Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1456519 times)

azaghal1981

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #1110 on: March 25, 2013, 02:52:52 pm »
5/6/13 @ State Theatre
Cracker, Camper Van Beethoven

I would go to that if I could weasel my way into it for free just so I could tell Lowery I did.
احمد

killsaly

« Reply #1111 on: March 25, 2013, 03:10:46 pm »
Yeah. I have no clue as to whether or not that tour is a one off. And that album is really good.

Cool.  I still am planning on going.

hutch

« Reply #1112 on: March 25, 2013, 04:16:40 pm »
5/6/13 @ State Theatre

I would go to that if I could weasel my way into it for free just so I could tell Lowery I did.

why?

azaghal1981

« Reply #1113 on: March 25, 2013, 04:27:59 pm »
He could have made the same points he made here without being the massive patronizing asshole he sounds like.
احمد

atomicfront

« Reply #1114 on: March 25, 2013, 04:37:35 pm »
5/6/13 @ State Theatre

I don't know what you mean but isn't Cracker and Camper Van Beethoven the same band?  I used to think how could an awesome band like CVB turn into such a shitty band like Cracker.  But now you can experience both.  I hope Cracker is the opener.

azaghal1981

« Reply #1115 on: March 25, 2013, 04:43:57 pm »
Yeah, he hasn't done anything worthwhile in about 25 years.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #1116 on: March 25, 2013, 04:54:24 pm »
He could have made the same points he made here without being the massive patronizing asshole he sounds like.

oh I see....you're a riot az....such an anarchist......

i think lowery is right on the money and didn't see much wrong with the tone... problem is you probably don't like the answer so you look for ways to shoot the messenger...

there is something wrong with this "music should be free" model..but its awfully inconvenient to think about it, no?

i havent listened much to camper or cracker in decades.. but cracker in richmond at the floodzone about 1992 was pretty good..they were just starting out...

i have heard they put on great shows (camper and cracker).

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #1117 on: March 25, 2013, 05:26:26 pm »

That was a good read...I'm curious to know where you find fault with it.

azaghal1981

« Reply #1118 on: March 25, 2013, 05:29:44 pm »
I picked up on a "you are younger than me so you are an idiot" tone. I found the stuff about Linkus and Chesnutt especially stomach-turning and ridiculous. He turned deaths of supposed friends into talking points. I have definitely read other pieces on this topic that make a similar point that didn't leave me with the disdain I have for Lowery now. This one, for instance. This Dave Allen Lowery takedown was nothing short of masterful.
احمد

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #1119 on: March 25, 2013, 05:37:49 pm »
I picked up on a "you are younger than me so you are an idiot" tone. I found the stuff about Linkus and Chesnutt especially stomach-turning and ridiculous. He turned deaths of supposed friends into talking points. I have definitely read other pieces on this topic that make a similar point that didn't leave me with the disdain I have for Lowery now. This one, for instance. This Dave Allen Lowery takedown was nothing short of masterful.

I thought the Linkous and Chesnutt stuff was  relevant, at the very least.  If a person is talking about an issue what's wrong with relating how it has affected them personally? I has a passing familiarity with Mark in the early 90's when I lived in rva, and know many people who were close to him up until his death, so maybe that's why I'm more open to it...I most definitely picked up the "you are an idiot tone", not a "you are younger....." tone.  I do in fact think that girl is an idiot, so I've no problem with the tone.  I thought the whole rant was pretty spot on. 

atomicfront

« Reply #1120 on: March 25, 2013, 05:45:55 pm »

he wasn't patronizing at all.  He didn't say she should be carted off to jail for stealing music.  He made good points.  It was a long response. 

I myself listen to music for free first and if I like it then I buy the album.  I mean artists have a right to earn a living. 

azaghal1981

« Reply #1121 on: March 25, 2013, 06:06:04 pm »

I thought the Linkous and Chesnutt stuff was  relevant, at the very least.  If a person is talking about an issue what's wrong with relating how it has affected them personally? I has a passing familiarity with Mark in the early 90's when I lived in rva, and know many people who were close to him up until his death, so maybe that's why I'm more open to it...I most definitely picked up the "you are an idiot tone", not a "you are younger....." tone.  I do in fact think that girl is an idiot, so I've no problem with the tone.  I thought the whole rant was pretty spot on. 
She couldn't be further from it. She outlined the way she and the rest of her peers acquire their music. The fact of the matter is whether Lowery or anyone else likes it or not, the music acquisition process has changed forever. Nothing about pointing that out makes her an idiot. I don't at all agree with her idea of a fix (Spotify, etc.), though. The Bandcamp scheme is a much fairer platform for artists; some of whom have already started to take advantage of it. See here and here. That is all besides the point that Lowery is a dick, though.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #1122 on: March 25, 2013, 06:18:24 pm »

She couldn't be further from it. She outlined the way she and the rest of her peers acquire their music. The fact of the matter is whether Lowery or anyone else likes it or not, the music acquisition process has changed forever. Nothing about pointing that out makes her an idiot. I don't at all agree with her idea of a fix (Spotify, etc.), though. The Bandcamp scheme is a much fairer platform for artists; some of whom have already started to take advantage of it. See here and here. That is all besides the point that Lowery is a dick, though.

"music acquisition process"??? is that what the "hipsters"  call theft?   barf.

atomicfront

« Reply #1123 on: March 25, 2013, 06:25:47 pm »

She is a thief and an idiot.  What makes her an idiot is that she admitted that she was a thief to the whole world. And she doesn't even express remorse.  Total idiot.  I don't know how you can support a total thief like her and then get all over Amanda Palmer for not paying her fans to play with her.

I am guessing you don't buy music either.  That is your choice but god I can't imagine anything more hypocritical than your views expressed on here before. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #1124 on: March 25, 2013, 06:40:09 pm »
she's no more a thief or idiot than the rest of gen y, who largely don't buy music.  and she's not an idiot for admitting it, she's admirable because she's telling the truth.  i don't own music, and i see a lot of shows. if it came down to buying music, i'd find a new hobby.