Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1455458 times)

bearman🐻

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #3855 on: October 27, 2015, 10:49:38 pm »
Ok, we get it.

The Feelies are my favorite live band. We are incredibly lucky to have them come to DC because they don't do "real" tours. I know Hutch sounds like he's beating a dead horse, but he's not. The Feelies are to me what the Grateful Dead were to Deadheads. I'm already super excited to see them again.

ggw

« Reply #3856 on: October 27, 2015, 10:57:17 pm »
Hutch probably didn't need to say the same thing seven times in four different threads, but......he's right.

hutch

« Reply #3857 on: October 27, 2015, 11:22:43 pm »
Hutch probably didn't need to say the same thing seven times in four different threads, but......he's right.

actually in this case I do... they don't necessarily draw that amazing....and it seems a crime...so I'm trying to get people to buy a frickin' ticket to see them!

like I said I don't often do that....in fact I dont' think I have ever done that..

lots of great latino rock I can plug if you guys want that... ;D

azaghal1981

« Reply #3858 on: October 28, 2015, 01:00:23 am »
 He is.
They really are one of the best live bands going.
احمد

bearman🐻

« Reply #3859 on: October 28, 2015, 08:05:10 am »
He is.
They really are one of the best live bands going.

Not that I am happy when others agree with me...BUT (ha ha) it's cool to see other people "get" the Feelies. To me they're sort of one of the last links to the Velvet Underground in the sense that they're so richly influenced directly by them, yet they still sound like themselves. They do their own stuff with style, and covers still sound like them too. But a distinct VU influence is there.  At some point in time, you won't see anyone else like them around again performing with their level of proficiency. As time passes, I appreciate them more. They aren't touring themselves into the ground, which allows them to play 180-190 minute sets.

On a related note, if any of you are ever out in Rehoboth Beach, check out Gidgets Gadgets Imporium. Their former manager (who also ran Maxwell's in Hoboken) sells excellent vinyl. Lots and lots of collectable stuff. I got a copy of a live Talking Heads promo last time I was there from 1979 and it has David Byrne's handwriting of the track listing on the inner sleeve. Good price too.

Space Freely

« Reply #3860 on: October 28, 2015, 09:47:54 am »

actually in this case I do... they don't necessarily draw that amazing....and it seems a crime...so I'm trying to get people to buy a frickin' ticket to see them!

like I said I don't often do that....in fact I dont' think I have ever done that..

lots of great latino rock I can plug if you guys want that... ;D

You just about convinced me to go, but my mom's 75th birthday weekend comes but once in a lifetime.

Relaxer

« Reply #3861 on: October 28, 2015, 10:28:58 am »
Yeah, I'm sold. Have never seen the Feelies nor really listened to them all that much. But what the hell. I'll be up for a good time after having been fleeced by taxes.
oword

walk,on,by

« Reply #3862 on: October 28, 2015, 10:44:39 am »
relaxer and "feelies"?  I could be, in.

now, back to my hot pocket.

Relaxer

« Reply #3863 on: October 28, 2015, 10:57:51 am »
Come on man, let's make some crazy rhythms.
oword

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3864 on: October 28, 2015, 11:02:20 am »
Not that I am happy when others agree with me...BUT (ha ha) it's cool to see other people "get" the Feelies.

maybe i'm one of the rare people who don't get the feelies, then.  i saw them in 2008 in NYC when they opened for Sonic Youth... they were awrite but didn't blow me away.  it was their first show together in a while so maybe they were still working out the kinks.
<sig>

Relaxer

« Reply #3865 on: October 28, 2015, 11:06:44 am »
Sidebar: last night I had a dream that I was biking through the city and saw Sweetcell standing on the corner talking to a woman and as I rode by I yelled "SWEETCELL" and the look you gave me was so withering and contemptuous that my dream became a nightmare for a few seconds but then I proceeded on to other adventures, the end.
oword

« Reply #3866 on: October 28, 2015, 11:23:50 am »
Sidebar: last night I had a dream that I was biking through the city and saw Sweetcell standing on the corner talking to a woman and as I rode by I yelled "SWEETCELL" and the look you gave me was so withering and contemptuous that my dream became a nightmare for a few seconds but then I proceeded on to other adventures, the end.
not sure why...but that made my day   ;D
slack

« Reply #3867 on: October 28, 2015, 11:26:11 am »
Yeah, I'm sold. Have never seen the Feelies nor really listened to them all that much. But what the hell. I'll be up for a good time after having been fleeced by taxes.
I'm in the same camp and trust Hutch's instincts (against my better judgement sometimes)
but 4/16...jez who knows what I might be doing
possibly taking my hoverboard to goddard to get on my first trip to mars?
slack

ggw

« Reply #3868 on: October 28, 2015, 11:50:30 am »
Not that I am happy when others agree with me...BUT (ha ha) it's cool to see other people "get" the Feelies.

maybe i'm one of the rare people who don't get the feelies, then.  i saw them in 2008 in NYC when they opened for Sonic Youth... they were awrite but didn't blow me away.  it was their first show together in a while so maybe they were still working out the kinks.

Judging by the setlist, that was a very short show (and outdoors; yes?).  Below is a more representative setlist.

1st Set
When Company Comes  / Bluer Skies / Egyptian Reggae (Jonathan Richman)
For Now / Invitation / Nobody Knows / Should Be Gone / Let's Go / Again Today
The High Road / On The Roof / Way Down / Seven Days (Bob Dylan)

2nd Set
Deep Fascination / On And On / Higher Ground / The Final Word / Away
Slipping (Into Something) / Doin It Again / Original Love / Time Is Right
Too Far Gone / Raised Eyebrows / Crazy Rhythms
When You Know / Carnival of Sorts (Boxcars) (R.E.M.) / Sooner Or Later
I Wanna Be Your Dog (Stooges) / Fa Cé-La

And that doesn't include the usual VU covers, arcane Doors and Neil Young tunes, and the Stones' "Rocks Off" which they ripped through at one of the 9:30 shows in recent years.

I wholeheartedly encourage you to give them another shot.  I mean, how often do hutch, bearman, azaghal, and myself all endorse the same thing?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3869 on: October 28, 2015, 11:57:54 am »
I mean, how often do hutch, bearman, azaghal, and myself all endorse the same thing?
This is going to be a pretty wild array of boardies there. Since it's a Saturday, do we want to attempt a boardie meetup/drinks before/after? Do I need to go back and put my community ORGANIZER hat back on for a bit?
LVMH