Author Topic: The Summer Vacation Thread  (Read 26052 times)

ggw

Re: The Summer Vacation Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2011, 01:21:54 pm »
i was at cannon beach several years ago on a day trip while visting portland.  not sure i could help you much, we mostly went to just sit on the beach.  i bought a nice stunt-kite at a neato kite shop.

summer vay-cay for me this year is 2 weeks camping in quetico (aka the boundary waters).  canoing, camping, hiking, fishing for dinner, doing nothing - aaaaaaaaaahhh...

How about some Canadian suggestions?

I have been looking at Lake Louise and Cape Breton.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2011, 01:23:28 pm »
I got my scuba license in the Cayman's after about 45 minutes in the pool and a 50 foot wall/shelf dive.  It think it was $75 for a half day of lessons/diving.

Not saying it was the safest thing, but things are just a little down there...

Yeah, that sounds about right. In Cayman Brac they even offered underwater Nikon camera rentals for some great photos.

Btw, that 'castle' I mentioned is a fort now that I think about it.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2011, 02:42:10 pm »
I got my scuba license in the Cayman's after about 45 minutes in the pool and a 50 foot wall/shelf dive.  It think it was $75 for a half day of lessons/diving.

Not saying it was the safest thing, but things are just a little down there...

define "got my scuba license".  i doubt it's PADI or any other recognized organization - those take a week of classes to earn.
<sig>

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2011, 02:46:08 pm »
^ Pretty sure it's just some sort of 'resort' license. The very lowest and most basic you can get designed for those particular types of resorts. I use to know but can't remember exactly but it doesn't really carry outside of that visit from what I understand.

vansmack

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2011, 02:51:39 pm »
define "got my scuba license".  i doubt it's PADI or any other recognized organization - those take a week of classes to earn.

Take your "rich world" organization and shove it.  This was vacation... 

My "license" works anywhere PADI is not recognized, which is just about everywhere besides the US, Canada, the UK, Australia, Japan and Switzerland.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2011, 03:08:45 pm »
My "license" works anywhere PADI is not recognized

aka places where you don't need a license in the first place ;D

who cares what i think?  you went scuba diving!  one of the greatest things in the world, IMO.  damn, now i wish my summer vacation could be somewhere where scuba'ing is an opton.  dammit.
<sig>

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2011, 03:20:57 pm »
and i'm supposed to be going to puerto rico in a couple weeks but thus far have managed to make no arrangements whatsoever. a couple days in san juan and then i guess i'll tool around the rest of the island. any rec's from anyone? i dont know how to scuba, windsurf or kitesurf so that's off the table and i'll be going alone.

el yunque is an easy day trip, great hiking trails ... if you have a couple of days, i would highly recommend taking a puddle-hopper or ferry to vieques or culebra, small islands off the east coast

also great sport fishing, but you'd need to find a group to have it make financial sense
(o|o)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2011, 03:54:10 pm »
was the first one pity sex?  ;D

Hell, I was lucky to get my wife to have sex with me once. Twice? not a chance.

(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2023, 12:09:19 pm »
I can’t believe I am finally in Long Island….never been here…we are in central Islip

Got to say weather is gorgeous

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2023, 12:47:11 pm »
I can’t believe I am finally in Long Island….never been here…we are in central Islip

Sidehatch came into this world via a hospital in West Islip… have you visited the monument yet
slack

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2023, 01:30:57 pm »

Sidehatch came into this world via a hospital in West Islip… have you visited the monument yet
TAN (SIDEnote??) -- we need to come up for a separate word for "monument" for structures built to commemorate ignoble events. We shouldn't use the same word the Flight 93 "monument" as we do the Washington Monument.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2023, 01:37:37 pm »
Denonuement?

A portmanteau of denouement and monument.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2023, 01:53:27 pm »
Denonuement?

A portmanteau of denouement and monument.
Thats pretty damn good!! I have no idea how it should be pronounced but A+ for effort.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2023, 02:18:41 pm »
I'd guess  day-non-yu-ment

hutch

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2023, 03:52:19 pm »

Yea we discussed Sidehatch…