Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1456129 times)

Space Freely

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #4335 on: May 04, 2016, 07:43:14 pm »
I mean WTF is "they deserve better" supposed to mean? the Velvet Underground played most of their shows before a handful of people....

As a huge fan- and Luna was the number one reunion I wanted to see- I'm real happy I will have another chance to see them...

I'm pretty sure i saw Luna at the old 9:30 Club, then again at the Cat's Cradle in 96 or 97, then several times at the new 9:30, including the reunion show. Hey, I didn't see their every appearance in the last 10 years, but when you have a wife and young kid at home, you pick and choose carefully and sparingly which nights you go out....

Anyway, I've always associated seeing Luna with seeing them at a proper rock club. The Birchmere is tacky, tacky, tacky. It's where my middle aged suburban neighbors pay 45 bucks (plus mandatory parking and handling fees) to go see Kevin Bacon play a three night stand. Or 80 bucks to see Three Dog Night, and it's probably not even the original dogs.

To me, Dean Wareham is an elder statesmen of indie rock. He practically defines middle aged cool. He belongs in a rock club, not a cheese club.

hutch

« Reply #4336 on: May 04, 2016, 08:56:14 pm »
I mean WTF is "they deserve better" supposed to mean? the Velvet Underground played most of their shows before a handful of people....

As a huge fan- and Luna was the number one reunion I wanted to see- I'm real happy I will have another chance to see them...

I'm pretty sure i saw Luna at the old 9:30 Club, then again at the Cat's Cradle in 96 or 97, then several times at the new 9:30, including the reunion show. Hey, I didn't see their every appearance in the last 10 years, but when you have a wife and young kid at home, you pick and choose carefully and sparingly which nights you go out....

Anyway, I've always associated seeing Luna with seeing them at a proper rock club. The Birchmere is tacky, tacky, tacky. It's where my middle aged suburban neighbors pay 45 bucks (plus mandatory parking and handling fees) to go see Kevin Bacon play a three night stand. Or 80 bucks to see Three Dog Night, and it's probably not even the original dogs.

To me, Dean Wareham is an elder statesmen of indie rock. He practically defines middle aged cool. He belongs in a rock club, not a cheese club.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say.... I just don't care.. we'll have a good time! It will be fun.... the band will have a good time too..

one of the things I've learned over the years is that seeing the same bands in the same clubs time after time is boring and the shows really blend into one .. when you see a band in an unexpected venue that show becomes more memorable..  it doesn't seem like it would be that way but it is...

I saw Dean and Britta at the National Gallery of Art.. very cool... they had a giant screen TV and were playing Warhol screen tests while they played songs associated with the Factory........it was free and on a weekend afternoon.... of course the line of people trying to catch a free show was ridiculous (all those thousands of people couldn't fork over $20 to see them at the Black cat but FREE SHOW FREE SHOW and they descended like maggots)... I was the last person to get in!

hutch

« Reply #4337 on: May 04, 2016, 09:02:19 pm »
I mean lets think about it from Dean's angle.. yes the 930 Club is spectacular.. but they have played it what 10 times? 15 times??? How interesting can it be to stare at the same wall in the green room, etc..?

You go to the Birchmere - and you may not like it- but the place has some SERIOUS history... you may not like country or folk but some serious dudes have played that place... a guy like Dean Wareham is going to be interested in that.. heck one of his personal heroines , Nancy Sinatra, played there...Ray Charles played there, Cash.. and they got all the signed and dedicated pictures.

I know cool rock and rollers may have trouble seeing that but I think its true... after you've played a place time after time after time..  a different place and in VIRGINIA could be more interesting...

the key will of course be what the turnout is... if everybody says "oh the birchmere blows! fuck that shit!" well it could be sad... but if people go and its relatively well attended.. no reason it can't be a great time.. :'(

I mean shit it just occured to me that you really like a lot of the musicians that play that place tons: Lucinda, Earle, Dement....

hutch

« Reply #4338 on: May 04, 2016, 09:07:56 pm »
I'm here all night!

Space Freely

« Reply #4339 on: May 04, 2016, 09:12:51 pm »
Lucinda hasn't played there since 2012. Steve and Iris, they are well past their primes.

I grant you that legends have played there. In the past. A long time ago.

hutch

« Reply #4340 on: May 04, 2016, 09:17:41 pm »
Lucinda hasn't played there since 2012. Steve and Iris, they are well past their primes.

Steve Earle, Lucinda and Iris all played there in their prime.. I saw Lucinda and Iris there in the 1990s.. can't say for sure about Earle but wouldn't bet against having seen him there in the 1990s and am sure he played... also saw Son Volt there around 1997 when they were doing fine...

The place has changed a bit perhaps...I'd grant you that...

Space Freely

« Reply #4341 on: May 04, 2016, 09:32:10 pm »

Steve Earle, Lucinda and Iris all played there in their prime.. I saw Lucinda and Iris there in the 1990s.. can't say for sure about Earle but wouldn't bet against having seen him there in the 1990s and am sure he played... also saw Son Volt there around 1997 when they were doing fine...

Maybe I'm just bitter because one time my pregnant wife dared to complain after not getting the water she has asked for 45 minutes prior, and instead on getting any sort of apology from the server, she instead got an earful from the server, followed up by a visit from a manager who accused my wife of "disrespecting my worker".

hutch

« Reply #4342 on: May 04, 2016, 09:41:21 pm »

Maybe I'm just bitter because one time my pregnant wife dared to complain after not getting the water she has asked for 45 minutes prior, and instead on getting any sort of apology from the server, she instead got an earful from the server, followed up by a visit from a manager who accused my wife of "disrespecting my worker".

well..yeah..that would make me bitter...

I think the acts they get has changed.. I'm not sure if its because alternative country died or what...they do seem to get a lot of the America's/Three Dog Night's which are gross...I mean there is a reason I did not go to a show for more than 10 years.. so weird if I am able to go to Luna- which I expect to- that will make two shows in one year there for me..back in the late 90s they used to get a lot of shows I liked...

shemptiness

« Reply #4343 on: May 09, 2016, 07:39:39 pm »
welcome...and the fees are included in the ticket price!

Louis CK
Baltimore (3 shows) - Lyric Theater
on sale now...check ticketmaster

Thanks for that - snagged Orch Row B

Also - Springsteen at Nats Park 9/1

It felt weird not paying the extra fees so I got the Event Ticket Protector on each ticket.  Don't ask me why. 

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #4344 on: May 10, 2016, 09:58:43 am »
Pitbull!
MCI Center
8-4

So The Guy Nobody Likes is playing an arena. Is my life that sheltered or just so different that it never encounters his fans?
😐 🎶

killsaly

« Reply #4345 on: May 10, 2016, 10:33:19 am »
I do not usually encounter Pitbull fans on a daily basis, but I am not so naive as to think that he should not be playing arenas. 

Pitbull is a huge star.  People like us might not like him, but he has tons of fans.  He sells millions of albums and singles.  He stars in commercials.  He is a popular culture icon. 

http://thatgrapejuice.net/2013/11/pitbull-single-sales-surpass-40-million-mark/
?Miami-native Pitbull aka Mr. Worldwide and Mr. 305 is a globally successful musician, performer, business entrepreneur, fashion icon and actor whose career sales exceed 5 million albums and 40 million singles worldwide. Pitbull has #1 hits in more than 15 countries and his videos have been viewed more than 3 billion times; his music video for the single ?Give Me Everything? has alone received over 300 million views on Youtube.?

Where do you think he should play?

killsaly

« Reply #4346 on: May 10, 2016, 10:50:33 am »
Pet Shop Boys
11/11
Warner Theater
Awesome!  I would say this will be my first time to go to Warner, but I am already going for the first time to see Seal in August.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #4347 on: May 10, 2016, 11:03:36 am »
I do not usually encounter Pitbull fans on a daily basis, but I am not so naive as to think that he should not be playing arenas. 

Pitbull is a huge star.  People like us might not like him, but he has tons of fans.  He sells millions of albums and singles.  He stars in commercials.  He is a popular culture icon. 

http://thatgrapejuice.net/2013/11/pitbull-single-sales-surpass-40-million-mark/
?Miami-native Pitbull aka Mr. Worldwide and Mr. 305 is a globally successful musician, performer, business entrepreneur, fashion icon and actor whose career sales exceed 5 million albums and 40 million singles worldwide. Pitbull has #1 hits in more than 15 countries and his videos have been viewed more than 3 billion times; his music video for the single ?Give Me Everything? has alone received over 300 million views on Youtube.?

Where do you think he should play?

I actually know most of that but it nevertheless surprises me given all the "Pitbull sucks" memes out there. He's the international Nickelback.
😐 🎶

killsaly

« Reply #4348 on: May 10, 2016, 11:06:38 am »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 11:14:26 am by killsaly »

hutch

« Reply #4349 on: May 10, 2016, 11:12:40 am »
^LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!