Author Topic: JANE's Tour Cncld - 930 Club: Bring Them Here!  (Read 5564 times)

rich_WDC

JANE's Tour Cncld - 930 Club: Bring Them Here!
« on: December 18, 2003, 01:21:00 pm »
Jane's Addiction / Marilyn Manson tour is scrapped.   Low sales?  Other issues?   Who cares? The point is the show is not coming.  Sure MM has been in area twice this year, but Jane's needs to do a tour for STRAYS LP, non Lollapalooza.  And a JA/MM bill is a cool show, at least I think so.

Can JANE'S come do their show at the Club??  Since they usually won't play more than 70 mins, perhaps they can be thrown into one of those 2 or 3 show days!

mankie

Re: JANE's Tour Cncld - 930 Club: Bring Them Here!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 01:28:00 pm »
So you want Seth to  try and book a band that has just cancelled a tour because nobody is buying tickets...hmmmmm, stick to whatever it is you do and leave Seth to owning concert venues.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 01:30:00 pm »
C'mon guys!  We could put on a show right here!

Mobius

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 01:50:00 pm »
Well, I don't think there's a question that a Jane's Addiction show at Patriot Center is overambitious, but a Jane's Addiction show at the 9:30 Club would be an event.

Saw them on Lollapalooza this year and enjoyed it, but thought a lot was misguided.  Perry Farrell's was Vegas/Hollywood-esque on an almost David Lee Roth level . . . more schmaltz than shamen.  Playing such a big venue there was a definite sense of inflated band worth (do young folks even listen to Jane's Addiction? Does anyone? Are they relevant to anyone anymore?), BUT there is still magic when Navarro, Perkins, and Perry get together.  They'd blow the roof off 9:30 for old times sake . . . if they wanted to.

Sir HC

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 01:58:00 pm »
They did play the old club.  It was intense and a pure rock experience none of those dancers and crap.

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2003, 02:09:00 pm »
funny this topic just came up

I was listening to "Strays" this morning for the first real time, and its DAMN good. Really. I mean, sure, PF thinks hes the next Prince, and I didnt see them on Lollapalooza, but i did see them at HFS and i dont think, if they stick to rock...they have lost anything.

the album is very good, and could rival Ritual, had it been put out in 1991 (meaning, perhaps thier sound is lost today with bands like Linkin Park and Korn) Jane's Addiction would positively sell out the 930 Club...Manson did and quickly.  

People dont like the Pat Center and MM and JA's fans, arent really the same people are they?

I would piss if Jane's came to 930...and i might pay $30-$40 for it!!! haha.

Dandy01

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2003, 02:21:00 pm »
I don't like everything on the album but I'd definitely rather see them at 9:30 than those other less personal venues.  I really enjoyed their show at Lollapalooza, but it could've been because it was my first time seeing them.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2003, 02:34:00 pm »
This cancelled most likely due to poor ticket pre-sales. It's the holidays. Lots of expensive concerts with big bills also going on. Then you put two big acts like Janes and Manson on the same bill, you know the expense to do this show had to be up there.  They probably needed at least half the tickets to be pre-sold just to cover costs!

I think Janes at the club wouldn't be any different then the rest of the big name "arena band" shows they've had come through...

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

Sir HC

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2003, 02:34:00 pm »
When they did their first climb to fame in the course of a little over a year I saw them:

old 9:30 club
 College Park Ritchie Colliseum (1800 seater)
 Lollapalooza

The shows were inversely great to the venue size.

The 9:30 was a show with no pretenses.  It was for Nothing Shocking, and they just rocked.  Shocking how short they are.  Some smoke machines was the limit to the effects, and the whole club was a mosh pit.

Ritchie they were just getting big and whacky, but the energy was amazing.  It was almost a riot through the whole show (no security for the stage by the band's request, just make sure they don't trash the amps or stay up too long).  Continuous flow of stage divers and a pit beyond the beyond.  First time I saw divers off the PA.

Lollapalooza sucked.  They had dancers, and all this extra b.s. going on and the music was lost.  The show was so big and in that huge field in Reston at the end of a long hot day, that no one was really into it.  Was ready to just leave by then.

So for me, a smaller venue with few arty showings would be a great time, the big production does nothing for me.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2003, 02:37:00 pm »
I saw Janes about 2 years ago at Nissan w/ Live. Damn was Live just awful. Who forgot to hand out the revolvers at the door for their ultra depressing set? Ed kept bringing up all the 9/11 stuff and how people in this area got hit hard by it and it's great how we all could come out and bond about it blah blah blah. Uhhh shut up Ed, we came to rock out to Janes not to hear you keep bringing the 9/11 stuff up with your depressing set.

Janes did rock out, even with the dancers and the short acoustic set with the moon shining bright behind them! Wish I had my uh point and click camera that night at the show!  ;)

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

sonickteam2

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2003, 02:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:

Lollapalooza sucked.  They had dancers, and all this extra b.s. going on and the music was lost.  The show was so big and in that huge field in Reston at the end of a long hot day, that no one was really into it.  Was ready to just leave by then.
I saw them at Lollapalooza too and i thought it was incredible.  It was my first time seeing them and my first big show and i was 14.  but the crowd was totally into them, and the show wasnt so big or hot. and i was probably smoking "ganja" haha.

flawd101

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2003, 08:15:00 pm »
that show whould sell out pretty fast....

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2003, 08:28:00 pm »
I'm pretty bummed about the show being cancelled.   :)

Jaguär

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2003, 12:02:00 am »
Perry Farrell's little ninny voice has always gotten on my fucking nerves.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2003, 05:32:00 am »
I don't know too much about Jane's music, but she makes a damn fine book about world fighter aircraft recognition.  Hat's off Jane!  What a fine lass.