Author Topic: 2011 DMV Awards (fighting)  (Read 13571 times)

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
Re: 2011 DMV Awards (fighting)
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 12:37:41 pm »
what do people think is the reason for this kind of behavior at these kind of events or, if that is an unfair generalization, why do people have this impression?

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 12:48:12 pm »
what do people think is the reason for this kind of behavior at these kind of events or, if that is an unfair generalization, why do people have this impression?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagger_Lee_Shelton

Brian

wml7

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 12:48:26 pm »

Lets hold the event at the club next year  ;D

imbecile

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 01:00:24 pm »

I heard it all started because the Hyatt was charging 9 dollars for pub cans of Guinness this close to St. Patricks Day.

slappy

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 01:08:38 pm »
No shit. The people who bitch and whine the most about DC are usually the vanilla wafers living out in Fairfax.
Wow! Was the last time you were out in Fairfax 25 years ago?  My next door neighbors are from Ghana. The other side are from Korea, next to them Guatemala. The most 'vanilla wafer' in my hood are the lesbian couple with Nascar stickers on their pickup truck and jeep.

We never lose power, never have to boil our water, wait for our streets to be plowed, or have to enroll our kids in private schools to get a decent education.

Is 'bitch and whine' one of those ironic hipster phrases for laughing at other people?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 02:52:02 pm »

I heard it all started because the Hyatt was charging 9 dollars for pub cans of Guinness this close to St. Patricks Day.

POTW
(o|o)

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 08:43:06 pm »
Gotta love the sarcasm and derailment of some of this thread. But this post right here sums up what I'm getting at:

Such a shame, the area has bred some truly amazing artists in the hip hop scene and this just disappoints the shit out of me. A bunch of egomaniac's showing disrespect is just disgusting. And of course the stereotyping comes pouring in droves and it's just a shame that this had to happen.

One thing about hip hop shows in this area is that they can be far and few between in comparison to other genres of music that get booked fairly often; in particularly rock music depending upon the venue. Venues might be fearful of the turnouts and reaction from the audiences they attract. But its not always the case. Even folks who did not have anything to do with the awards show will receive this perception of having shows where violence will be the end result. All because they are involved with the hip hop/rap genre. And trust me, more than enough people want to prevent things like this that happen that are within the hip hop community. I say this with no disrespect but......it may not mean much to some of you who go to indie rock shows and etc. who have no love for hip hop music. In particular, local hip hop music around here. But what DeathAbove1979 stated is the ultimate problem, it reinforces the stereotype that overshadows what other artists have worked hard to defeat.

Anyways, I only posted this as a form of awareness. Enjoyed the jokes and puns.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 11:40:41 pm »
Wow! Was the last time you were out in Fairfax 25 years ago?  My next door neighbors are from Ghana. The other side are from Korea, next to them Guatemala. The most 'vanilla wafer' in my hood are the lesbian couple with Nascar stickers on their pickup truck and jeep.

We never lose power, never have to boil our water, wait for our streets to be plowed, or have to enroll our kids in private schools to get a decent education.

Is 'bitch and whine' one of those ironic hipster phrases for laughing at other people?

Yeah, but you still live in Fairfax. Which is enough for -4.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 11:42:39 pm »
But what DeathAbove1979 stated is the ultimate problem, it reinforces the stereotype that overshadows what other artists have worked hard to defeat.

The problem isn't the artists. It's the fans.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 12:37:42 am »
a f*cking shame.  it's sad when one group of people work hard to elevate something, especially art IMO, only to have the bad apples ruin it all with next to no effort.  i'm sure there are a lot of people asking themselves "why bother".

Gotta love the sarcasm and derailment of some of this thread.

don't take it personally, it's what people here do.  you could post a story about starving orphans with cancer of the eyeballs who are oppressed by heavy-handed police and made to work in mines... and someone would still make a wisecrack.

if anything, take the tangents as proof that this thread is taken as seriously as any other, no more and not less... which is as much as can be expected.  a few people answered seriously, others made jokes.  at least no one told you to shut up or take it elsewhere :)

and admit it - if i started a discussion about alcoholism amongst polka players, or the infighting within the honky-tonk scene, you'd give it a read but not take it quite as seriously as someone immersed in those scenes. 
<sig>

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 09:14:18 am »
But what DeathAbove1979 stated is the ultimate problem, it reinforces the stereotype that overshadows what other artists have worked hard to defeat.

Nah, its both. Hip hop has an ego-driven work ethic embedded in its ways. Its kind of taken over how some people act. On top of that, fans feel like their opinions are worth more than what they are. You can look a lot of hip hop message boards and see these kids trash a lot of artists because they feel they can and most of them can hide their faces when doing so. Too much ego, not enough people being humble.

a f*cking shame.  it's sad when one group of people work hard to elevate something, especially art IMO, only to have the bad apples ruin it all with next to no effort.  i'm sure there are a lot of people asking themselves "why bother".

Gotta love the sarcasm and derailment of some of this thread.

don't take it personally, it's what people here do.  you could post a story about starving orphans with cancer of the eyeballs who are oppressed by heavy-handed police and made to work in mines... and someone would still make a wisecrack.

if anything, take the tangents as proof that this thread is taken as seriously as any other, no more and not less... which is as much as can be expected.  a few people answered seriously, others made jokes.  at least no one told you to shut up or take it elsewhere :)

and admit it - if i started a discussion about alcoholism amongst polka players, or the infighting within the honky-tonk scene, you'd give it a read but not take it quite as seriously as someone immersed in those scenes. 

Actually, I didn't take it personally at all. Its a shame because it was actually what expected for the most part.  I made one slight joke about hipsters in tight jeans fighting one time at a rock show and everyone decided to jump on my case. So no one saying to take it elsewhere and etc., thats whats up. LOL. And nah, I wouldn't even say that shit about the honky-tonk scene.If I saw it, I'd read it more than likely and probably wouldn't post if there was nothing for me to say. You're right, I'm not involved in the honky-tonk scene (DC has one?) but that doesn't stop from reading about things that I may find interesting that I'm not a part of.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 10:51:21 am »

Nah, its both. Hip hop has an ego-driven work ethic embedded in its ways. Its kind of taken over how some people act. On top of that, fans feel like their opinions are worth more than what they are. You can look a lot of hip hop message boards and see these kids trash a lot of artists because they feel they can and most of them can hide their faces when doing so. Too much ego, not enough people being humble.

And this is what I hate. De La Soul would rap about talking to monkeys and fish, and now it's all about fuck everyone and look at how important I am. That's why Odd Future is refreshing to me because these are just... essentially kids rapping about stupid shit and clearly having fun with it, and no matter how disgusting some of the lyrics are, Tyler has so many moments of just...pouring his soul onto these songs. From his frustration for getting no love from blogs, to rapping about how much he hates his father, it's all right there and he's not shy about it. Biggie did it, Wayne did, and it seems hard to see any other people doing much. And it's not just about that 1 song on an album, it's about an entire library, not just about making number 1 hits with production by Timbaland or The Neptunes, of which I both love. I just think there's very little hear in hip hop these days and it's hard as shit to find it.
‼‼?‼‼

J.Kasozi

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 10:52:08 am »

Well, I do agree on the fact that there is a problem within Rap (Not hip-hop, the culture itself is not at fault) when it comes to those who create the art and those who judge it. I also understand your point on people talking bad about artist via the internet and feel safe due to anonymity, but that's the option you as an artist open yourself up to when you put your art on display for critics to critique, Because lets be honest.... What is the deference between a "Fan" and a "Hater" ???

The answer is truly, nothing. because when you get down to the basics of it, Both individuals are Critiquing an artist work. be it, for the good or for the bad. So I do not think that trash talking should be an issue, I have YET to find 1 artist that EVERYONE loves, it's natural to have haters and fans. Fan's opinion's are alot more valuable then the artist in which they are being opinionated about. and to prove this, take this into account.....

Today's "Rap Game", is centered around alot of negative lyric's, instrumentals that are high-paced and energetic, and a entire aura of "fast life". Back in the late 80's and early 90's it was "Conscious Rap" which was selling, record labels were booking and signing "Conscious Emcee's" but now it isn't about "Consciousness" no more, and the fan's are the dictators of that. If fan's stop today, and NEVER purchased another Lil Wayne Album I can put my bottom dollar on the line that 1 of 2 things may happen.
1). He just stop's rapping
2). He switches his style up, and start rapping the way the fan's want him to.

So on your view of fan opinions, they are very powerful with their words and their likes/dislikes. Fan's can either make or break you.

Now as far as the ego aspect, that's a tough one. All aspect's of human life, Especially within American Society is based on some dealings with one's Ego rather it be a Direct correlation or an Indirect one. When dealing with music (not just Rap) people display their ego's, some are more honest and genuine but for the most part (when rap is concerned) artist tend to boost their ego by painting their own histories, stories, plights, etc. in a brighter light then it should be in, or was in. If No rapper had Ego, then I doubt they would be interesting to listen to, and this not only goes for rappers but any musician as well.

This DMV 2011 Fight incident was an unfortunate one. because it paints DC-MD-VA in a negative light, and the crazy thing is that no one cared for a 2011 DMV awards until a fight broke out. Now alot of major publications are picking up on it and running with it, which says alot about how news publications make their name within the reporting/publication business. Negativity sells, and this is CLEARLY evident with the story of this event, and it is subtly shown (but also clearly evident) within main-stream rap music.

Fan's need to change to enforce a change on record producers, rappers and labels.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 12:15:41 pm »
You're right, I'm not involved in the honky-tonk scene (DC has one?) but that doesn't stop from reading about things that I may find interesting that I'm not a part of.

right, and this thread has had 540+ views... so people are reading and are learning, just not commentin' :)
<sig>

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 04:02:38 pm »
You're right, I'm not involved in the honky-tonk scene (DC has one?) but that doesn't stop from reading about things that I may find interesting that I'm not a part of.

right, and this thread has had 540+ views... so people are reading and are learning, just not commentin' :)

granted, half of these are GGW refreshing furiously to see if anyone responded to his DIS
(o|o)