Author Topic: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS  (Read 440720 times)

stevewizzle

Re: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS
« Reply #285 on: September 02, 2012, 12:22:25 pm »
I am tempted to write: Edwin Jackson is a pitcher, based on what I've seen, that does not have the make up to be a big game/ playoff pitcher. Of course  could be wrong but I would not want to see him in a key playoff game.

Since I really haven't seen that much of him I hope for the best should the Nats get to a big game!

he's our #4 starter.  expectations for a #4 starter are usually along the lines of 'get us some innings, and keep us in the game'.  in that aspect, edwin has been phenomenal.  your putting top of the rotation expections on a guy that isn't a top of the rotation guy.

and his numbers are fantastic.  whip, k/bb, era+ are way above the league average for #4 starters. he's arguably the best #4 starter in the league.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 12:25:18 pm by stevewizzle »

James Ford

« Reply #286 on: September 02, 2012, 01:18:50 pm »
"We're" paying him $11,000,000 for 2012. That's nearly $400,000 per start. I hope management expects more from him than you do. Oh wait, he can pinch run, guess that makes him worth every penny.

(
I am tempted to write: Edwin Jackson is a pitcher, based on what I've seen, that does not have the make up to be a big game/ playoff pitcher. Of course  could be wrong but I would not want to see him in a key playoff game.

Since I really haven't seen that much of him I hope for the best should the Nats get to a big game!

he's our #4 starter.  expectations for a #4 starter are usually along the lines of 'get us some innings, and keep us in the game'.  in that aspect, edwin has been phenomenal.  your putting top of the rotation expections on a guy that isn't a top of the rotation guy.

and his numbers are fantastic.  whip, k/bb, era+ are way above the league average for #4 starters. he's arguably the best #4 starter in the league.

stevewizzle

« Reply #287 on: September 02, 2012, 02:00:25 pm »
"We're" paying him $11,000,000 for 2012. That's nearly $400,000 per start. I hope management expects more from him than you do. Oh wait, he can pinch run, guess that makes him worth every penny.

(

come on man, do you even follow baseball?  lets just name a few pitchers who are making comparable money, most in multi-year deals...

john lackey - $16M
brett myers - $11M
daisuke matsuzaka - $10M
ted lilly - $10M
carl pavano - $9M
derek lowe - $15M
randy wolf - $9.5M

want to swap out for any of those terrible contracts? a one year "rental" at $11M for a solid #4 does NOT warrant complaints. he was a post-season pitcher for the world series champions, doesn't miss starts, he's currently 8th in the NL w/ a .230 BAA, WHIP is 1.16, K/bb ratio is 2.84, he's having the 2nd best season of his career, and the little i've heard about him in the clubhouse is all positive.

so as far as managements expectations being higher than mine... i'm sure they are more than thrilled with the investment they made for their #4 starter.

James Ford

« Reply #288 on: September 02, 2012, 03:10:07 pm »
Was he the #4 pitcher for the Cards last year?

(

come on man, do you even follow baseball?  lets just name a few pitchers who are making comparable money, most in multi-year deals...

john lackey - $16M
brett myers - $11M
daisuke matsuzaka - $10M
ted lilly - $10M
carl pavano - $9M
derek lowe - $15M
randy wolf - $9.5M

want to swap out for any of those terrible contracts? a one year "rental" at $11M for a solid #4 does NOT warrant complaints. he was a post-season pitcher for the world series champions, doesn't miss starts, he's currently 8th in the NL w/ a .230 BAA, WHIP is 1.16, K/bb ratio is 2.84, he's having the 2nd best season of his career, and the little i've heard about him in the clubhouse is all positive.

so as far as managements expectations being higher than mine... i'm sure they are more than thrilled with the investment they made for their #4 starter.

stevewizzle

« Reply #289 on: September 03, 2012, 11:07:09 am »
Was he the #4 pitcher for the Cards last year?

yes

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #290 on: September 04, 2012, 09:29:59 am »
Way too many Cards fans at the game today, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. St. Loser is one of America's genuine dumpster fires.
I went on Friday and I hardly ran into any, I did notice that there was chanting on the Fox boradcast of "Lets go Cardinals" and then the Nats faithful responding with weak "boos". But Friday was awesome because we smashed them 10-0 and Gio pitched a complete game. Very fun. THe Cards fans behind us were very of their disapproval so I began to point and laugh everytime they showed replays on the screen above us. They left early. ahahahaha losers.
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #291 on: September 04, 2012, 02:01:10 pm »
a one year "rental" at $11M for a solid #4 does NOT warrant complaints.

The Wiz is wise on this one.  And so is Scott Boras.  Someone will overpay for him next year with a long term deal (don't let that be you), but the Nat's got a great deal and if he can be a solid #3 in he playoffs, both player and team will be happy with the one year deal.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #292 on: September 05, 2012, 09:40:45 pm »
the bats are on fire

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #293 on: September 06, 2012, 09:30:08 am »
Someone on the radio asked if they were juicing, isn't everyone producing at kind of their same rate? I think Ian Desmond is the only one who's really stepped up his production. Good to see the offense exploding at once. Averaging around 7 runs a game since their losing streak? Insanity.
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #294 on: September 06, 2012, 10:32:53 pm »
stil on fire

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #295 on: September 06, 2012, 11:25:59 pm »
quite a game tonight  :D

baseball fights are the best.

the "stop trying to score when you're already ahead" thing is bullshit.

davey is the man.

i know it was the cubs, but what a series for the bats. good to see bryce heating up.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #296 on: September 07, 2012, 10:00:33 am »
(o|o)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #297 on: September 07, 2012, 10:10:19 am »

the "stop trying to score when you're already ahead" thing is bullshit.

Seriously.  They were only up by 5 runs and there were still...what... 3.5 innings left?   We've blown leads nearly twice that big in just a couple innings.    The Nats aren't going to quit playing just because you suck.  This isn't Little League.

stevewizzle

« Reply #298 on: September 07, 2012, 10:13:02 am »
there's something incredibly awesome about watching a 19-year old playing baseball totally fearless and borderline wreckless as Harper did last night.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #299 on: September 07, 2012, 10:19:40 am »
there's something incredibly awesome about watching a 19-year old playing baseball totally fearless and borderline wreckless as Harper did last night.

if he's on the bases too long you can see him just itching to get home, most exciting player i've seen in a long time.  i love the Federal Baseball tag-line for him in the lineup card:

1. The WereWerth - RF

2. Run-Until-He's-Tagged, Tape-Measure-Testing, Laser-Throwing, Eyeblack-Oozing Baseball Cyborg" (aka Bryce Harper) - CF

3. THE KIDS CALL HIM ZIM!! - 3B (Word.)

4. Adam "Graceful, Effortless" LaRoche - 1B

5. The People's Champion Michael Morse - LF

6. Ian "+Range, +Arm" Desmond - SS

7. "Left Side" Danny Espinosa - 2B

8. Kurt "Suzy" Suzuki - C

9. Jordan "DeadEyez" Zimmermann - RHP
(o|o)