Author Topic: When reality reflects The Onion (redux)  (Read 600277 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: When reality reflects The Onion (redux)
« Reply #375 on: October 25, 2014, 12:38:14 am »
Man Calls a Suicide Prevention Hotline, SWAT Team Shows Up and Kills Him
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/call-suicide-prevention-hotline-killed-swat-team/

(still not sure how legit & impartial this site is... but it's a good story, bro)
<sig>

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #376 on: October 25, 2014, 01:01:30 pm »
Man Calls a Suicide Prevention Hotline, SWAT Team Shows Up and Kills Him
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/call-suicide-prevention-hotline-killed-swat-team/

(still not sure how legit & impartial this site is... but it's a good story, bro)

Okay, so if I'm feeling suicidal, don't call the suicide hotline. Got it...  :-\
😐 🎶

« Reply #377 on: October 25, 2014, 09:21:40 pm »
local fox news on the incident
So local news corroborated the story as a suicide by cop ultimately
but it does have a very Onion'esque feel too it
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #378 on: October 25, 2014, 11:57:53 pm »
local fox news on the incident
So local news corroborated the story as a suicide by cop ultimately

"The case is being investigated as a suicide by cop" - they're looking at it that way, but it isn't corroborated.  and it's rather convenient for the cops to claim this...
<sig>

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #379 on: October 26, 2014, 01:30:46 am »
http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/showbiz/2014/10/21/mike-tyson-mysteries-lisas-desk-orig-jtb.cnn.html

Mike Tyson gets a Scooby Doo type show.
"It involves a ghost, a prostitute-loving pigeon and a cartoon version of Tyson himself"

vansmack

27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #382 on: October 30, 2014, 09:44:02 am »
The man who invented the legendary game "Operation" says he can't afford his own operation. Two friends of his heard about this and decided to launch a crowdfunding project to try to help him out.

ggw

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
😐 🎶

hutch

« Reply #385 on: November 03, 2014, 12:32:54 am »
^chutzpah

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #386 on: November 03, 2014, 12:58:45 am »

Washington Redskins File Lawsuit Against Native Americans For Suggesting Team Name Is Offensive

The first 3/4 of that article is 100% irrelevant to the discussion at hand.  The last 1/4 is more opinion and conjecture than anything else.  I don't at all know the underlying legal issues being challenged, but it will be very interesting to see what the court has to say about this and their justification for whatever their decision is.
FUKIT

hutch

« Reply #387 on: November 03, 2014, 10:46:03 am »

Washington Redskins File Lawsuit Against Native Americans For Suggesting Team Name Is Offensive

The first 3/4 of that article is 100% irrelevant to the discussion at hand.  The last 1/4 is more opinion and conjecture than anything else.  I don't at all know the underlying legal issues being challenged, but it will be very interesting to see what the court has to say about this and their justification for whatever their decision is.

Snyder is a dick. No conjecture about that....

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #388 on: November 03, 2014, 02:11:54 pm »

I have no idea who Snyder is.
FUKIT

ggw

« Reply #389 on: November 03, 2014, 02:31:22 pm »

I have no idea who Snyder is.

He's the douchebag that likes to sue people who don't say nice things about him. Not because the not-nice things are not true, but because Snyder has deep pockets and he can saddle his not-as-wealthy opponents with unsustainable expenses defending themselves, thus forcing them to be quiet.  That's why he isn't appealing the court ruling against him but instead taking the very unusual route of going after the five native Americans who initially complained to the Patent Office about the name.  He can threaten to bankrupt them with legal fees.

http://deadspin.com/5838709/dan-snyder-is-suing-washington-city-paper-over-a-story-he-has-never-read

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/07/business/media/07carr.html