Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1455950 times)

atomicfront

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #1365 on: April 24, 2013, 01:37:59 pm »
there's just a degree of self-promotion and self-importance to Ian MacKaye and the Dischord scene that just grates on me... so they are digitalizing every Fugazi show for download.... ypee , yes its really important to have that archive.. who is going to listen to them? oh but its history man its the history of DC music

yeah, exactly..its history and its been history for a long time now... what is next????

we could have had this same back and forth 15 years ago..nothing has changed....i'm not blaming ian mackaye and his cohorts entirely but at best one would have to say their scene has had no lasting impact on new DC bands..that to me makes their importance suspect.....

I don't think anyone cares about Dischord anymore.  DC needs a label like Friends Records.  And venues that cater to local music and people that go to local shows.  Ottobar has unknown local bands as openers all the time.     Something the 930 club and Black Cat could do as well.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1366 on: April 25, 2013, 11:19:01 pm »
Black Sabbath
8/2
Lubeville

Opening act: Andrew W.K.
Tickets: $46.00 - $149.50.

GA pit.  it's a friday - anyone hoping to make it to this show should plan on taking a half-day off work so they can make it on time.

$149 and at The Lube?  Pass..  Maybe they'll place Verizon Center in the fall/winter.

yup, that's pretty much my assessment.  i'd pay $150 to see them at a better venue, or for under $50 at the Lube... but no way they're getting me on both counts.  *le sigh*.

i'd say the chances of them coming back in the fall are close to zero.  these guys are old and i doubt they'll be hitting all the markets they want to this time round.  if there is a second leg i'm sure they'll want to hit those other cities.  doubtful there are enough folks here willing to pay $150 twice to see them.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #1367 on: April 26, 2013, 09:04:47 am »
the problem for me isnt the price or location but that bill ward is not touring with them..

azaghal1981

« Reply #1368 on: April 26, 2013, 09:26:21 am »
My problems are all three of those.
They royally screwed Bill.

Back to the Dischord topic, their cliquiness/insularity/connections to venues was/still kind of is a reality. I was just talking to a friend last weekend who was in bands unassociated with them at their peak who said it was always hard getting gigs on bills that contained Dischord bands. I was not around at the time but it sounds to me like they alienated a lot of bands that were not in their circle. As hutch noted earlier, it is also why the Ft. Reno shows still revolve around the fragments of that scene that still remain.
احمد

atomicfront

« Reply #1369 on: April 26, 2013, 09:59:42 am »
Did anyone mention the Bluegrass festival at Union Craft Brewery tomorrow?  I just heard about this morning and it turns out it sold out!!!.  Come on guys you can do better.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1370 on: April 26, 2013, 04:29:41 pm »
Mad Decent Block Party
August 2
MPP
Ticket and line up info next week
Pre-sale up now, $20.

so what kind of acts play this?  pure craptastic cheese?  anything decent?
EDIT: found last year's lineup, http://www.maddecent.com/blog/mad-decent-block-party-2012-presented-by-puma/

presale sold out.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 04:33:01 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

killsaly

« Reply #1371 on: April 26, 2013, 07:42:00 pm »
Damn last year had quite a few good acts.  Major Lazer, Bonde do Role, Action Bronson, Tanlines, Spaceghostpurrp, Flosstradamus, Mr Muthafucking Exquire, and Casey Veggies would all be on my list of acts I would have wanted to check out.

killsaly

« Reply #1372 on: April 26, 2013, 11:42:23 pm »
Sasha Lord is announcing shows at her new spot at Black Whisky at 14th and Rhode Island. http://twitter.com/sashaohmylord

Most notable so far is Deathfix and Paint Branch on 5/4 which is also the inaugural gig if you do not count the Quintron movie thing.
Damn 5/4 is stacked. 

azaghal1981

« Reply #1373 on: April 26, 2013, 11:55:47 pm »
Yeah bunch of stuff going on. I am thinking I will do Black Whiskey because it is a new space and Paint Branch probably have a full band by now. Would love to hear those songs fleshed out.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1374 on: April 30, 2013, 09:50:50 am »
a true hero, to me . . . finally!!!!!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/news/20130429/jason-collins-gay-nba-player/

well that was quick

http://www.tmz.com/2013/04/29/jason-collins-mike-wallace-twitter-tweet-homophobic/

As much as I hate the Steelers (and I love football enough to understand he is no longer in PIT), Wallace is right. First off, a phobia is defined as someone whom has UNREALISTIC fear(s) about a particular thing. Wallace, showing no unrealistic fear in his tweet should never be labeled as a homophobe. Second, it is completely understandable that Wallace does not understand Collins' position. He is not a homosexual and most likely will never be. I am of the same mindset and can safely say that I will never understand the idea of being sexually attracted to another man. That does not mean that we have some fundamental disagreement with such an idea.

Third, even the disagreement of such a mindset does not make one a hater of homosexuals. One can question the lifestyle from a standpoint of right or wrong without deliberately questioning the reality of such. There are many whom are born with tendencies that have been deemed undesirable by the public. For example, there may be a man/woman whom is attracted to people of far too young of an age or someone whom is attracted to animals. Would that sit in accordance with the general public? The answer is no. They would most likely be incarcerated for sexual actions on either party.

This is not saying that we should do the same with homosexuals. I honestly believe in the true attraction between two of the same sex. But to say that Mike Wallace is a hater of homosexuals is yet another example of an unfair categorization of an individual for what may be his own personal beliefs.

Just as we should stop persecuting those whom believe in the attraction between those of the same sex, we must also be fair to those whom have have the slightest disagreement of the notion.

i hope you believe what you wrote, because to me it sounds like a very weak justification for hate.

something you need ta take into consideration is the history of relationships with a group.  gays have been killed because of people "disagreeing with their lifestyle" (RE: gay-bashing).  they have been victims of hate crimes.  unfortunately many of the perpetrators of hate crimes, now that they can't openly hate, will hide behind disingenuous arguments like the one you make above.  wallace (and you) have the right to say that you don't like gays.  everyone else has the right to shout you down and vehemently oppose your outright biased rejection.  we're turning society around from a very ugly attitude.

FYI, comparing homosexuals (legal) to pedophiles and zoophiles (illegal) shows how little you understand the issue and how wrapped up in your own discomfort you are.  it's pure ignorance.
<sig>

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #1375 on: April 30, 2013, 10:11:05 am »
a true hero, to me . . . finally!!!!!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/news/20130429/jason-collins-gay-nba-player/

well that was quick

http://www.tmz.com/2013/04/29/jason-collins-mike-wallace-twitter-tweet-homophobic/

As much as I hate the Steelers (and I love football enough to understand he is no longer in PIT), Wallace is right. First off, a phobia is defined as someone whom has UNREALISTIC fear(s) about a particular thing. Wallace, showing no unrealistic fear in his tweet should never be labeled as a homophobe. Second, it is completely understandable that Wallace does not understand Collins' position. He is not a homosexual and most likely will never be. I am of the same mindset and can safely say that I will never understand the idea of being sexually attracted to another man. That does not mean that we have some fundamental disagreement with such an idea.

Third, even the disagreement of such a mindset does not make one a hater of homosexuals. One can question the lifestyle from a standpoint of right or wrong without deliberately questioning the reality of such. There are many whom are born with tendencies that have been deemed undesirable by the public. For example, there may be a man/woman whom is attracted to people of far too young of an age or someone whom is attracted to animals. Would that sit in accordance with the general public? The answer is no. They would most likely be incarcerated for sexual actions on either party.

This is not saying that we should do the same with homosexuals. I honestly believe in the true attraction between two of the same sex. But to say that Mike Wallace is a hater of homosexuals is yet another example of an unfair categorization of an individual for what may be his own personal beliefs.

Just as we should stop persecuting those whom believe in the attraction between those of the same sex, we must also be fair to those whom have have the slightest disagreement of the notion.

TOLERANCE FOR THE INTOLERANT NOW!
😐 🎶

hutch

« Reply #1376 on: April 30, 2013, 10:26:34 am »
First of all the general public is in favor of gay marriage but more importantly who cares? The constitution is supposed to protect the rights of the minority.... If we simply go by what the "general public" thinks we wouldn't be much of a republic and there would be a tendency towards mob rule. The "general public" may be in favor of something today that it was against yesterday.....

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1377 on: April 30, 2013, 10:28:22 am »
Damn last year had quite a few good acts.  Major Lazer, Bonde do Role, Action Bronson, Tanlines, Spaceghostpurrp, Flosstradamus, Mr Muthafucking Exquire, and Casey Veggies would all be on my list of acts I would have wanted to check out.
I went up to Philly last year, it was better thant he year before, more organized. Am hoping it's the same every stop, like a tour. Would be a bummer if it varied like they did last year. Also thinking Merriweather is fucking HUGE compared to that Penn's Landning that held the Philly one last year. It couldn't have been more than 1500 people there and they were packed in.
‼‼?‼‼

shemptiness

« Reply #1378 on: April 30, 2013, 02:49:49 pm »
$101 for center pavilion within the first 5 rows is not bad

Really?  After 30 minutes the best I could do was Row X.

Yada

« Reply #1379 on: April 30, 2013, 02:57:40 pm »
34 year old washed up NBA player comes out of the closet as he becomes a free agent.

Talk about marketing genius! The guy can't lose!