Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1456442 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #2160 on: October 09, 2013, 01:53:28 pm »
That was the cruisiest, most gay/bi concert I've seen in a long time. Crazy amounts of sexual tension, and nobody seemed to mind. Glad to know I wasn't imagining that.
Sweetcell and I were too busy failing at a rousing game of "Spot the Ethnic Minority" to notice, honestly. But in retrospect, that's kind of to be expected at a B&S show...
LVMH

stevewizzle

« Reply #2161 on: October 09, 2013, 01:56:09 pm »
What the article failed to address was the Ian McKaye connection to the origin, but maybe some things are better left a mystery...

ooh, now i'm curious!!!

ian mckaye was all butthurt about people using phones at shows.  big surprise.

somewhere lost in the enormous eye roll reaction on this forum, twitter, music blogs, etc, azag suggested that ian's reaction makes him want to start taking pictures at shows.  the article picks up the rest.

James Ford

« Reply #2162 on: October 09, 2013, 03:58:48 pm »
Like his parents, I'm just wondering when he's going to settle down, move out of the house, and start a family.

What the article failed to address was the Ian McKaye connection to the origin, but maybe some things are better left a mystery...

ooh, now i'm curious!!!

ian mckaye was all butthurt about people using phones at shows.  big surprise.

somewhere lost in the enormous eye roll reaction on this forum, twitter, music blogs, etc, azag suggested that ian's reaction makes him want to start taking pictures at shows.  the article picks up the rest.

killsaly

« Reply #2163 on: October 10, 2013, 12:57:46 pm »
cat power
sixth and I
11/13

Ahh  :( Same night as Thurston Moore in Baltimore.
That shouldnt even be a conflict! Go to Chelsea Light Moving at the Ottobar! Its probably cliche at this point to point out that Cat Power isnt great live (at least from my experience seeing her at a fest), but maybe she would have an "on" night.  As for the venue, for some reason I do not like it, and that caused me to skip the Polyphonic Spree (one of the top five all time favorite bands) this year.

Thurston, on the other hand, was amazing every time I saw him (with Sonic Youth, as Caught on Tape with John from CLM, and those two with Merzbow).  The Ottobar is a great venue for shows like this.  Not too big, not too small, good sound system (but not the best), and usually a good crowd. 

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #2164 on: October 10, 2013, 01:47:37 pm »
I'll be the dissenting voice and say that I think 6th & I would be a good venue for Cat Power.  I've had nothing but great experiences at shows there.

Then again, I also really enjoyed Chelsea Light Moving at the Black Cat earlier this year, despite really not loving their album.  Solid live performance.  You can't go wrong with either show.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2165 on: October 10, 2013, 02:55:58 pm »
I guess the dropping the bass just isn't as popular as it used to be.  Or are getting in touch with their roots.  We should all show up in Wall of Beard T-shirts...
T.Rex

emmanuel

« Reply #2166 on: October 10, 2013, 08:23:57 pm »
cat power
sixth and I
11/13

Ahh  :( Same night as Thurston Moore in Baltimore.
That shouldnt even be a conflict! Go to Chelsea Light Moving at the Ottobar! Its probably cliche at this point to point out that Cat Power isnt great live (at least from my experience seeing her at a fest), but maybe she would have an "on" night.  As for the venue, for some reason I do not like it, and that caused me to skip the Polyphonic Spree (one of the top five all time favorite bands) this year.

Thurston, on the other hand, was amazing every time I saw him (with Sonic Youth, as Caught on Tape with John from CLM, and those two with Merzbow).  The Ottobar is a great venue for shows like this.  Not too big, not too small, good sound system (but not the best), and usually a good crowd. 

I will go to CLM because I am in Baltimore, although I haven't seen Cat Power in many years due to travel/show conflicts, and I really like Sixth and I.

azaghal1981

« Reply #2167 on: October 10, 2013, 11:29:51 pm »
I still have yet to forgive Joe for dragging me to that Cat Power show at 930 in '09. Painfully boring. The Tombs/Dysrhythmia gig at Velvet after was a good way to wash the bad taste out of my mouth though.
احمد

Yada

« Reply #2168 on: October 11, 2013, 08:39:03 am »
Nothing gets the board chattering like a Cat Power announcement.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2169 on: October 11, 2013, 08:52:31 am »
I still have yet to forgive Joe for dragging me to that Cat Power show at 930 in '09. Painfully boring. The Tombs/Dysrhythmia gig at Velvet after was a good way to wash the bad taste out of my mouth though.
At least she's pleasent to look a--, er, um, nevermind.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #2170 on: October 11, 2013, 09:05:55 am »
At least she's pleasent to look a--, er, um, nevermind.

Unfortunately, not any more... used to be.

DotTheEyes

« Reply #2171 on: October 11, 2013, 09:17:16 am »
I heard Cat Power opened for Billy Idol at Wolf Trap earlier this year, which I found very surprising.  Knowing how...volatile she can be in front of an audience of the faithful at a club or small theatre, the idea of her playing to a slowly-filing-in, largely-disinterested mainstream crowd has the ring of a recipe for disaster.  Though I did not hear any grave news reports, so maybe it went fine.

Yada

« Reply #2172 on: October 11, 2013, 09:31:12 am »

hot

not hot

hutch

« Reply #2173 on: October 11, 2013, 09:59:46 am »
didn't realize the hives had gone on sale...

DotTheEyes

« Reply #2174 on: October 12, 2013, 11:03:05 am »
I thought Rob Zombie at the club would sell out very fast.  Guess not.  Doesn't he tend to play at least Patriot Center sized venues?