Author Topic: OFWGKTA  (Read 19329 times)

nkotb

Re: OFWGKTA
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2011, 10:22:05 am »
Little bit of column A...little bit of column B.  It was the Gibbard that playlist that really did me in, wasn't it?

Would that crack  be aimed at whiteys or gays?

Boy, if he ever made a crack about shopping for organic avocados at Whole Foods or my all Ben Gibbard iTunes playlist, I'd be FURIOUS.

I should note that I'm a straight, middle-class white male age 30-34, so I have nothing to really be offended about in any way, shape or form.

doesn't he go off on whiteys?  you could always be offended by that, if you're feeling left out.

nkotb

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2011, 10:22:58 am »
Their DJ did a quick set (20 minutes, tops?) that segued right into Odd Future.  They were pretty punctual, for a hip hop show; maybe only 10 minutes past 9:30?  Didn't look at my watch, but I was surprised.

Was there an opner for the show??  What time did these fuckers start playing?  Checking them out at Sonar tonight  ;D

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2011, 10:25:32 am »
Would that crack  be aimed at whiteys or gays?

Boy, if he ever made a crack about shopping for organic avocados at Whole Foods or my all Ben Gibbard iTunes playlist, I'd be FURIOUS.

I should note that I'm a straight, middle-class white male age 30-34, so I have nothing to really be offended about in any way, shape or form.

doesn't he go off on whiteys?  you could always be offended by that, if you're feeling left out.

LOL
<sig>

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2011, 10:36:30 am »
I just can't get behind someone who talks about women that way.  Even if they "don't mean it".
Or themselves I guess. I really didn't think my girlfriend would want to see them OR like them in anyway, she thought they were great. If you take the lyrics seriously you're kind of missing the point. On his new album he talks to his therapist throughout and his therapist calls him out and Tyler responds "Oh no, you caught me. I'm not a rapist of a murderer. Did you really think I was?"

You see Tyler on stage and he has a huge smile, he's jumping around and yelling, then when it's not him rapping, he's in the back, dancing to his friends songs. It's music, he's not doing it to send a message, he's doing it to have fun. If you can't or don't want to support it or him, then don't. He doesn't care and I don't really think anyone else cares.
‼‼?‼‼

Relaxer

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2011, 11:43:39 am »
I gotta admit, I struggle with the lyrics but for the most part, I'm able to focus on the beats, the rapping, the tunes, etc. It's a tough one because listening to something like, say, Straight Outta Compton doesn't really offend my sensibilities but I can't even listen to Sarah off of Radical because it's just too vivid of a rape fantasy with audio clips/samples.

I don't begrudge anyone who thinks they're awful and a detriment to society, but I still love Assmilk, Epar and French.
oword

stevewizzle

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2011, 11:58:51 am »
long time lurker on this forum.  i've seen a few shows at RnR and always wondered why everyone thought the place was such a shithole.  Went to the OF show last night, and now I know.

Great show though, the groups stage presence just gives off a great vibe.  They feed off the crowd and vice versa, it's pretty cool.

For those still at a loss for their lyrics, this is the best write-up of what they are trying to achieve: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/article/241404

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2011, 12:01:13 pm »
long time lurker on this forum.  i've seen a few shows at RnR and always wondered why everyone thought the place was such a shithole.  Went to the OF show last night, and now I know.

what didn't you like about the place?

i'm definitely not a fan fo the RnR, and am wondering what your complaints are.
<sig>

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2011, 12:17:33 pm »
I gotta admit, I struggle with the lyrics but for the most part, I'm able to focus on the beats, the rapping, the tunes, etc. It's a tough one because listening to something like, say, Straight Outta Compton doesn't really offend my sensibilities but I can't even listen to Sarah off of Radical because it's just too vivid of a rape fantasy with audio clips/samples.

I don't begrudge anyone who thinks they're awful and a detriment to society, but I still love Assmilk, Epar and French.
Some shit I go "Jesus Christ!" too, but it's the same with movies and books. I guess just because so much attention is given to these kids right now is what the outrage is. When they played "French" last night I kind of lost my shit. Real glad they played Transylvania too. Love that track. Left Brain's beat is so sick!
‼‼?‼‼

heather

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2011, 12:54:20 pm »
There was definitely a collective of adult, white males under that spotlight...it's like our aged gravitational pull threw everyone together.  Wish I would've known it was you...would've said hi.

and i was just in front, to the right of you guys :)

i kinda wanted to bail yesterday, but i'm glad i didn't.  it was, in a word, FUN.  the energy on stage, the energy of the crowd-- it felt fresh, urgent.

and yes, as a woman, i kinda struggle w/ the lyrics.  i read this review yesterday afternoon and thought, "this is probably how i'll feel after tonight":  http://www.theawl.com/2011/05/with-the-ladies-in-the-back-at-an-odd-future-show

Vas Deferens

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2011, 01:06:53 pm »
(_|_)

K8teebug

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2011, 01:07:16 pm »
I'm not extremely offended by his lyrics, I just think they are a little over the top for me.  I can understand what he's doing, and I thought their performance on Jimmy Fallon was really something, but I just can't throw my money at the guy.

BookerT

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2011, 02:01:41 pm »
the ol' rapper with 'difficult'/offensive lyrics debate. still?

tyler will be selling coors light or nestea or acting on some law and order spinoff in 20 years (or less) don't worry

James Ford

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2011, 02:04:31 pm »
So were there actually any black people at this show?

nkotb

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2011, 02:06:46 pm »
The security guards were black.  Does that count?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2011, 02:07:49 pm »
i wondered the same thing