing up and the Black Cat all of a sudden thinking they'd be worth booking).  The Black Cat didn't touch stuff like Torche and Boris in those days.  Then I got Food For Animals to play, and the bill became Food For Animals/Donna Summer/Tarantula A.D./ASG.  The show was on 4/5/06.  I remember seeing FFA, DS and TAD but do not recall seeing ASG.  They might have canceled, or I may have gotten to the Warehouse late that night because I was working evening hours at the City Paper in those days.

And I agree with you, the song they opened up with was one of the more interesting somgs in the set.  It caught my attention and I was in the zone for three or four songs after, but then my attention drifted away. 

blipvurt

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 04:58:31 pm »
Yeah, that opening stretch of ASG's set was by far the most interesting run of tunes.