Author Topic: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS  (Read 440541 times)

shemptiness

Re: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS
« Reply #1035 on: October 22, 2013, 10:18:47 am »
For what it's worth, my buddy, who's a sports personality, says he'll be all but shocked if the Nat's don't hire Matt Williams. 

Unless Gibson goes to Detroit.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1036 on: October 25, 2013, 09:50:20 am »
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #1037 on: October 25, 2013, 10:12:14 am »
nepotism at its finest..

"hey, he's buddies with the GM!"

that's what counts..

vansmack

« Reply #1038 on: October 25, 2013, 11:32:02 am »
nepotism at its finest..

that's what counts..

I've spent the last 2 years watching a team where the manager and GM don't get along and don't see eye to eye.

They've spent $300 million, are locked into at least $600 million more over the next 4-8 years on 4 players, and finished 6 games under .500 this year.

It's a big damn deal if they get along.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #1039 on: October 25, 2013, 12:35:49 pm »
nepotism at its finest..

that's what counts..

I've spent the last 2 years watching a team where the manager and GM don't get along and don't see eye to eye.

They've spent $300 million, are locked into at least $600 million more over the next 4-8 years on 4 players, and finished 6 games under .500 this year.

of course its necessary they see eye to eye and get along....but hiring people cause they used to be your drinking buddy back in the good old days when you were getting started...

hutch

« Reply #1040 on: October 31, 2013, 01:24:48 pm »
what a hoot!
Rizzo on Matt Williams hiring:
?He is exceptionally prepared for the task. Matt came into the interview process already possessing an extensive knowledge of our organization: our roster, our Minor League system ? and our fan base."

I'm sorry I must be missing something because Williams worked with Arizona... the guys with the extensive knowledge where all passed over..

This hiring was probably decided on about a year ago..

James Ford

« Reply #1041 on: October 31, 2013, 01:26:29 pm »
Do you have something against bald guys too?

what a hoot!
?He is exceptionally prepared for the task. Matt came into the interview process already possessing an extensive knowledge of our organization: our roster, our Minor League system ? and our fan base."

I'm sorry I must be missing something because Williams worked with Arizona... the guys with the extensive knowledge where all passed over..

hutch

« Reply #1042 on: October 31, 2013, 01:28:25 pm »
Do you have something against bald guys too?

what a hoot!

Not sure how I feel about an admitted HGH user on his third marriage at 47...

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #1043 on: October 31, 2013, 02:14:23 pm »
none of those things are relevant to his managing capabilities

i dont doubt that rizzo had his mind more or less made up on this a while ago, but i also dont see why williams is such a bad hire.

hutch

« Reply #1044 on: October 31, 2013, 04:50:01 pm »
none of those things are relevant to his managing capabilities

i dont doubt that rizzo had his mind more or less made up on this a while ago, but i also dont see why williams is such a bad hire.

what makes him a good hire? according to rizzo its his extensive knowledge of the Nats minor league system and fanbase.

this is a joke? he has a better knowledge of the Nats roster, minor leaguers and fanbase than Knorr?

this is pure nepotism... a friendship should get you an interview.. not a job... there is no doubt this was decided a long time ago... and the whole manager search process never existed... now that would be ok if matt williams actually had proven experience but since he doesn't its called nepotism.. rizzo could have found somebody he got along with who had some experience...

whether matt williams ends up being a great coach or a terrible one will not change, in my mind, that the hiring process was shady...

and i ain't going to go rah rah rah everything the Nats organization does, from the usher to the Lerners is great..sorry.. some people think that is what being a fan is about..i don't.

in fact, arguably, i'd feel much better about this hiring if it wasn't motivated by the Rizzo-Williams friendship..then I could say "oh well, he has no managerial experience but they made the hiring mainly on baseball terms as should be the case."

and people who say that character has no relevance I guess think Jim Bowden was a swell GM too? sitting there getting drunk off his ass with his bimbos before getting ready to do some drunk driving....
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 04:52:49 pm by hutch »

stevewizzle

« Reply #1045 on: October 31, 2013, 06:49:02 pm »
nepotism at its finest..

that's what counts..

see: boston red sox 2012 vs. boston red sox 2013

hutch

« Reply #1046 on: October 31, 2013, 08:54:38 pm »
nepotism at its finest..

that's what counts..

see: boston red sox 2012 vs. boston red sox 2013

i assume you're saying farrell DID know the red sox.. he was pitching coach there for years.. you know, kind of like KNORR, and you know what: Farell DID have big league managerial experience

farrell is a better  argument for hiring knorr  than williams actually..

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #1047 on: October 31, 2013, 11:46:18 pm »
i think i'll let williams do the job before deciding if its a good or bad hire, but im personally leaning towards good cuz, as i said before, i think this team needs an outsider to come in and shake things up a bit.

and knorr's staying around as bench coach, so for at least one year theyll have a combo of williams' fresh blood and knorr's knowledge of the nats players. seems like the best of both worlds to me.

anyway i think youre reading way too much into all the friendship talk. rizzo's certainly got a few blemishes on his record now but if he thinks this guys manager material, im inclined to believe him. from what i gather hes not been the only gm in the game very high on williams as a manager.

hutch

« Reply #1048 on: November 01, 2013, 07:05:35 am »
i think i'll let williams do the job before deciding if its a good or bad hire, but im personally leaning towards good cuz, as i said before, i think this team needs an outsider to come in and shake things up a bit.

and knorr's staying around as bench coach, so for at least one year theyll have a combo of williams' fresh blood and knorr's knowledge of the nats players. seems like the best of both worlds to me.

anyway i think youre reading way too much into all the friendship talk. rizzo's certainly got a few blemishes on his record now but if he thinks this guys manager material, im inclined to believe him. from what i gather hes not been the only gm in the game very high on williams as a manager.

no doubt he could turn out to be a good hire...

vansmack

« Reply #1049 on: November 04, 2013, 09:49:28 pm »
No qualifying offer for Haren.  Smart move as you'd likely end up paying him one year, $14m.
27>34