Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1456569 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #3330 on: January 22, 2015, 05:23:20 pm »
Yep!

------------------------------

Six years after their last visit, we're thrilled to announce that the Manics are returning to the US.

The band will bring 'The Holy Bible' live show to America for a run of dates in this spring.

Tickets for the shows go on general sale at 1pm Friday 23rd January.

Details of the dates are listed below, stay tuned for more info...

Mon April 20 - Washington DC, 9.30 Club
 Thurs April 23 - New York, Webster Hall
 Fri April 24 - Boston, The Sinclair
 Mon April 27 - Toronto, Danforth
 Weds April 29 - Chicago, Metro
(_|_)

Giles

« Reply #3331 on: January 22, 2015, 05:25:11 pm »
The Manics!  finally!! shame they got dozens of great tunes (no, 'Let's Go to War' from their latest album) - well at least it's 'The Holy Bible'

bearman🐻

« Reply #3332 on: January 22, 2015, 05:27:09 pm »
Prediction: everyone that goes to this will end up putting it on their top 10 list as one of the best shows of the year. The fact that they're also playing "Motorcycle Emptiness" just makes me giddy. I cannot wait for this. And I have a ticket for Ride in NYC too. Crazy.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3333 on: January 22, 2015, 05:32:08 pm »
The Manics!  finally!! shame they got dozens of great tunes (no, 'Let's Go to War' from their latest album) - well at least it's 'The Holy Bible'
setlist.fm shows that in the UK they're basically doing an entire second greatest hits set in addition to The Holy Bible.
LVMH

Giles

« Reply #3334 on: January 22, 2015, 05:42:21 pm »
^ cool!!  The last time I saw the Manics - was at the Chelmsford V-Fest when they replaced Travis as the headlining band on the NME stage - I've never seen an entire field get that ecstatic and complete sing along to every song - now THAT was an experience I'll never forget. 

as to the second half of the show - why is it that 'Show Me the Wonder' is now morphed into an acoustic version of that song - the full blown electric version has tremendous power - eh... whatevs... I can't WAIT to see them here at the 9:30.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:45:11 pm by Giles »

Giles

« Reply #3335 on: January 22, 2015, 05:49:51 pm »
An Arctic Monkey's show is often described as songs played with little fanfare and much like as recorded in the studio. 

yup. AM @ the club was one of the dullest performances i've ever attended.  and they were pissy on top of it.  horrible, boring show. 

I saw them twice. Neither time had a lot of jump-around showmanship, but the first 9:30 show sounded so great that it was really cool. THe second show was totally a barely-going-through-the-motions affair and it blew.

I saw the Arctic's at their first 9:30 show - it was like watching paint dry.   Have their live shows improved?

bearman🐻

« Reply #3336 on: January 22, 2015, 05:51:21 pm »
I've seen the AMs like 3 times. Every single time it's been either dullsville or merely OK. They're not a great live band.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3337 on: January 22, 2015, 07:10:00 pm »
why are we resurrecting a 4-year old conversation about the AMs?  are they coming to town?

if so, i'm washing my hair that night.  sorry!
<sig>

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #3338 on: January 22, 2015, 07:42:18 pm »
Prediction: everyone that goes to this will end up putting it on their top 10 list as one of the best shows of the year.

It's a top 5 album for me, easily.  Not going to say it'll automatically be a top 10 performance but it'll be special nonetheless.

I think I read a Quietus live review where James' voice didn't hold up over the course of the set.  Hoping for better (much better) than that. 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3339 on: January 22, 2015, 10:54:27 pm »
Fascinating.  I've never listened to this band . . . But have been following this story along with an interested sort of excitement.  And look at all these people respond whom I don't think I have ever heard them respond to anything.  Double, fascinating.

bearman🐻

« Reply #3340 on: January 23, 2015, 12:18:38 am »
Fascinating.  I've never listened to this band . . . But have been following this story along with an interested sort of excitement.  And look at all these people respond whom I don't think I have ever heard them respond to anything.  Double, fascinating.

I used to listen to WXRT when I lived in Chicago and there were 2 shows I would religiously listen to: Rock Over London and the Big Beat. ROL was mostly British stuff (really from all over the UK) and the Big Beat was indie rock. I used to record stuff onto cassettes, and I vividly remember when they played the original version of "You Love Us" by Manic Street Preachers, which ended with a sample of "Lust for Life". I joined the fan club and just for joining, they sent me a couple free import CD singles. There was a girl named Caffy who ran the fan club and she and I became pen pals. Truly, I had never gotten that kind of love from a band before so I quickly grew an emotional attachment to Manic Street Preachers. When their debut LP came out, I thought it was half "Never Mind the Bollocks" and half "Appetite for Destruction". I thought it was going to be the biggest record, but grunge stole all the thunder away from them. I missed the small tour they did for that LP and I was bummed because I still think it's phenomenal. For many years I bought everything the band released...when Richie died, I thought that was it for them. Anyway, all these years later, I find myself getting kind of misty-eyed at the thought of finally hearing all this stuff live. The only other time I saw them was opening for Oasis in 1996 at the Nissan Pavilion before it became the Lube. I did interview Nicky Wire once by phone and he was the nicest guy, a total gem. This is a really huge surprise and I haven't been this excited or happy about a concert in quite a while.

bearman🐻

« Reply #3341 on: January 23, 2015, 12:53:07 am »
Found the early version of You Love Us...haven't heard this in a LONG time. Probably about 20 years, if not longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpsBjIGwkRE

bearman🐻

« Reply #3342 on: January 23, 2015, 01:05:18 am »
I also found the original version of "I am One" by Smashing Pumpkins....this is the one I heard first and I know it sounds slower but I kind of prefer this one. The vinyl version of this must be worth some bucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX_l1DbHkBE

bearman🐻

« Reply #3343 on: January 23, 2015, 10:55:14 am »
FYI, if you're looking for Manic Street Preachers tix, their web site says they're on sale at 1pm today, and that's where I'm going to buy mine. Boston already had a presale yesterday.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #3344 on: January 23, 2015, 10:55:31 am »
I've seen the AMs like 3 times. Every single time it's been either dullsville or merely OK. They're not a great live band.
Saw them on their first tour at The Norva. It was like listening to the album. Seen them multiple times since then. I think up until their Humbug tour. Thought they got WAY better with their stage prescence. Hadn't seen them since. Wouldn't mind seeing them now with their new material.
‼‼?‼‼