Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1455579 times)

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #3075 on: October 07, 2014, 09:30:06 am »
What is your point?

Bet it sells better than Ace Frehley.
Lucinda Williams
11-13
Ramshead Annapolis
$75

It's not much cheaper.
What is your point?....I mean in general. 
slack

James Ford

« Reply #3076 on: October 07, 2014, 09:50:21 am »
My point was the Lucinda Williams is an artist who has headlined a shed like Wolftrap several times in recent years. Ace Frehley is an artist who was in KISS a long time ago and most recently played JAXX. Lucinda has a very loyal fanbase of middle aged/middle class white people, I'm not sure about Ace. Lucinda continues to put out albums that draw raves and sell moderately well, I'm not sure about Ace.

Hence, I think Lucinda's show will sell better given that they are at the same venue and comparably (high) priced.

What is your point?

Bet it sells better than Ace Frehley.
Lucinda Williams
11-13
Ramshead Annapolis
$75

It's not much cheaper.
What is your point?....I mean in general. 

« Reply #3077 on: October 07, 2014, 10:04:26 am »
^^recorded with Ryan Adams

also I meant what is your point on this board
I was looking for deep soul searching
slack

James Ford

« Reply #3078 on: October 07, 2014, 10:19:05 am »
What was recorded with Ryan Adams?

James Ford

« Reply #3079 on: October 07, 2014, 10:19:26 am »
you go first

« Reply #3080 on: October 07, 2014, 10:44:15 am »
 Essence (2001).  The title track includes a contribution on Hammond organ by alternative country musician Ryan Adams.
slack

James Ford

« Reply #3081 on: October 07, 2014, 10:49:52 am »
Are you trying to say that because Ryan Adams played organ 13 years ago on one of the 100+ songs that Lucinda has written and recorded, that that is a reason why she would sell more concert tickets than Ace Frehley?

Sounds kind of far fetched, but ok.

Essence (2001).  The title track includes a contribution on Hammond organ by alternative country musician Ryan Adams.

« Reply #3082 on: October 07, 2014, 10:51:12 am »
answering a question with a question...that is your MO

I'll go first and say: my point is to get you to reveal the inner workings of your mind, what makes you tick and mostly why are you so filled hate
slack

« Reply #3083 on: October 07, 2014, 10:52:18 am »
Are you trying to say that because Ryan Adams played organ 13 years ago on one of the 100+ songs that Lucinda has written and recorded, that that is a reason why she would sell more concert tickets than Ace Frehley?

Not at all, you seem to mock his musical abilities at every opportunity and I just wanted to show that some one you revere has worked with someone you mock regularly
slack

James Ford

« Reply #3084 on: October 07, 2014, 11:04:03 am »
Why does anyone post here?

I would personally answer that question by saying there's a broad range of topics discussed, and I can cherry pick which ones I want to discuss. I doubt I'd get to have a discussing about Lucinda Williams vs. Ace Frehley or a discussion of Vermont beer if I limited myself to talking with people I work with. Ok, maybe I would, but they'd likely be humoring me rather than having a true interest.

Over my time of posting, I've also met a handful of people that I'd call "acquaintances" and another handful I'd call "friends". Though I didn't join the board with the hope of expanding my social circle, I'm happy that that has been a byproduct.

Wait, what was the question?

answering a question with a question...that is your MO

I'll go first and say: my point is to get you to reveal the inner workings of your mind, what makes you tick and mostly why are you so filled hate

James Ford

« Reply #3085 on: October 07, 2014, 11:09:38 am »
I loved Ryan in Whiskeytown. I even once went on a date with his ex-girlfriend (set up by a mutual friend when I lived in Raleigh, before I knew who he was, nice girl but no chemistry). I loved Heartbreaker. Mostly mediocre since then though.

I revere Willie Nelson too, but he has put out some total crap and worked with musicians who were much more laughable than Ryan Adams (and yes I know Willie has worked with Ryan).

If someone lost their integrity based on who they associated with, few would have integrity. Hell, you're talking to me on the internet. Your integrity is shot to hell. lol

Not at all, you seem to mock his musical abilities at every opportunity and I just wanted to show that some one you revere has worked with someone you mock regularly

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3086 on: October 07, 2014, 12:09:59 pm »
Just announced: Morrissey has cancer
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29524966
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #3087 on: October 07, 2014, 02:22:57 pm »
I'd like to know who these crap musicians Willie Nelson has played with??

As far as I know he most always plays with either:

1. "The Family" who are great
2. Session players around Nashville who are great (Mickey Raphael from The Family sometimes joins the sessions)
3. Whoever drops by his ranch in Pedernales, TX... one of the great things about Willie is he'll play with anyone because he loves it....

He did do a ton of duets for a while (including with Ryan on a few I think).... and duet albums but by and by these are all accomplished musicians...

I doubt Ryan Adams can hold the jockstrap of most musicians Willie plays with... Pretty sure he'd agree

As far as Lucinda selling better than Ace or not Mr. Ford.... YOu do remember that Route 29 review which included Lucinda and I can't' recall what other acts at MPP which drew hardly anybody, right? Something like 2000 was the number we talked about... Seth chimed in as I recall.. admitted epic fail.

Lucinda may sell better than Ace.. .I'm not sure what the relevance is.. Its like comparing apples and oranges... I'd rather see Lucinda at Ramshead Annapolis than anywhere else but I'd have trouble coming up with a worse place to see Ace.....I'm sure I'm not the only who feels that way...

My guess is both shows will sell out.... although who knows....who cares? I think you're trying to imply that if Ace can't sellout Annapolis then why would he be booked in DC? Honestly its hard what to guess what you're getting at...

I'm not going to bother listing all the great guitarists that list Ace as either the biggest influence on their choice to become rock musicians or on their early guitar playing...

You see it is possible to love both Lucinda and Ace as long as you keep an open mind..

hutch

« Reply #3088 on: October 07, 2014, 02:27:52 pm »
Trey Anastasio Band
12/2 & 12/3
9:30

Who is in the "Band"

Does it include horns??

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #3089 on: October 07, 2014, 02:31:14 pm »
Hmmm, interesting - I might need to make a midweek stop at the 930 club this December...