Author Topic: DC Parking Shenanigans  (Read 29641 times)

hutch

Re: DC Parking Shenanigans
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 06:33:17 pm »
don't get me started!

vansmack

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 07:08:27 pm »
VA and MD residents are probably the worst violators among people who move into DC and don't change their registration.  

Enough to justify the costs of those from VA/Md that only visit the district twice in 6 months should have to get rubber stamped by DC DMV every six months?  I somehow doubt that...
27>34

ggw

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 07:25:27 pm »
I have absolutely no problem with the city trying to track down the many people who live in the city and keep their cars registered elsewhere. But to say that the owner of any car that parks for any amount of time more than one time in a six month period must come and prove that he/she lives elsewhere is beyond ridiculous.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 07:33:41 pm »
^ I absolutely agree!

Guess they don't want our business then. Bunch of idiots! Just feel sorry for the business owners who depend on a little bit broader area of clientele then just the immediate area. That kind of over policing would sure keep me out of town just on principle.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 09:26:41 pm »
i only park in parking garages.  plus i like pizza by the slice places that are right there when you walk out of the parking garage.  yum.

James Ford

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 10:36:14 pm »
Question for the D.C. residents: Are you embarrassed by the people who run your city?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 11:13:34 pm »
Question for the D.C. residents: Are you embarrassed by the people who run your city?

yes, the U.S. Congress is an embarrassment.
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 08:27:40 am »
here is another great idea from those who "run the city"

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Firefighters-Helping-Deter-Crime-125552998.html?dr

"when people see a fire truck . . . they won't commit crime."

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 08:41:07 am »
Guess they don't want our business then.

I always hear this "I guess they don't want our business" argument.   But in case anyone hasn't noticed, DC is booming, like almost no other city in the nation.   It's a pretty well established notion that people who bitch on the internet generally don't actually *do* anything -- and if one or two people stop coming to DC that's not going to have any impact.

The reason I have no sympathy for parking complainers is that I have a car in the city and I generally get one ticket every 5 years or so.   If you bother to follow the law, once in a long while you'll get unjustly ticketed (and it's easy enough to write a letter and get it dropped) -- but it's overwhelmingly the case that most tickets are earned.
_\|/_

Vas Deferens

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 08:45:20 am »
^^ he wasn't aware of this 'law' though...
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 09:02:07 am »
The reason I have no sympathy for parking complainers is that I have a car in the city and I generally get one ticket every 5 years or so.   If you bother to follow the law, once in a long while you'll get unjustly ticketed (and it's easy enough to write a letter and get it dropped) -- but it's overwhelmingly the case that most tickets are earned.

doomie, you're missing the point here.  MD and VA residents who occasionally come in to the city are labeled as car registry offenders and need to go out of their way to prove their innocence when they have done nothing wrong.  these tickets are NOT earned. 

out of towners are allowed parking in the city ONCE every 180 days?  that's asinine.  per the wording of the ggw's OP, "Your vehicle has been observed for the second time within a 180 day period parking without DC tags."  he now has to trek to a DC DMV with his mortgage papers/title/utility bill/first born for the "right" to not be ticketed for something he isn't guilty of.  once he's done all this he'll be in the clear - for six months!  then he'll need to do it all over again.  that's an unfair burden on the innocent.

on any given day, i suspect there a lot more MD & VA day-trippers in the city than there are registration dodgers.  in the city's blood-thirsty pursuits of the few, they're punishing the many.

that being said, i've had MD plates on my car for 2 years now, i go in to the city at least once a month (and often more than that), and i've never received such a warning/notice.
<sig>

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2011, 11:34:14 am »
VA and MD residents are probably the worst violators among people who move into DC and don't change their registration.   

The paid parking in my parking lot is almost 70% MD/VA plates, 20% DC, 10% other states.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 11:35:08 am »

yes, the U.S. Congress is an embarrassment.

+1,000

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 12:12:48 pm »
Guess they don't want our business then.

I always hear this "I guess they don't want our business" argument.   But in case anyone hasn't noticed, DC is booming, like almost no other city in the nation.   It's a pretty well established notion that people who bitch on the internet generally don't actually *do* anything -- and if one or two people stop coming to DC that's not going to have any impact.

The reason I have no sympathy for parking complainers is that I have a car in the city and I generally get one ticket every 5 years or so.   If you bother to follow the law, once in a long while you'll get unjustly ticketed (and it's easy enough to write a letter and get it dropped) -- but it's overwhelmingly the case that most tickets are earned.

Herr Professor = Marion Barry!!!
BUSTED!!
 :o

ggw

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 12:31:54 pm »
I am not complaining about receiving a ticket - just or unjust.  There was no law to follow in this case.  Unless the law is don't park in the city more than once every six months.  And a letter of appeal won't suffice.

I really shouldn't be as surprised as I am.  This is just typical laziness from the typically incompetent DC government.  Their employees don't want to have to do any actual work so they come up with the ridiculous criteria of "you have been spotted parked in the city more than once in a 180 day period" to shift the burden of proof (and the burden of doing all the legwork) onto somebody else.