Author Topic: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS  (Read 440713 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS
« Reply #225 on: July 30, 2012, 01:06:29 pm »
I was excited to see the Nats have the best record in baseball and then I saw Cincinnati's. 10 in a row?! Good lord. Insane game esterday! I only watched the first 4 or 5 innings though, when I left my house it was 5-2 and I kept checking on my phone and I saw it again when it was tied at 7. Wish I could havew watched it. Trying to make it to the Park this week for the Phillies series. Godless bastards.
‼‼?‼‼

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #226 on: August 07, 2012, 01:06:39 pm »
trades can happen after the deadline, players just have to clear waivers first - I think we'll add some middle infield depth, but nothing that couldn't happen after the deadline.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/aug/6/shortstop-cesar-izturis-claimed-waivers-nationals/
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #227 on: August 07, 2012, 01:36:02 pm »
cesar-izturis

You're welcome.  Would have probably cost you more than simply picking up his salary, if he was designated at all, had the Halo's not given up Jean Segura in the Greinke deal.  Looking forward to watching Segura play daily, almost as much as Fullerton alum Suzuki catching that staff.

BTW - why aren't the Nationals doing with Strasburg what the White Sox are doing with Chris Sale?
27>34

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #228 on: August 07, 2012, 01:46:45 pm »
Is it becuase he didn't have TJ surgery? And the Sox dealt with this situation a year ago as well? I actually don't know much about the Sale situation.
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #229 on: August 07, 2012, 02:11:04 pm »
Is it becuase he didn't have TJ surgery? And the Sox dealt with this situation a year ago as well? I actually don't know much about the Sale situation.

In his first full season now, he came to them with elbow soreness in mid-late May.  They devised a plan to limit his innings and give him extra time off between starts in July and up through mid-August.  For example, they gave him 12 days off in the beginning of July and gave him 9 days off until last night because of an off day.  They're doing it once again, maybe twice if they can, throughout August.

Seems to make sense.
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #230 on: August 08, 2012, 12:20:57 am »
Shark week in Houston.
(o|o)

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #231 on: August 08, 2012, 02:07:40 am »
that catch was ridiculous.

its a damn shame roger cant get more playing time.

HoyaSaxa03

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 08:13:30 am by HoyaSaxa03 »
(o|o)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #233 on: August 08, 2012, 09:24:31 am »

In his first full season now, he came to them with elbow soreness in mid-late May.  They devised a plan to limit his innings and give him extra time off between starts in July and up through mid-August.  For example, they gave him 12 days off in the beginning of July and gave him 9 days off until last night because of an off day.  They're doing it once again, maybe twice if they can, throughout August.

Seems to make sense.
Rizzo has said they don't want him to get cold, I think they're more focused on him getting used to pitching his 5-7 innings on a regular rotation than actually pushing him farther into the season and post season. I think the team can survive without him and they're ahead of schedule, they were hoping to just get their first winning season this year.... I do think it would be a shame, but I'd like to see him protected for the future as welll..
‼‼?‼‼

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #234 on: August 08, 2012, 12:59:34 pm »
that catch was ridiculous.

its a damn shame roger cant get more playing time.
I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer and turned off the tv after top of 12th and listened on the radio so I had to watch the replay today.  Covered a lot of ground very quickly to get to that ball.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #235 on: August 08, 2012, 01:06:51 pm »
I clocked out in the 8th, I was beat and stayed up late the night before watching the extra innings. Also caught the replay earlier, awesome catch. I just hope we smash them, I hate these close calls!

Anyone know if Werth is gonna be in the line-up tonight?
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #236 on: August 08, 2012, 01:39:31 pm »
sharks eat trout:

I'm changing my Facebook cover photo right now!  I just don't know who that guy is...

It's actually 51-49 Trout at the moment, and it's only going to get worse when the west coast wakes up, but that was a great catch.  It's not even a close vote if that stupid f'in column isn't there between between the bullpens - the designers of that stadium really need to never design a stadium again. 
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #237 on: August 08, 2012, 01:56:07 pm »
From Buster Olney his morning:

One executive joked recently that there is not a more inevitable offseason connection than the Nationals and center fielder Michael Bourn, who is eligible for free agency in the fall. "Can we just put that one in the books now?" he said, noting all the factors in play. They are:

1. The Nationals need a center fielder, and Bourn is a former Gold Glove winner whose performance this year is charting very well. His UZR/150 rating is the best among those at his position, according to FanGraphs.

2. Bourn, 29, is at the peak of his career as a hitter, and his .756 OPS this season is his second-best. Bourn ranks sixth in the majors in runs scored, and of course, all of his damage has been done as a leadoff hitter. Washington's leadoff hitters ranks 19th in OPS this year.

3. And Bourn is represented by Scott Boras -- and there are a whole lot of Nationals represented by Boras, from Stephen Strasburg to Bryce Harper to Jayson Werth to others.

But another rival official noted all the money that the Phillies have freed from their payroll, with the trades of Hunter Pence, Shane Victorino and Joe Blanton. "You know who they want, right?" the official asked. "They love Michael Bourn."

He was drafted and developed by the Phillies, of course, as a fourth-round pick in 2003, and the Phillies know all about his gregarious personality, and that he has a grinder's mentality. For years, manager Charlie Manuel has tried to settle on a leadoff hitter; sometimes he has used Jimmy Rollins, sometimes Shane Victorino.

If the Phillies make a strong push for Bourn, it's unclear whether they would be willing to outbid the Nationals. Washington opened this season with a payroll of $92 million, and if its wealthy ownership is willing, it has a lot of room to grow under the luxury-tax cap. Bourn figures to get a multiyear deal for something in the range of $16 million to $22 million annually, and as has been well-documented over the last six weeks, the Phillies already have a lot of payroll obligations well into the future, with $20 million-plus commitments to Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels and Ryan Howard on the books. The Phillies also will have to find a third baseman, a starting pitcher and at least one outfielder, depending on their internal evaluations of Domonic Brown and John Mayberry Jr.

Josh Hamilton will be the most dynamic free agent outfielder this fall, albeit with a lot of questions about how much he can be counted on. But Bourn might be in the best leverage position of all the outfielders if, in fact, the Nationals and Phillies -- division rivals -- focus on luring him away from another division rival, the Braves.
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #238 on: August 08, 2012, 02:10:38 pm »
From Buster Olney his morning:

One executive joked recently that there is not a more inevitable offseason connection than the Nationals and center fielder Michael Bourn, who is eligible for free agency in the fall. "Can we just put that one in the books now?" he said, noting all the factors in play. They are:

1. The Nationals need a center fielder, and Bourn is a former Gold Glove winner whose performance this year is charting very well. His UZR/150 rating is the best among those at his position, according to FanGraphs.

2. Bourn, 29, is at the peak of his career as a hitter, and his .756 OPS this season is his second-best. Bourn ranks sixth in the majors in runs scored, and of course, all of his damage has been done as a leadoff hitter. Washington's leadoff hitters ranks 19th in OPS this year.

3. And Bourn is represented by Scott Boras -- and there are a whole lot of Nationals represented by Boras, from Stephen Strasburg to Bryce Harper to Jayson Werth to others.

But another rival official noted all the money that the Phillies have freed from their payroll, with the trades of Hunter Pence, Shane Victorino and Joe Blanton. "You know who they want, right?" the official asked. "They love Michael Bourn."

He was drafted and developed by the Phillies, of course, as a fourth-round pick in 2003, and the Phillies know all about his gregarious personality, and that he has a grinder's mentality. For years, manager Charlie Manuel has tried to settle on a leadoff hitter; sometimes he has used Jimmy Rollins, sometimes Shane Victorino.

If the Phillies make a strong push for Bourn, it's unclear whether they would be willing to outbid the Nationals. Washington opened this season with a payroll of $92 million, and if its wealthy ownership is willing, it has a lot of room to grow under the luxury-tax cap. Bourn figures to get a multiyear deal for something in the range of $16 million to $22 million annually, and as has been well-documented over the last six weeks, the Phillies already have a lot of payroll obligations well into the future, with $20 million-plus commitments to Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels and Ryan Howard on the books. The Phillies also will have to find a third baseman, a starting pitcher and at least one outfielder, depending on their internal evaluations of Domonic Brown and John Mayberry Jr.

Josh Hamilton will be the most dynamic free agent outfielder this fall, albeit with a lot of questions about how much he can be counted on. But Bourn might be in the best leverage position of all the outfielders if, in fact, the Nationals and Phillies -- division rivals -- focus on luring him away from another division rival, the Braves.
thumbs up to you for posting that.  thx.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #239 on: August 08, 2012, 02:17:47 pm »
I'm getting really bored with the "WE NEED A CENTER FIELDER" story line of the last 3 years or so.  Sign LaRoche to a long-term deal, keep Morse in LF and we're done.  Still need a leadoff guy though.
(o|o)