Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1455326 times)

Yada

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #2730 on: April 16, 2014, 03:44:05 pm »
Julian and atomic don't post all day but then post back to back in the same thread... it's all adding up.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2731 on: April 16, 2014, 04:12:53 pm »
you know what i miss?  the daily antics of relaxer.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2732 on: April 16, 2014, 04:21:54 pm »
Julian and atomic don't post all day but then post back to back in the same thread... it's all adding up.
This line of reasoning is getting old.

If someone could maintain both a Julian and an Atomic persona for years, they'd have to be a unique, once-in-a-generation messageboard talent.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #2733 on: April 16, 2014, 04:26:32 pm »
This line of reasoning is getting old.

If someone could maintain both a Julian and an Atomic persona for years, they'd have to be a unique, once-in-a-generation messageboard talent.

I wish I posted here in my prime message board days... I could've added some gold to this place.

hutch

« Reply #2734 on: April 16, 2014, 05:13:00 pm »
You mean changes to ticket prices for similarly sized venues (and can you link some evidence of these price increases, maybe a nice paper someone wrote)?  I didn't notice an increase in the ticket prices of smaller venues since the Fillmore opened.

^^^^^^ This.

This is what I found so ridiculous about people on here's hatred of this venue when it was proposed. Half of their argument is fanboy non-sequitor about how nothing could ever be as good as an IMP venue (because Seth is the only club owner on earth who can run a good ship, sure! /s), and the other half is pure conjecture. It was virtual gospel on here back in 2007 or so that if SSF opened up, ticket prices would sky rocket, and it just hasn't been true. But if you ask for proof of all this fanboy bluster, you're the asshole for asking. Its inane.

I don't know how its possible to get more things wrong in one post than you just did.

I actually thought the Fillmore was a great idea and posted as such many times including in banter with seth who argued the consumer would lose out with higher prices..... I now agree with what Seth wrote and dont' think the Fillmore has brought anything to the area we didnt already have...they're poaching bands I'd rather see at the 930 and I think it has led to prices going up as competing venues bid themselves up on the "talent fees"...

And I'm sorry I have not written a dissertation yet...but stay tuned... maybe someday i'll be so bored i'll compare prices of say last show at 930 to next show at Fillmore for the same band..there are many examples... the Cult comes to mind....they ALWAYS played the 930.. all of a sudden during the "Play Electric Tour" they are at the Fillmore...... is the price for Echo going to be the same at the Filmore as it was at the Black Cat the last two times they played? Stay tuned...

atomic

« Reply #2735 on: April 16, 2014, 06:04:25 pm »

Maybe it was the first thread all day worth responding to.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2736 on: April 16, 2014, 06:08:04 pm »
FSS
- souless, corporate cookie-cutter "you are here to be rocked(TM)" feel
- bad beer selection
- VIP nonesense
- built with my tax dollars
- in the 3+ years it's been open, it has attracted me for ONE show.  for a supposedly top tier venue they book horrible bands.

i would be better off without that venue.  it's a net negative.
<sig>

Hexenjagd

« Reply #2737 on: April 16, 2014, 06:44:05 pm »
Why would you be better off without the venue?  You don't like it, then don't go.  I don't see any of your reasons impacting you personally.  I would think you would approve of its existence, so that Seth could skip some of these acts you don't approve of, and book the ones you would want. 

For example, next Thursday. If Fillmore didn't exist, would Seth have booked Riff Raff?  Would Riff Raff even have an area show?  Would Galantis have been booked anywhere? 

Our world is mostly corporate-cookie cutter bs.  There is always Barclay House, if you want to watch music in a basement with a backdrop that features both a pentagram and the words "Don't Feed the Pigs?" It has a great beer selection; whatever you want to bring with you. 

(I also don't really like the booking at Fillmore, but I have seen a couple shows there. I was really impressed with the sound system and sight lines, two important factors for me in liking a venue, though character is important.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 07:25:43 pm by Hexenjagd »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2738 on: April 16, 2014, 09:37:28 pm »
I don't see any of your reasons impacting you personally. 

over $5 million dollars of my tax money went into subsidizing that place.  this affects me directly.
<sig>

« Reply #2739 on: April 16, 2014, 09:40:09 pm »
over $5 million dollars of my tax money went into subsidizing that place.  this affects me directly.

You've paid $5mil in taxes? Welcome to Julian's America.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #2740 on: April 16, 2014, 09:52:31 pm »

You've paid $5mil in taxes? Welcome to Julian's America.

Good one.

Anyway building the place creates jobs.  When Live Nation booked Rams head live they booked awful acts.  They don't know what they are doing.  Maybe one day they will unload the place and someone who knows a thing or two about booking could get the place.  I have never been to silver spring place as they have never gotten a band there I have wanted to see enough to drive down there that didn't sell out by the time I realized they had a good band.

medeski7

« Reply #2741 on: April 17, 2014, 08:43:21 am »
Anyone have inside info on when Disco Biscuits tickets go on sale? Presale is over and still no info.

wml7

« Reply #2742 on: April 17, 2014, 11:56:34 am »
Didn't know where else to post this but Hopscotch has been announced.  Looks good this year.
http://hopscotchmusicfest.com/

;D

K8teebug

« Reply #2743 on: April 17, 2014, 11:57:17 am »
Thanks for the Natalie Merchant announcement.  I never got to see her back in the day!  Just got tickets.

« Reply #2744 on: April 17, 2014, 12:00:42 pm »
Didn't know where else to post this but Hopscotch has been announced.  Looks good this year.
http://hopscotchmusicfest.com/

;D
I'm going to this. Great lineup.
LVMH