Author Topic: The Summer Vacation Thread  (Read 27679 times)

hutch

Re: The Summer Vacation Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2024, 11:55:39 pm »
I would get along with your wife….

Space Freely

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2024, 07:40:10 am »
I would get along with your wife….

She doesn't see the point of live music and thinks less of those who do....she those who love live music need to find some real hobbies and interests, where they are the doer rather than passive observers.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2024, 09:28:21 am »
Is this just another passive way of invalidating you as a person, or does she have any interesting hobbies on offer? Is watching the Food Network superior?

Space Freely

« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2024, 09:39:49 am »
Is this just another passive way of invalidating you as a person, or does she have any interesting hobbies on offer? Is watching the Food Network superior?

She's really into yoga and self-improvement. And supporting our daughter in her endeavors. And is she definitely one of those workaholic people who work far more than 40 hours.

I have plenty of "active" interests that don't involve being a consumer...running, biking, hiking (to a lesser degree camping and backpacking), homebrewing...well maybe not plenty but at least a few.

I don't hang my self-worth on being a fan of live music. Just not sure how well my wife would getting along with Hutch. :)

hutch

« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2024, 09:55:06 am »
Ok I finally read Space.

All I meant was I also am not into hiking….more into relaxing or doing nothing actually

Who am I to judge? If Space is ok with the situation….

Yada

« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2024, 10:16:07 am »
If you need a place to stay while you're figuring out how to get divorced, let me know.

space ain't giving away half of that gubment pension.

Space Freely

« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2024, 10:18:52 am »
Ok I finally read Space.

All I meant was I also am not into hiking….more into relaxing or doing nothing actually

Who am I to judge? If Space is ok with the situation….

Oh, I never said my wife wasn't into hiking. She's just dropped quite a bit in fitness level from the triathlon competing, marathon running woman I fell in love with many years ago. I'm still up for as much physical challenge as I can take at my age (no more marathons, but still run 15-20 miles week, bike on non-running days, and do strenuous hikes when I can), she wishes "they'd make all hikes 20% shorter, and there were better food and drink options along the way."

Conversely, she wishes I'd work longer and harder and make more money, as opposed to me being content with falling short of (what she sees as) my potential.

No situation is ideal. You either learn to live with your situation, try to improve the situation, or get our of the situation. We're shooting for a combination of the first two.

hutch

« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2024, 10:29:27 am »
Makes sense.

Some of what you describe though is so so far from “ideal”….

At the same time what you describe is more common than people might think…guys just don’t talk

And I just don’t get the sense you guys are working to make things better….how are you doing this? You are way past the point of needing couples counseling…

hutch

« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2024, 10:32:27 am »
I mean you have to be honest. Do you and your wife think you have a problem or do you think this is ok or normal? I get the sense you are resigned to the fact that this is the way it is and that it’s ok and not really a big deal.

More worrying is what you guys are modeling for your daughter….

nkotb

« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2024, 10:50:13 am »

Space Freely

« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2024, 10:56:24 am »
I mean you have to be honest. Do you and your wife think you have a problem or do you think this is ok or normal? I get the sense you are resigned to the fact that this is the way it is and that it’s ok and not really a big deal.

Yeah, there's too much to go into and an internet forum where I'm only semi-anonymous isn't the best place to go into it. I do appreciate your concern and that of others...if we ever meet at a show, first beer's on me...

Suffice it to say I don't think we knew each other that well when we got married and we're two very different people. Though we do have some commonalities we bond over and that help keep us going.

Yada

« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2024, 11:00:27 am »

Yeah, there's too much to go into and an internet forum where I'm only semi-anonymous isn't the best place to go into it. I do appreciate your concern and that of others...if we ever meet at a show, first beer's on me...

Suffice it to say I don't think we knew each other that well when we got married and we're two very different people. Though we do have some commonalities we bond over and that help keep us going.

I mean... marriage is ever changing. I can only assume you've been married longer than me based on your age, but no doubt things are going to change over a 20 year time line.

Space Freely

« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2024, 12:24:44 pm »
Hey Yada,

How would you rate the Portuguese food and women (the latter previously panned by Hutch)?

You ended up going to Lisbon and the Algarve? Was the Algarve worth the drive?

How was Olivia Rodrigo?

Do you have a burning desire to go back or is it a one and done?

hutch

« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2024, 12:39:54 pm »
Yeah full Olivia Rodrigo report please!!

« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2024, 01:24:36 pm »
Conversely, she wishes I'd work longer and harder and make more money, as opposed to me being content with falling short of (what she sees as) my potential.
have you been talking to my wife?
slack