Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1456514 times)

hutch

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #1125 on: March 25, 2013, 07:03:31 pm »

We all know musicians we admire, I'm sure, who have a real tough time making ends meet while people take their music for free. I think its sad. But hey everybody's doing it so I guess that makes it alright!

azaghal1981

« Reply #1126 on: March 25, 2013, 07:07:06 pm »
I picked up on a "you are younger than me so you are an idiot" tone. I found the stuff about Linkus and Chesnutt especially stomach-turning and ridiculous. He turned deaths of supposed friends into talking points. I have definitely read other pieces on this topic that make a similar point that didn't leave me with the disdain I have for Lowery now. This one, for instance. This Dave Allen Lowery takedown was nothing short of masterful.

I thought the Linkous and Chesnutt stuff was  relevant, at the very least.  If a person is talking about an issue what's wrong with relating how it has affected them personally? I has a passing familiarity with Mark in the early 90's when I lived in rva, and know many people who were close to him up until his death, so maybe that's why I'm more open to it...I most definitely picked up the "you are an idiot tone", not a "you are younger....." tone.  I do in fact think that girl is an idiot, so I've no problem with the tone.  I thought the whole rant was pretty spot on. 
She couldn't be further from it. She outlined the way she and the rest of her peers acquire their music. The fact of the matter is whether Lowery or anyone else likes it or not, the music acquisition process has changed forever. Nothing about pointing that out makes her an idiot. I don't at all agree with her idea of a fix (Spotify, etc.), though. The Bandcamp scheme is a much fairer platform for artists; some of whom have already started to take advantage of it. See here and here. That is all besides the point that Lowery is a dick, though.

She is a thief and an idiot.  What makes her an idiot is that she admitted that she was a thief to the whole world. And she doesn't even express remorse.  Total idiot.  I don't know how you can support a total thief like her and then get all over Amanda Palmer for not paying her fans to play with her.

I am guessing you don't buy music either.  That is your choice but god I can't imagine anything more hypocritical than your views expressed on here before. 

I buy plenty of music and see plenty of shows/have plenty of friends who are musicians/run labels. As much as you would not like to believe it, this has little to do with me. It has everything to do with Lowery being an aging bully of a dinosaur who feels threatened by the times changing. And what she did could hardly be considered thievery. I'm sure she's not the first radio DJ to rip albums. If that is considered thievery, everyone who's ever worked at a radio station since the advent of the cassette is also a thief.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:10:15 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #1127 on: March 25, 2013, 07:22:27 pm »
she's no more a thief or idiot than the rest of gen y, who largely don't buy music.  and she's not an idiot for admitting it, she's admirable because she's telling the truth.  i don't own music, and i see a lot of shows. if it came down to buying music, i'd find a new hobby.

She's an idiot for saying the reason she doesn't buy from itunes or whatever is because it's "inconvenient"..it couldn't be easier and it's a shit ton easier than ripping cd's on your laptop. 

atomicfront

« Reply #1128 on: March 25, 2013, 07:24:08 pm »
She said that someone loaded a whole hard drive of music for her.  She is a thief.  Plain and simple. I am sure it is common and I wouldn't say anything about her except she is bragging about it.  Of course all artists who aren't making tons of cash like lady gaga are concerned about it.  But if you say something you get fan backlash.  Amanda Palmer actually did something creative to make money to put out her album and she gets backlash from people like you. 

She is only an intern so no one expects her to buy a ton of albums.  Oh wait when I was in college I bought a ton of albums.  Come on why would anyone defense someone like that. 

I think it is great that we can hear all the albums these days before we buy but you should feel obligated to buy the product of the artists that you listen to and enjoy their shows.  Anything else is being a leech off of society. 

People say the artists make money off touring but how true is that?  A lot of artists I like play the ottobar and charge 12 to 15 bucks.  400 people attend at most and the venue gets a lot of that.  How can you live like that.  And even bands that sell their songs for commericals get criticized. 

How are the exactly supposed to make a living? 

stevewizzle

« Reply #1129 on: March 25, 2013, 10:09:17 pm »
oh, fuck it, i'll rip all of this apart.

She is only an intern so no one expects her to buy a ton of albums.  Oh wait when I was in college I bought a ton of albums.  Come on why would anyone defense someone like that. 

when you were in college you were paying 2% interest rates on your college loans and tuition was way cheaper.  for someone who preaches about how "old-timer" everyone comes off in this board, you're certainly showing your age on this point.

I think it is great that we can hear all the albums these days before we buy but you should feel obligated to buy the product of the artists that you listen to and enjoy their shows.  Anything else is being a leech off of society.

i don't own this music. i don't want to own a physical object. i don't want a record, or a cd, or a hard drive of music.  i see maybe 40 shows a year, and if didn't have easy access to music, i'd probably see closer to zero. 

quick math, average show cost = $15. average shows seen per year = 40.  i'm putting 40*15 back into society from my income, $600. and a subscription to spotify, another $120 per year. and then all the beer, food, transportation, and word of mouth to other friends. leech of society? get the fuck out of here.

People say the artists make money off touring but how true is that?  A lot of artists I like play the ottobar and charge 12 to 15 bucks.  400 people attend at most and the venue gets a lot of that.  How can you live like that.  And even bands that sell their songs for commericals get criticized. 

simple math here.  what's better, 10,000 fans who pay $10 annually to a band (say, ticket price for a show), or 10,000 fans who pay $1 annually for the one track they enjoy?  it makes more sense to get your music out there, and make money by the masses. 

and fuck that, they are touring, seeing the country and possibly the world.  do you hear any of these artists complain about how difficult their job is? doing what they love, and seeing the world?  it must be so fucking hard to live like that.

stevewizzle

« Reply #1130 on: March 25, 2013, 10:13:20 pm »
she's no more a thief or idiot than the rest of gen y, who largely don't buy music.  and she's not an idiot for admitting it, she's admirable because she's telling the truth.  i don't own music, and i see a lot of shows. if it came down to buying music, i'd find a new hobby.
She's an idiot for saying the reason she doesn't buy from itunes or whatever is because it's "inconvenient"..it couldn't be easier and it's a shit ton easier than ripping cd's on your laptop. 

itunes is fairly easy, you're right.  but the set price was never something that a college student or a teen could come to terms with. i made max $10k from 16-25 per year, and had about $5k in my own expenses with car insurance, gas, being social, etc.  charging $1 a song is pretty steep when you're living on those terms.

azaghal1981

« Reply #1131 on: March 26, 2013, 01:09:46 am »
Anybody who says they would turn down a hard drive of free music at 17 is lying. Plus all of what Steve said.
احمد

atomicfront

« Reply #1132 on: March 26, 2013, 01:13:33 am »

when you were in college you were paying 2% interest rates on your college loans and tuition was way cheaper.  for someone who preaches about how "old-timer" everyone comes off in this board, you're certainly showing your age on this point.

i don't own this music. i don't want to own a physical object. i don't want a record, or a cd, or a hard drive of music.  i see maybe 40 shows a year, and if didn't have easy access to music, i'd probably see closer to zero. 

quick math, average show cost = $15. average shows seen per year = 40.  i'm putting 40*15 back into society from my income, $600. and a subscription to spotify, another $120 per year. and then all the beer, food, transportation, and word of mouth to other friends. leech of society? get the fuck out of here.

simple math here.  what's better, 10,000 fans who pay $10 annually to a band (say, ticket price for a show), or 10,000 fans who pay $1 annually for the one track they enjoy?  it makes more sense to get your music out there, and make money by the masses. 

and fuck that, they are touring, seeing the country and possibly the world.  do you hear any of these artists complain about how difficult their job is? doing what they love, and seeing the world?  it must be so fucking hard to live like that.

I didn't get any student loans I worked 35 hours to pay for my tuition and i took 18 credits a semester.  So take that bullshit about me having it easier.  If you have student loans you don't pay interest when you are in college so you should have plenty of money.  And interest is a whole lot lower these days than when i was going to college.

Bands do complain about not having health insurance all the time and not being able to make ends meet.  bands give up all the time.  Lower Dens complained about how they got attacked for letting their music be used in a commercial when it allowed them to pay everyone in the band.  Rasputina works in factory and loses members because she can't pay them.  

wow you spend 720 dollars on music a year!!! You deserve a medal.  Spotify pays next to nothing to bands.  That is comical that you even think bands are making money off you.  You wouldn't go to any shows if you had to pay for music?   We went to shows all the time when I was in college and we had to pay for the music.  

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1133 on: March 26, 2013, 02:46:05 am »
Anything else is being a leech off of society. 

LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1134 on: March 26, 2013, 02:48:04 am »

None of what you said excuse the fact that she took something she did not pay for that was not hers to take.  IOW she is still a thief.  It astounds me that people actually try to use the "I only stole it cause I couldn't afford it' debate.  If that is acceptable then I ought to have three jags, and a coupe of private jets at no cost.  Hey wait, maybe Bammy will send them to me for free...
FUKIT

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1135 on: March 26, 2013, 07:32:55 am »
Who among us has never bought a promo, used record/cd, gotten a free sampler CD (physical/download_ , bought a sampler for a low price, etc

The point is being missed, as long as Amanda Palmer gets her's nothing else matters.

Since I haven't listen to any new music in the last 20 years, I'm obligated to post this....

http://www.thevinyldistrict.com/storefront/2013/03/an-open-letter-to-amanda-palmer-a-fellow-musicians-response-to-the-ted-video/
T.Rex

atomicfront

« Reply #1136 on: March 26, 2013, 08:31:49 am »
Who among us has never bought a promo, used record/cd, gotten a free sampler CD (physical/download_ , bought a sampler for a low price, etc

The point is being missed, as long as Amanda Palmer gets her's nothing else matters.

Since I haven't listen to any new music in the last 20 years, I'm obligated to post this....

http://www.thevinyldistrict.com/storefront/2013/03/an-open-letter-to-amanda-palmer-a-fellow-musicians-response-to-the-ted-video/

you are trolling.  And buying a used album is not against the law.  A sampler is a marketing technique.  The point is not that we all have gotten music we haven't paid for...this woman was bragging about never paying for any music which she got through illegal means. 

As for Amanda Palmer she paid her fans to play on stage with her so I guess you are quite out of the times.  I think what will happen is next tour she won't have her fans come on stage to play with her.  Yeah lets attack the person who is actually making money even with deadbeats like the original girl who steels all her music. 

azaghal1981

« Reply #1137 on: March 26, 2013, 08:56:20 am »
Your girl Amanda Palmer wrote this long piece defending this girl who you have been trying to vilify in which she tried to equate the two situations. Just figured this needed to be thrown out here, too.
She obviously does not deserve to be called the horrible things she was called online but that pretty much is where the comparisons stop.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:15:59 am by azaghal1981 »
احمد

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1138 on: March 26, 2013, 09:43:09 am »
Did I say any of those activities were illegal? No... The point being made is that artists don't benefit on secondary sales..
T.Rex

azaghal1981

« Reply #1139 on: March 26, 2013, 09:58:50 am »
^We're both troll-feeding.
احمد