Author Topic: When reality reflects The Onion (redux)  (Read 599843 times)

Rogue Riderhood

Re: When reality reflects The Onion (redux)
« Reply #330 on: September 10, 2014, 05:17:09 pm »
http://www.avclub.com/article/cornered-justin-bieber-responds-booing-crowd-takin-209068
"Cornered Justin Bieber responds to booing crowd by taking off clothes"

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #331 on: September 12, 2014, 04:26:45 pm »
http://news.kron4.com/news/teen-could-get-two-years-for-facebook-photos-with-jesus-statue/
EVERETT, Pennsylvania (KRON) ? A Pennsylvania teenager is facing criminal charges after posting pictures to Facebook of him simulating a sex act with a statue of Jesus.

The young man posted that he took the pictures in late July at the statue of a kneeling Jesus in front of the ?Love in the Name of Christ? Christian organization in his hometown of Everett.

The criminal charge, which will be heard in family court, consists of ?Desecration of a Venerated Object.?

Pennsylvania law defines desecration as ?Defacing, damaging, polluting or otherwise, physically mistreating in a way that the actor knows will outrage the sensibilities of persons likely to observe or discover the action.?

The teen, whose name has not been released, could face up to two years in a juvenile jail if convicted.

(Copyright 2014, KRON 4, All rights reserved.)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #332 on: September 12, 2014, 04:45:04 pm »
http://news.kron4.com/news/teen-could-get-two-years-for-facebook-photos-with-jesus-statue/
EVERETT, Pennsylvania (KRON) ? A Pennsylvania teenager is facing criminal charges after posting pictures to Facebook of him simulating a sex act with a statue of Jesus.

i wondered about the constitutionality of such prosecution (first amendment, anyone?) so i started googling around and came across the following bit of legalistic musing on WaPo:

?Desecration ? of venerated objects?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/09/12/desecration-of-venerated-objects/

sounds like a law profession assigning homework to his class.  what really caught my eye was the closing line of the article:

[This sentence constitutes the obligatory statuary rape joke.]

WTF?!?
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #333 on: September 12, 2014, 10:57:57 pm »
You, Wondered?

vansmack

« Reply #334 on: September 14, 2014, 03:37:31 pm »
27>34

James Ford

« Reply #335 on: September 14, 2014, 04:56:46 pm »

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #336 on: September 15, 2014, 12:03:58 pm »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #337 on: September 15, 2014, 12:20:21 pm »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/09/15/urban-outfitters-red-stained-vintage-kent-state-sweatshirt-is-not-a-smart-look-this-fall/
Urban Outfitters apologizes for its blood-red-stained Kent State sweatshirt

CYA - Cover Your Ass

Does anyone in the target demographic for Urban Outfitters even know about what happened at Kent State? This would be edgy... thirty years ago.
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #338 on: September 18, 2014, 12:37:08 pm »
U2 and Apple working on "Secret Project" to save the music industry
T.Rex

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #339 on: September 18, 2014, 12:40:31 pm »
LOL
"The point isn't just to help U2 but less well known artists and others in the industry who can't make money, as U2 does, from live performance. 'Songwriters aren't touring people,' says Bono. 'Cole Porter wouldn't have sold T-shirts. Cole Porter wasn't coming to a stadium near you.'"

« Reply #340 on: September 18, 2014, 12:41:21 pm »
U2 and Apple working on "Secret Project" to save the music industry
I have the scoop: its the iGlasses. Apple's version of Google Glass that automatically runs all guitar sounds through shitty effects pedals and poorly translates lyrics into Portuguese. Unlike Google Glass, they're permanently welded to your head so people know what a douche you are 24/7.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:45:27 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #342 on: September 18, 2014, 01:01:10 pm »
Bono's sentiment is a breath of fresh air compared to usual tech writers BS that all music should be free because all musicians make their touring and via t-Shirt sales.  There is no easy fix and Bono needs to take off the rose colored glasses.
T.Rex

« Reply #343 on: September 18, 2014, 01:06:17 pm »
Bono's sentiment is a breath of fresh air compared to usual tech writers BS that all music should be free because all musicians make their touring and via t-Shirt sales. 
I agree with that completely but its obnoxious coming from a guy whose band makes half a billion per tour. I wish the Future Islands, and Death Cab For Cuties, and Waxahatchees had the courage to step up and talk about how music is damaged by file sharing and how it literally takes food out of their mouths.

But coming from Bono its just a total wank. Its like John Lennon singing "imagine no possessions," a song he wrote in his NYC penthouse that was retrofitted with a walk-in humidor for his fur coats. Its totally the wrong messenger.
LVMH