Author Topic: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS  (Read 440599 times)

hutch

Re: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS
« Reply #405 on: October 10, 2012, 04:27:40 pm »
Outscored 20-4 the last 2 games.  Ouch.  If only they had a reliable #1 ace they could have used in this series.......

was Strasburg reliable at the end?

James Ford

« Reply #406 on: October 10, 2012, 04:31:02 pm »
But the pitchers you list are anomalies. The average salary for a starting pitcher is 4.9 million. The average ERA for starting pitchers in the NL this year was 4.01. Jackson's ERA was 4.03. For 11 million, I'd expect more.

"We're" paying him $11,000,000 for 2012. That's nearly $400,000 per start. I hope management expects more from him than you do. Oh wait, he can pinch run, guess that makes him worth every penny.

(
I am tempted to write: Edwin Jackson is a pitcher, based on what I've seen, that does not have the make up to be a big game/ playoff pitcher. Of course  could be wrong but I would not want to see him in a key playoff game.

Since I really haven't seen that much of him I hope for the best should the Nats get to a big game!

he's our #4 starter.  expectations for a #4 starter are usually along the lines of 'get us some innings, and keep us in the game'.  in that aspect, edwin has been phenomenal.  your putting top of the rotation expections on a guy that isn't a top of the rotation guy.

and his numbers are fantastic.  whip, k/bb, era+ are way above the league average for #4 starters. he's arguably the best #4 starter in the league.

come on man, do you even follow baseball?  lets just name a few pitchers who are making comparable money, most in multi-year deals...

john lackey - $16M
brett myers - $11M
daisuke matsuzaka - $10M
ted lilly - $10M
carl pavano - $9M
derek lowe - $15M
randy wolf - $9.5M

want to swap out for any of those terrible contracts? a one year "rental" at $11M for a solid #4 does NOT warrant complaints. he was a post-season pitcher for the world series champions, doesn't miss starts, he's currently 8th in the NL w/ a .230 BAA, WHIP is 1.16, K/bb ratio is 2.84, he's having the 2nd best season of his career, and the little i've heard about him in the clubhouse is all positive.

so as far as managements expectations being higher than mine... i'm sure they are more than thrilled with the investment they made for their #4 starter.

blatantly trolling, James.

since you omitted the response which demonstrated your complete lack of understanding of what starting pitches get paid, the stipulations surrounding edwin's contract, the expectations for edwin, and other statistics slightly more solid than W/L and ERA (Zimmerman's win-loss records sucks, too), i decided to re-hash it.

that said... sucks to see such an early deficit. 

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #407 on: October 10, 2012, 04:34:16 pm »
Outscored 20-4 the last 2 games.  Ouch.  If only they had a reliable #1 ace they could have used in this series.......
22-7 in the series

WEEEE! I can't wait to see all the bandwagon fans jumping off in droves and screaming "Fucking Nats! Fucking DC teams!"

Yayayayayay
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #408 on: October 10, 2012, 04:41:25 pm »
oh come on..w e can do this

all we have to do is win game 4... we won 98 games this year.. we can win ONE game.

think only about game 4.

speaking of game 4 who is pitching?

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #409 on: October 10, 2012, 04:44:20 pm »
detwiler

its a shame the strasburg shutdown thing will come back in full force (costas sure wouldnt shut the hell up about it today) because no pitcher in baseball could have won these games where the nats do nothing on offense.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #410 on: October 10, 2012, 04:46:22 pm »
Insanely frustrating sitting here seeing Desi and Werth get on base and seeing Bryce and Danny just whiff constantly. I hope this doesn't get into their heads. If this is how they performed in the "most important game of the year" how the hell are they going to perform tomorrow?!

All of the wounded DC fan inside me is starting to seep out... hard...
‼‼?‼‼

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #411 on: October 10, 2012, 04:48:12 pm »
honestly, i think if strasburg had pitched in this series, he would have been roughed up just like gio and zimmermann. the cardinals just ooze playoff experience on both sides of the game, and its showed.

hutch

« Reply #412 on: October 10, 2012, 04:58:29 pm »
honestly, i think if strasburg had pitched in this series, he would have been roughed up just like gio and zimmermann. the cardinals just ooze playoff experience on both sides of the game, and its showed.

he was being roughed up when they shut him down.. i honestly think if they had kept him pitching it might have been bad for his arm.  he got shelled two of his last three starts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8562/gamelog;_ylt=AhKHUNBOLoTvDkC5VDqIP5yFCLcF

its just an easy storyline for people to use... that is all.

shemptiness

« Reply #413 on: October 10, 2012, 05:36:30 pm »
detwiler

its a shame the strasburg shutdown thing will come back in full force (costas sure wouldnt shut the hell up about it today) because no pitcher in baseball could have won these games where the nats do nothing on offense.

According to Ken Rosenthal the Nats players are talking about it.

?Sorry, it?s time to utter the S word,? he wrote. ?Heck, some of the Washington Nationals? players are saying it, with very little prompting. ?If we had ?Stras, we?d be up 2-0,? one player told me Tuesday.?

stevewizzle

« Reply #414 on: October 10, 2012, 05:44:47 pm »
But the pitchers you list are anomalies. The average salary for a starting pitcher is 4.9 million. The average ERA for starting pitchers in the NL this year was 4.01. Jackson's ERA was 4.03. For 11 million, I'd expect more.

young pitchers make less and skew the average. zimmermann, latos, medlen, hellickson, etc. all make well below the league average of 4.9M.  

veteran SPs make more. they've proven they are reliable. they demand long-term contracts.  edwin got a 1-year deal.

it's just the way it works.  i suggest being frustrated about our offense, harper's no-show, zimmermanns atrocious start, gio's 7 walks, or something that remotely matters.

stevewizzle

« Reply #415 on: October 10, 2012, 06:35:10 pm »
Detwiler's worst outing of the year came against StL - last game he pitched.

Lohse's worst outing of the year came agains the Nat's. we saw him twice in September, and got to him both times.

vansmack

« Reply #416 on: October 10, 2012, 07:40:14 pm »

He does have one home run this season, which would have been helpful today, but probably not enough.

The Nat's biggest problem isn't pitching, it's 2.3 runs per game.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #417 on: October 10, 2012, 07:45:11 pm »

He does have one home run this season, which would have been helpful today, but probably not enough.

The Nat's biggest problem isn't pitching, it's 2.3 runs per game.

I hear you but in the playoffs its tough to win a game when you give up 8 runs... or 12 or however many it was in the second game..

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #418 on: October 11, 2012, 09:12:19 am »

Lohse's worst outing of the year came agains the Nat's. we saw him twice in September, and got to him both times.
I hope so. Stranding as many runners as we have can only happen for so long... The bats have to wake up, especially if the pitching isn't pulling it's weight. Wish the game got pushed back to 5. Excited though!

Anyone headed out? You can buy standing room tickets via the Nats site!

EDIT: Apparently a National GM said this "I don't care who wins the World Series as long as it's not them. I hope it takes them another 79 years to make it back to the playoffs. They don't deserve to win."

Fucking insane. I wonder who said it... http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/nationals/2012/10/10/nationals-despised-by-some-baseball-executives/1625975/
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:49:44 am by DeathFromAbove1979 »
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #419 on: October 11, 2012, 10:10:42 am »

I hope so. Stranding as many runners as we have can only happen for so long... The bats have to wake up, especially if the pitching isn't pulling it's weight. Wish the game got pushed back to 5. Excited though!

Anyone headed out? You can buy standing room tickets via the Nats site!

EDIT: Apparently a National GM said this "I don't care who wins the World Series as long as it's not them. I hope it takes them another 79 years to make it back to the playoffs. They don't deserve to win."

Fucking insane. I wonder who said it... http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/nationals/2012/10/10/nationals-despised-by-some-baseball-executives/1625975/

all that over shutting down stras? come on..there has to be more