Author Topic: When reality reflects The Onion (redux)  (Read 600389 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Re: When reality reflects The Onion (redux)
« Reply #840 on: January 07, 2016, 12:23:20 pm »
From the article: The band?s best-selling record, 1994?s Smash, remains owned by Epitaph Records, but Round Hill Music has reportedly acquired publishing rights to the songs on Smash and the band?s earlier Epitaph albums.
😐 🎶

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #841 on: January 07, 2016, 02:01:39 pm »
Not sure this is Onion Level or Celebrity Scandal or a Country Song....

Kacey Musgrave's car was broken into and her boots were stolen.  Then this happened

Suspect tries to return Kacey Musgraves' boots, gets arrested

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2016/01/07/suspect-tries-return-kacey-musgraves-boots-gets-arrested/78401982/
T.Rex

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #842 on: January 07, 2016, 02:09:29 pm »
Suspect tries to return Kacey Musgraves' boots, gets arrested

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2016/01/07/suspect-tries-return-kacey-musgraves-boots-gets-arrested/78401982/
For clarification: he attempted to return the boots to the store from which they were purchased in hopes of getting the face value, not returning them to Musgraves herself.
LVMH

LVMH

killsaly

« Reply #844 on: January 08, 2016, 02:20:34 pm »
Slightly NSFW at the beginning... This is probably the most absurd thing I have seen this year.  hairy Krishna news, A Burrito Takes over Seattle (by Rappy McRapperson)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CshMEU_pi_c

« Reply #845 on: January 08, 2016, 02:25:31 pm »
hairy Krishna news,
At the Richmond vegetarian festival this summer, I was handed a pamphlet from some Krishna kids (rocking the beads!) entitled "Are You Righteous Enough For The Bhagavad Gita?" I was like, what year is this!?
LVMH

« Reply #846 on: January 08, 2016, 02:27:58 pm »
At the Richmond vegetarian festival
bet that was a rocking good time on par with the GWAR-BQ
slack

« Reply #847 on: January 08, 2016, 02:52:48 pm »
At the Richmond vegetarian festival
bet that was a rocking good time on par with the GWAR-BQ

I did wake up in a ditch overdosed on vegan cheese.

But seriously, its a great event and one of the biggest ones on the East Coast. Great food and a fun day every year.
LVMH

killsaly

« Reply #848 on: January 08, 2016, 02:56:35 pm »
hairy Krishna news,
At the Richmond vegetarian festival this summer, I was handed a pamphlet from some Krishna kids (rocking the beads!) entitled "Are You Righteous Enough For The Bhagavad Gita?" I was like, what year is this!?
Oops, I meant to post this in the YouTube Thread.

vansmack

« Reply #849 on: January 08, 2016, 03:12:39 pm »
That said, I agree with your general point that I don't see how they hope to recoup that much money for it in 2016 onward unless "Keep 'Em Separated" is tailor-made for commercials and I am just missing it.

The plan is this (and it's been going on for a while):  The record companies are going to renegotiate their deals with the streaming companies (most current deals are about 3 years) and the record company revenues are going to increase in the future.  By doing deals like this, they're hedging that by owning both the label and the artists' rights, they'll be able to turn profits by buying cheap "popular" assets that will be played over and over again.

I don't agree with it, but that's the theory.   
27>34

« Reply #850 on: January 08, 2016, 03:16:10 pm »
That said, I agree with your general point that I don't see how they hope to recoup that much money for it in 2016 onward unless "Keep 'Em Separated" is tailor-made for commercials and I am just missing it.

The plan is this (and it's been going on for a while):  The record companies are going to renegotiate their deals with the streaming companies (most current deals are about 3 years) and the record company revenues are going to increase in the future.  By doing deals like this, they're hedging that by owning both the label and the artists' rights, they'll be able to turn profits by buying cheap "popular" assets that will be played over and over again.

I don't agree with it, but that's the theory.   
I can see the ad room now

"we need a new pitch line for this lights and Darks combined Tide"
"yeah mom is always so frustrated with separating all those lights from the darks"
"I know we can use that cheezy pop-punk song from the 90's...who owns the rights to that?"
slack

killsaly

« Reply #851 on: January 08, 2016, 03:24:56 pm »
Police called to McDonald's over claims staff fat-shamed teenage girl for ordering six cheeseburgers
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-called-mcdonalds-over-claims-7138115
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 03:26:58 pm by killsaly »

vansmack

« Reply #852 on: January 08, 2016, 03:28:35 pm »
I can see the ad room now

Dexter Holland is no idiot - I'm sure he handled most of this and the rest just followed.

The conversation probably went like this:

"But Dexter, what if our songs end up on crappy commercials for stuff?"
"I just asked my daughter - she said 'what's a commercial?'..."
"Good point.  Let's do this."
27>34

Relaxer

« Reply #853 on: January 08, 2016, 03:36:59 pm »
Police called to McDonald's over claims staff fat-shamed teenage girl for ordering six cheeseburgers
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-called-mcdonalds-over-claims-7138115

God, this article is really something.
The girl and mother are quoted over and over saying that she wasn't just buying the food for herself, and this is never disputed in the article, which ends with this:

According to their website, one McDonald's cheeseburger contains 301 calories and a regular portion of fries comes in at 337 calories.

This means, if one woman were to consume six cheeseburgers and four portions of fries, they would take in almost 3,500 calories - 1,500 calories more than the recommended daily amount.

They would also consume twice the recommended amount of fat and more than twice the recommended amount of salt.
oword

killsaly

« Reply #854 on: January 08, 2016, 03:40:24 pm »
I do not even know if that site is satire.  I figured Carlos would get a chuckle.