Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1455287 times)

wml7

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #1800 on: June 19, 2013, 10:57:18 am »
This is irrelevant to the current discussion but I saw Allen Stone at Bonnaroo and remembered a post Kosmo recently made not liking him.

In a weekend where I saw an epic Paul McCartney set and a Super Jam with Jim James, John Oates, R Kelly, Billy Idol, Britney Howard, Larry Graham, Carl Broemel and more, Allen Stone might have threw down the set of the weekend.

Anyway, he's worth catching if ever in town.

Back to the movies.

My friend saw him at Bonnaroo as well said he was awesome.  I was catching someone else.  Did you do VIP?  I think next year we'll do VIP for sure.

atomicfront

« Reply #1801 on: June 19, 2013, 11:44:08 am »
Deer Tick
SEP 18    Baltimore, MD - Ottobar

I will be going to this show as the wife plays them in her car constantly.  Ottobar seems to be getting much better bands lately.  I wonder if they have a new person booking the acts. Or maybe it is just better bands come this time of year.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1802 on: June 19, 2013, 11:53:46 am »
knowing where this will go....

The Hangover was quite possibly one of the most boring films I've ever seen, not even remotely funny.... However, I did find Harold & Kumar funny, but went into it with low expectations.  Guess I didn't quite lower my expectations enough for the Hangover.

Aside from Bridesmaids, "In The Loop" is one of the funniest things I've seen in recent memory.  Then again I'm partial to Armando Iannucci's brand of absurdest humour, seen in Alan Partridge, and In The Thick Of It.  While not quite as successful as those, Veep is still pretty funny stuff.
I was EXCITED to see The Hangover, it LOOKED hilarious, and it wasn't one of those things where "they showed all the funny parts in the commercial", it just felt forced to me and it wasn't organically funny. The cool guy, a weirdo, and a fucking nerd. I went opening day so that I wouldn't have everyone get my hopes up by saying it was amazing and blah blah, I thought it was hot, hot garbage. The FUNNIEST part and the ONLY time I laughed out loud was when they show the old lady blowing him in the elevator. WHICH WAS DURING THE CREDITS.

Harold & Kumar is amazing, the sequels suck on ice. The Hangover was an awful piece of shit that got 2 sequels that probably also sucked. Hangover is the most overrated comedy of the new millenium. It doesn't hold a fuggin candle to Wedding Crashers, Pineapple Express, Anchorman or any of the shitty parody movies like Scary Movie or some shit. It's crap. You're crap if you like it, own it on DVD, or paid to see a sequel. America.
‼‼?‼‼

James Ford

« Reply #1803 on: June 19, 2013, 12:02:06 pm »
September 18 hardly seems like "this time of year".

I think more acts tour in the Fall and Spring. Hence the bookers have more to choose from for shows then.

Deer Tick
SEP 18    Baltimore, MD - Ottobar

I will be going to this show as the wife plays them in her car constantly.  Ottobar seems to be getting much better bands lately.  I wonder if they have a new person booking the acts. Or maybe it is just better bands come this time of year.

James Ford

« Reply #1804 on: June 19, 2013, 12:03:54 pm »
Funny. Hangover is the only movie of those you listed than I actually liked.

The Hangover was quite possibly one of the most boring films I've ever seen, not even remotely funny.... However, I did find Harold & Kumar funny, but went into it with low expectations.  Guess I didn't quite lower my expectations enough for the Hangover.

Aside from Bridesmaids, "In The Loop" is one of the funniest things I've seen in recent memory.  Then again I'm partial to Armando Iannucci's brand of absurdest humour, seen in Alan Partridge, and In The Thick Of It.  While not quite as successful as those, Veep is still pretty funny stuff.
I was EXCITED to see The Hangover, it LOOKED hilarious, and it wasn't one of those things where "they showed all the funny parts in the commercial", it just felt forced to me and it wasn't organically funny. The cool guy, a weirdo, and a fucking nerd. I went opening day so that I wouldn't have everyone get my hopes up by saying it was amazing and blah blah, I thought it was hot, hot garbage. The FUNNIEST part and the ONLY time I laughed out loud was when they show the old lady blowing him in the elevator. WHICH WAS DURING THE CREDITS.

Harold & Kumar is amazing, the sequels suck on ice. The Hangover was an awful piece of shit that got 2 sequels that probably also sucked. Hangover is the most overrated comedy of the new millenium. It doesn't hold a fuggin candle to Wedding Crashers, Pineapple Express, Anchorman or any of the shitty parody movies like Scary Movie or some shit. It's crap. You're crap if you like it, own it on DVD, or paid to see a sequel. America.

killsaly

« Reply #1805 on: June 19, 2013, 12:08:44 pm »
Great article on the new Locrian, and if you were on the fence about going, maybe this quote will change your mind:
http://citypaper.com/music/extreme-evolution-1.1506962
Locrian is focusing on a rare tour, and an even rarer performance in Baltimore, at the Metro Gallery. When asked about the show, Hannum is, perhaps predictably, already looking forward. ?We?re gonna play maybe four songs off the new record,? he says. ?Most of the set will be new material. It?s never the same twice. We improvise a lot. . . hopefully that makes it interesting. It makes it interesting for me?I don?t know what it?s going to be like!?

atomicfront

« Reply #1806 on: June 19, 2013, 12:13:22 pm »

Pineapple Express isn't very funny. Danny Mcbride had a few funny lines but overall pretty bad.  James Franco isn't very funny I guess is the main problem.  The plot isn't very good either.  I would probably give it 3 out of 10.  Anchorman is hilarious. 10 out 10.  I would say Wedding Crashers is probably a  or 7 out of 10.  A couple of he Scary Movies are funny others are awful.  None of them I would watch a second time. 

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1807 on: June 19, 2013, 02:09:14 pm »
The plot of Hangover - dudes got drunk and have to figure out where their friend is
The plot of Pineapple Express - dudes get high and have to figure out who's trying to kill them

The plot of a comedy movie never really makes the movie, it's the COMEDY that makes a COMEDY movie. The drama makes a drama, the suspense make suspense. BUT, you are entitled to your shitty opinion and I am entitled to my opinion. At least you think Anchorman is funny.
‼‼?‼‼

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1808 on: June 19, 2013, 04:21:20 pm »

Pineapple Express isn't very funny. Danny Mcbride had a few funny lines but overall pretty bad.  James Franco isn't very funny I guess is the main problem.  The plot isn't very good either.  I would probably give it 3 out of 10.  Anchorman is hilarious. 10 out 10.  I would say Wedding Crashers is probably a  or 7 out of 10.  A couple of he Scary Movies are funny others are awful.  None of them I would watch a second time. 

thank you.  pinecrapple depress, was just that.

Stillwater

« Reply #1809 on: June 19, 2013, 05:24:45 pm »
This is irrelevant to the current discussion but I saw Allen Stone at Bonnaroo and remembered a post Kosmo recently made not liking him.

In a weekend where I saw an epic Paul McCartney set and a Super Jam with Jim James, John Oates, R Kelly, Billy Idol, Britney Howard, Larry Graham, Carl Broemel and more, Allen Stone might have threw down the set of the weekend.

Anyway, he's worth catching if ever in town.

Back to the movies.

My friend saw him at Bonnaroo as well said he was awesome.  I was catching someone else.  Did you do VIP?  I think next year we'll do VIP for sure.

Nope, no VIP for me.  I go with a large group every year so that would be tough.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #1810 on: June 19, 2013, 09:26:46 pm »
Dear acts I would like to see,

Please don't play DC/Baltimore Su-Th the first half of September. It's bad enough that I work those nights but I can occasionally take a night off. But the first half of Sept is my busiest time of year and taking a night off is pretty dicey for me. I already have to miss Pere Ubu, X, and Survival. Please, play somewhere else or play Friday or Saturday.

Thank you,

beetsnotbeats
😐 🎶

killsaly

« Reply #1811 on: June 20, 2013, 05:02:45 pm »
I think I saw White Laces once. They were pretty good if they are the band I am thinking of.

I believe we talked about that... I think it is the same one, if the band you saw sounded like http://whitelaces.bandcamp.com/album/interzone
Also it lists Barren Girls on that bill on their website, but not on the Black Cat website.  I will probably be at this if i decide to not see Dax Rigs the day before.

azaghal1981

« Reply #1812 on: June 20, 2013, 08:22:46 pm »
so Tricky postponed the entire tour citing visa issues... Steve Mason of the Beta Band also had visa issues but apparently his visa has now come through

assuming people are really having issues getting visas it begs the question of why is the US government making it so hard for musicians to get visas to perform?.. these are people with commitments outside the US with long track records of coming to the US, not breaking the laws, leaving once they are done..

kind of sad..reminds me of when Ibrahim Ferrer could not get a visa to attend the Grammys because he was a potential Cuban terrorist or something.... he died shortly after I think..

Add The Pastels to this list. They were set to play Chickfactor fest and had to bail due to the same problem. Also, Damo Suzuki was in Canada recently and cited political reasons (more specifically the Visa acquisition process) for his not playing the States in a while. Basically said it was not worth the hassle which is a damn shame. He still puts on an excellent show.

Maybe our government just hates art.
احمد

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1813 on: June 20, 2013, 08:48:33 pm »
or people that dont have their act together in time (in reference to tricky only).  the horror.  this article claims as such.  double horror.

http://blogs.philadelphiaweekly.com/style/2013/06/10/tricky-couldnt-get-his-visa-game-straight-so-tomorrow-nights-show-has-been-rescheduled/

hutch

« Reply #1814 on: June 20, 2013, 09:06:23 pm »
or people that dont have their act together in time (in reference to tricky only).  the horror.  this article claims as such.  double horror.

http://blogs.philadelphiaweekly.com/style/2013/06/10/tricky-couldnt-get-his-visa-game-straight-so-tomorrow-nights-show-has-been-rescheduled/

Thanks for posting this.. I am genuinely interested.. have been on a big Tricky kick lately... and I'm interested in this "getting Visa" process

what is weird is the article says he couldn't get his Visa act together or straight as its headline but there is nothing in the article to substantiate that claim.. seems like some people just assume that if a musician doesn't get the Visa in time then they messed up but I don't think that assumption makes sense..

I remember one time being at the Kennedy Center for a performance on the millenium stage and out comes the person from the Kennedy Center to say its not happening cause this pretty well known tango musician in his 60s from Argentina, Dino Saluzzi- who wanted to play a free show - hadn't been able to get his Visa... there are so many cases of this sort of stuff that I just think the US goverment is majorly fucking up.... on the one hand they have countries where the people don't even need to get visas to come to the US (Chile just added to the list) and on the other hand you have established musicians who can't get them to come over and play music..guys with clear itineraries showing they will be leaving to continue playing overseas- why should it take so long to get them anyways?

It really bugs me actually.

As far as Tricky I think a late night show at the 930 on a Sunday night was way cooler than an early show at U Street Hall so I'm a bit bummed...

The other thing about Tricky: its not as if he has n't gotten the Visa before.. he played the 930 a a few years ago..what the fuck do they so need to check up on? He's been approved a multitude of times... maybe the problem is he's no longer on a US based record label.. maybe the issue is small labels and small foreign labels can't pull the right strings