Author Topic: Old curmudgeon'y complaining  (Read 5563 times)

monsterzero

Old curmudgeon'y complaining
« on: June 09, 2011, 11:48:11 am »
Ok, I am new to this forum...good forum...just finished reading a thread about rich whiney hipsters in DC (one of my all-time favorite things to hate), and then a thread with pictures of cute things, and then I posted my first post, which was telling someone who was looking for Matt & Kim tickets about the massive crush I used to have on Kim when we were at Pratt. So hot.

So anyway, I've never been to the 9:30 club, but was googling to find a video of a Dodos song to send to my GF, and happened upon the information that they're playing this Sunday. Tickets are a mere 18 bucks, which is lovely for me, since we're completely dead broke and trying to save. I go to ticketfly to buy the tickets, and there's a $4.75 "service fee" for each ticket, plus a $4.00 "order processing" charge. Nearly the cost of a third ticket. First of all, that's some sheisty stuff, and secondly, can I presume that all this extra money is charged (instead of rolled into the cost of the ticket) so that its some chunk of revenue that the company doesn't have to share with the band? I can't imagine that any venue or ticket retailer is benevolent enough to give the full face-value of the ticket to the band, and these fees are the only revenue that the venue/ticket sellers make. Is that the case? If so, I'll buy the tickets right now...but I imagine that there are a lot of hands in that jar aside from just the band, and then on top of it, these places are charging more money separately. Its not that I'm SO broke that I can't afford the fees, its just bullski. And disappointing.

Don't get me wrong, I go to a couple dozen O's games a year, I know all about all the b.s. fees that places like ticketmonster and others tack onto the price of things...its just...disappointing. Greed, greed, greed.

I know it does not cost $4.75 to enter one line of information into their database to record the sale, and it does not cost $4.00 to print a tiny piece of cardboard with a barcode (do 9:30 club tickets have barcodes?), and so I'm not going, because I'm cranky and because if restaurants started charging a $6.00 "napkin fee" and a $5.00 "ice processing" fee, I would tell them to go piss up a rope, a la Ween. And yeah, I know, I pay $20 for a $13 steak, and blah blah...I can't imagine that for every two tickets sold ($13.50 in fees for buying two tickets), that the hundreds of dollars (thousands?) generated in fees is not excessive for the fact that I'm not dealing with a customer service rep that needs to be paid $12/hour, and the 9:30 club isn't paying $400/hour in electricity, and...its just greed.

Flame away as you may feel necessary. Its just a shame, that talented artists that are trying to make a living, are going to lose out on however much of the $36 would have gone to them for gas money or a late night snack, because of the greed of the venue and ticket-sellers. Instead, I'll be spending $36 on whatever of their merch I can find, and hope that they get a good cut of it...unless there's a $7.00 "cotton storage" fee for buying a tee shirt...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 11:51:01 am by monsterzero »

ggw

Re: Old curmudgeon'y complaining
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 11:50:26 am »
You can go to the club and buy tickets in-person for only a $1 fee (or is it $2 now?).

monsterzero

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 11:53:27 am »
Woah. Really?

(Not sarcasm)

Redemption!

I wonder if they'd be sold out if I walked up on Sunday afternoon.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 12:00:09 pm »
I doubt it.

I wonder if they'd be sold out if I walked up on Sunday afternoon.
(_|_)

walkonby

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 12:03:39 pm »
you see, people like me who live in the outer zones . . . must use these ticket sites and pay their fees, because it is cheaper than driving to the venue's box office, and never ever wait until the show to walk up to box office expecting there to be tickets left, plus ticket sites rerelease tickets close to show dates, giving you chance to get great seats if you were shut out before.  i like that.  i like ticket sites.  i'll pay their fees because i think the ends justify the costs.

plus . . . you did a correct thing by viewing my cute picture thread.

and i was positive, this thread was going to be about my bitchfest as of late.  i blame a mid life crisis that premature ejaculated. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:06:24 pm by walkonby »

monsterzero

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 12:04:02 pm »
Is their ticket office open daily?

Should I be researching this on this very website myself, instead of lazily asking others?

GF is taking the day off and driving down to DC tomorrow to hang out with her friend...wonder if she could go over in the early afternoon and buy tickets then, on-site.

monsterzero

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 12:06:00 pm »

plus . . . you did a correct thing by viewing my cute picture thread.

Ha ha. Superb.

Yeah I'm in Baltimore, and for anything around here I try to do will-call or in-person, but I know when (for instance, going to DC) there are times that its worth biting the bullet...not sure why I balked so hard at this incident? Just, frustrating more than usual, for some reason.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 12:06:50 pm »
there is a Dodos show in Baltimore.......hold on......lemme check.....
(_|_)

monsterzero

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 12:11:26 pm »
there is a Dodos show in Baltimore.......hold on......lemme check.....

I couldn't find anything closer than DC or Phila...I'll mail you a solid-gold nickel if you can find a Balmur show...

James Ford

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 12:13:48 pm »
You laugh at hipsters and like Matt and Kim?

Vas Deferens

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 12:15:07 pm »
Baltimore show is not til September 11 at Sonar, on sale June 16
(_|_)

monsterzero

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 12:19:31 pm »
You laugh at hipsters and like Matt and Kim?

If you read my comment (in the "looking for tix" or whatever that area is called), I noted that I still have yet to even hear one of their songs. I went to college with Kim, she was a year ahead of me, and I was totally obsessed with her. She was always smiling, and always incredibly friendly with everyone.

Anyway, I could very well love their music- I didn't say I have no contradictory aspects about me =)  I listen to plenty of what-could-be-described-as hipster music. I just love hating on the affluent-by-way-of-birth, self-entitled, hipper-than-thou DC crowd (hipsters or not), bastions of gentrification and faux-soul. Per the title, I'm an old curmudgeon. I'm probably some kind of hipster myself with relativity to something or other.

monsterzero

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 12:20:32 pm »
Vas Deferens, I owe you a tug, and a solid-gold nickel.

Thanks man! I'm going to this. Maybe I'll go walk-up to the show down there on Sunday too. This is superb though. Really, thanks =)

ggw

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 12:28:00 pm »
Box office open 12-7pm daily.

eddie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 12:38:02 pm »
Actually the box office is open 12 - 7 Monday - Friday (and stays open until 11 if there is a show).  Saturday and Sunday the box office opens one hour before doors open.