Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1455398 times)

atomicfront

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #1455 on: May 08, 2013, 02:08:18 pm »
the BMA is a municipal gallery.  their scope is the city, they're supposed to highlight local artists.

the hischorn is a national gallery.  their mission isn't to promote DC area artists.  their scope is global.

so, apples and oranges.

You mean national not global.  If they are a national museum.  Anyway we can go to each others museums.  I am sure most of you have been to the Baltimore Aquarium and if you haven't been to Visionary Art Museum and the BMA you should have.  I have been to most of the DC museums.  I don't think are quality of life suffers from being an hour and half from the National Gallery of Art instead of a half hour.  There are only so many times you need to go to the same museum. 

BookerT

« Reply #1456 on: May 09, 2013, 08:19:49 am »
Th 8/15 Surprise! At the Club! Thievery Corporation

It's funny how Thievery is billed as "Surprise! At the Club!"

Surprise! The band who has played more shows than any other band - by a big margin - in club history is playing at the club!

James Ford

« Reply #1457 on: May 09, 2013, 08:26:44 am »
I was wondering when they're going to start playing the State Theater.

Th 8/15 Surprise! At the Club! Thievery Corporation

It's funny how Thievery is billed as "Surprise! At the Club!"

Surprise! The band who has played more shows than any other band - by a big margin - in club history is playing at the club!

hutch

« Reply #1458 on: May 09, 2013, 09:18:43 am »
when was the last show billed as "surprise at the club"? was it jane's addiction?

thievery definitely doesn't cut it as a "surprise at the club" show...

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1459 on: May 09, 2013, 09:32:43 am »
surprise......thievery corp till suck
(_|_)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #1460 on: May 09, 2013, 10:00:51 am »
They should change their name to...
😐 🎶

stevewizzle

« Reply #1461 on: May 09, 2013, 11:30:03 am »
well fallout boy is a surprise artist.

what happened with love's last show? i remember hearing about the debacle, but remember zero specifics.

hutch

« Reply #1462 on: May 09, 2013, 11:34:36 am »

fallout boy..another "artist" not deserving of the title of "surprise artist" but good point

hole's last show was reviewed by the washington post and that is where you can find out about the "debacle" which set tongues wagging

stevewizzle

« Reply #1463 on: May 09, 2013, 11:43:31 am »
930 wiki does it some justice

In June 2010, Courtney Love and the newly reformed Hole performed a disastrous set described by the Washington Post as a three hour epic train wreck. A barely coherent Love stumbled, complained and stripped through an entire set composed mostly of incomplete versions of the band's songs. Most members of the audience left before the set ended.

one of the wapo articles: http://blog.washingtonpost.com/clicktrack/2010/06/in_concert_hole_at_930_club.html

stevewizzle

« Reply #1464 on: May 09, 2013, 11:44:58 am »

fallout boy..another "artist" not deserving of the title of "surprise artist" but good point

i thought so as well, but it did sell out very quick.  that's about as good indication as any that it is indeed a pleasant surprise at the club.

and, y'kno, they are playing patriot center now, too.

hutch

« Reply #1465 on: May 09, 2013, 11:45:23 am »
930 wiki does it some justice

In June 2010, Courtney Love and the newly reformed Hole performed a disastrous set described by the Washington Post as a three hour epic train wreck. A barely coherent Love stumbled, complained and stripped through an entire set composed mostly of incomplete versions of the band's songs. Most members of the audience left before the set ended.

one of the wapo articles: http://blog.washingtonpost.com/clicktrack/2010/06/in_concert_hole_at_930_club.html

I made such a big mitake not going to that Hole show... I wonder what my reason was...maybe the underwhelming last album sealed it for me.... but I would have loved it...LOVED IT

I was the biggest Hole fan in the world circa 1994-1995....there I said it.

hutch

« Reply #1466 on: May 09, 2013, 11:48:48 am »

i thought so as well, but it did sell out very quick.  that's about as good indication as any that it is indeed a pleasant surprise at the club.

I hear that but no... I don't think so... the "surprise at the club" designation is not about how quickly an act sells out... tons of acts sell out in no time.. its more about 'hey i can't believe james brown is coming to the 930' or some such... legends like willie nelson...at least it used to be or was supposed to be

frankly, they are watering down the brand... very distressing

killsaly

« Reply #1467 on: May 09, 2013, 11:52:58 am »
Oh wow, I've been waiting my whole life to see Cattle Decapitation play. I know they're no Courtney Love, but who is.

People there is a commentary thread, for things like discussing how bad Courtney Love is.  it is extremely easy to locate, as it is usually on the first page of General Discussion. 

August 2 - Fillmore
Dillinger Escape Plan, Animals As Leaders, Periphery, Norma Jean, Cattle Decapitation, the Ocean, Revocation, Aeon, Rings of Saturn, and Thy Art Is Murder
whatever.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1468 on: May 09, 2013, 12:08:11 pm »
‼‼?‼‼

K8teebug

« Reply #1469 on: May 09, 2013, 12:42:47 pm »

I hear that but no... I don't think so... the "surprise at the club" designation is not about how quickly an act sells out... tons of acts sell out in no time.. its more about 'hey i can't believe james brown is coming to the 930' or some such... legends like willie nelson...at least it used to be or was supposed to be

frankly, they are watering down the brand... very distressing

James Brown at the club in 1999 was one of the best ever!

Maybe we'll get a surprise JT show again?