Author Topic: PJ Harvey pisses off fans...and dog drinks toilet water  (Read 7469 times)

notme

Re: PJ Harvey pisses off fans...and dog drinks toilet water
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 02:18:20 pm »
she played warner last year.  it was a good show.  same night as dean and britta at bc.  caught both of them.

azaghal1981

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 02:28:04 pm »
90 minutes sounds about right for her. There are very few (like less than I am able to count on one hand few) bands/artists that can hold my attention for longer than that at this point. And that is pushing it.

nearly 90 minutes, eh
احمد

hutch

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 02:59:14 pm »
90 minutes sounds about right for her. There are very few (like less than I am able to count on one hand few) bands/artists that can hold my attention for longer than that at this point. And that is pushing it.

nearly 90 minutes, eh

I see.. well maybe there is something wrong with your attention span?  ;) Or the artists you are seeing ain't all that and a bag of chips?

I think sets below 90 minutes are generally a ripoff...

I'm fine with an artist playing a short set.. but then they should charge less..

a rock show should be at least two hours... and there's nothing wrong with more...

I saw Chris Cornell last week at 6th and I.. he played 2 hrs 25...nobody moved.. great show.. makes you feel like its money well spent..

Now if its like the Wild Flag show where they charged $15 or whatever it was.. then an hour long set is fine..

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 03:06:25 pm »
A 30 minute set by the opening act and a 90 minute set by the headliner meets that criteria.  Or do opening acts not couint?  They are definitely included in the price of your ticket.

hutch

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 03:10:23 pm »
A 30 minute set by the opening act and a 90 minute set by the headliner meets that criteria.  Or do opening acts not couint?  They are definitely included in the price of your ticket.

Obviously opening acts mostly do not count.. When I go see the Rolling Stones I'm not paying to see Antigone Rising or Soulive, am I? Usually there is one name printed on the ticket and thats what we are talking about.

I don't understand why you wouldn't demand more from artists? Set times have been going down and at this rate you'll soon be having 45 minute sets...

I mean if your attention span is the problem just leave.. there are plenty of people who want to see as much as they can.. Nothing keeps one from just saying "I've had enough.. I'm outta here"

I think Azaghal wants short sets so he can cram more shows in per night.. ;D

hutch

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 03:12:28 pm »
I also saw PJ Harvey and Dean and Britta the same night..

Far preferred the Dean and Britta show.. that was great.. they played Joy Division/New Order's Ceremony, a VU song.. Met Britta and Dean after the show... a real nice time

PJ was a snoozer.. ain't going to see her again unless I'm on the guest list or something..since her US "tour" consists of a couple of shows its not going to happen...

azaghal1981

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 03:14:32 pm »
Yeah, 30 opener, 90 headliner for one of PJ's stature is about right.

2:25 of Chris Cornell sounds like outright brutality to me but to each his/her own.

Most of my favorite sets of music ever were under 40 minutes. Hit fans over the head and leave them wanting more is preferred over dragging a show out passed the 90 minute mark. They also get extra points for me if they don't play an "encore."

احمد

hutch

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 03:27:31 pm »

2:25 of Chris Cornell sounds like outright brutality to me but to each his/her own.

Most of my favorite sets of music ever were under 40 minutes. Hit fans over the head and leave them wanting more is preferred over dragging a show out passed the 90 minute mark. They also get extra points for me if they don't play an "encore."

I am outraged!  ;D

40 minutes doesn't give me enough time to even settle in and get comfortable! How am I going to get my beers in?

I can just see it.. I pay $80 to see Mark Knopfler at some small venue and he plays Telegraph Road and four other songs... ;D

Then the crowd torches the theater... :)

Or we drive down to Charlottesville to see Bob Dylan and he plays 6 songs.. then we drive back..

no, that ain't going to work...

;D

I think these 40 minute sets might work for no name bands without any songs anyone actually wants to hear.. hipster bands if you will.. bands that are hip for about 2 weeks... bands with a shtick that grates after 25 minutes. its a different scene at the pass the hat world.. I know.. I go to these shows every once in a while... I ain't dead yet.

But when you go see an established artist.. say tom Petty and you drive 45 minutes just to get to the show.. a 40 minute set ain't going to cut it.. I mean it might take you 40 minutes to get to your seat!

The Smiths reunite and tour the world playing 40 minute "concerts"...

hmm....

its all in good fun but these short shows are ridiculous... my woman often tells me how pissed off she was when she saw the strokes at the 930 when they first hit it big and they played 40 minutes... I was luckily out of the country at that time..

as with all things in life YMMV

andyrichter

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 03:30:45 pm »
Hmmm, not happy that there's a bigger PJ Harvey fan in this board.....(j/k)
I was at the first Terminal 5 show and had a blast as well. I expected to hear the whole album live based on the setlist from the European tour a month ago. I think the complaints are coming from casual fans or maybe from people who didn't actually go to the show(s)? I am assuming that you are referring to the comments from the brooklynvegan site. I think most of the commenters there are a bunch of trolls. Terminal 5 looks like a slightly bigger version of the 930 club but I think it's best experienced upfront. I got there around 6:15 pm and there were about 100 people in front of me but still managed to be in the second row in front of her (it helped that I knew which part of stage she was gonna be the whole time). I personally think that if you have a problem with the venue, don't go AT ALL (just ask azaghal). If you go to the yelp reviews of Terminal 5, you'll read people complaining that it's 'inconveniently located'....really? you can't walk 6-7 blocks? You're really that spoiled?

(Oh yeah, she's still relevant and it's a totally different experience with each tour...)

oh yea, i was talking about the brooklynvegan site.  i have to stop reading the comments there because i'm now convinced they're just trolling.  you're right about terminal 5, i was near the front on the right and the sound was fine.  

this was only my 4th time seeing pj so i'm sure i'm still way behind some of you other folks.  :-\

and for the record, there were no openers for this show.  doors were at 7 and she came on stage close to 9 i think so if there was a valid complaint to made, that would be it.

I'm still waiting for more details on the dog that drank the toilet water.

i came home and forgot to put the toilet seat down and my dog was doing his thing....giving me a "what do you want from me?" look....sorry, that's all i got for you  :-[  

andyrichter

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 03:36:50 pm »
i would like to point out that midway through night 2, this girl in the crowd barged through into the front row and for a good 20 minutes, was dangling this feather earing in front of pj.  i think she was trying to hypnotize pj.  it was bizarre. 

hutch

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 03:45:31 pm »
pj would be a terrible act at freefest....particularly during the day...

as someone who saw nick cave at lolla at 1 in the afternoon in the ragin' sun i scream "NOOOOOOOOO"

azaghal1981

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 03:47:24 pm »

I am outraged!  ;D

40 minutes doesn't give me enough time to even settle in and get comfortable! How am I going to get my beers in?

I can just see it.. I pay $80 to see Mark Knopfler at some small venue and he plays Telegraph Road and four other songs... ;D

Then the crowd torches the theater... :)

Or we drive down to Charlottesville to see Bob Dylan and he plays 6 songs.. then we drive back..

no, that ain't going to work...

;D

I think these 40 minute sets might work for no name bands without any songs anyone actually wants to hear.. hipster bands if you will.. bands that are hip for about 2 weeks... bands with a shtick that grates after 25 minutes. its a different scene at the pass the hat world.. I know.. I go to these shows every once in a while... I ain't dead yet.

But when you go see an established artist.. say tom Petty and you drive 45 minutes just to get to the show.. a 40 minute set ain't going to cut it.. I mean it might take you 40 minutes to get to your seat!

The Smiths reunite and tour the world playing 40 minute "concerts"...

hmm....

its all in good fun but these short shows are ridiculous... my woman often tells me how pissed off she was when she saw the strokes at the 930 when they first hit it big and they played 40 minutes... I was luckily out of the country at that time..

as with all things in life YMMV

Knopfler falls into the 90 minute category.

At the risk of sounding like Brian Wallace:
If you pay to see Bob Dylan or Tom Petty in 2011, you deserve however long a torturous set they want to give you.

The Strokes were always a terrible band.

The Smiths will never reunite.

Then again, I think we are coming at this from two completely different perspectives. You are willing to shell out tons of money to see an act in a big impersonal space in which they are expected to play all night whereas I rarely venture to a space bigger than the club (and doubt I ever will again unless I got a free ticket somehow). 90 minutes of music from an act playing 930 or even T5 is perfectly acceptable whereas 90 minutes in a shed or arena is probably frowned upon.

احمد

hutch

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 03:51:34 pm »
yeah understood.. i barely go to big shows myself these days..

teepo

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 04:53:33 pm »

seriously, this.

one of the reasons why i rarely go to shows anymore. i'm especially tired of the staged encore.

though i wouldn't mind two hours of pj.

hutch

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 05:43:06 pm »
I think the staged encore is more of a break... it makes sense to take a small break...