Author Topic: Fillmore SS Shows  (Read 127054 times)

Yada

Re: Fillmore SS Shows
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2011, 09:31:12 am »
I have to say that you cannot get me to spend $54 and go out to Silver Spring to see a show that should realistically cost $30 and be a little more accessible. I don't know how most folks feel, but living in the city and working long hours, there's just no way I'm going to want to spend my time, energy and money that way. I want to be able to pop over and be there relatively quickly and not invest a ton of time getting to and from a venue. It's just too much hassle. And that's one of the benefits of living in a city. I guess the idea is to make the venue more accessible to people in the burbs, and draw bands that are likely going to appeal to folks who go to maybe a few shows a year and don't mind dropping $60 a pop on tickets? I dunno.

I completely agree, however...After living eight blocks from the club for nine years I now live in SS, so I'm hoping they pull a decent act once a month or so.  :-\

Vas Deferens

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2011, 09:52:06 am »
it's like 5 miles or less from the DC line...

I have to say that you cannot get me to spend $54 and go out to Silver Spring to see a show that should realistically cost $30 and be a little more accessible. I don't know how most folks feel, but living in the city and working long hours, there's just no way I'm going to want to spend my time, energy and money that way. I want to be able to pop over and be there relatively quickly and not invest a ton of time getting to and from a venue. It's just too much hassle. And that's one of the benefits of living in a city. I guess the idea is to make the venue more accessible to people in the burbs, and draw bands that are likely going to appeal to folks who go to maybe a few shows a year and don't mind dropping $60 a pop on tickets? I dunno.
(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2011, 10:13:47 am »
People looking for a reason to hate the new Fillmore are going to find it..easily..

In any case, obviously if one lives right next to the 930 its far more convenient to go there but for people out in Montgomery County its going to be far easier to go to the Fillmore than the 930.

Its interesting to wonder whether some of those who object to the Fillmore's location feel the same way about Merriwether; now THAT is a hike.

I can see the reply altready: but Merriwether is worth it!

So like I said, at the end of the day people who don't want to like the Fillmore are going to find plenty of reasons: the location, its a LN venue, the prices, its not hip, the acts suck, yada yada

I'm not sure the Fillmore's success is going to have anything to do with boardies.

Personally I think the prices at the Fillmore suck and am curious to see how they do on sales.....

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2011, 10:43:20 am »

dupont circle metro station to silver spring station: 25-26 minutes, add 3 minutes to walk to the venue.  while not as convenient as a downtown club, it's not like we're not talking patriot center-type transpo issues.

but your point is taken: over-priced & mediocre lineup at a corporate themed club in the 'burbs = fail.
<sig>

mdh9857

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2011, 10:45:51 am »

dupont circle metro station to silver spring station: 25-26 minutes, add 3 minutes to walk to the venue.  while not as convenient as a downtown club, it's not like we're not talking patriot center-type transpo issues.

but your point is taken: over-priced & mediocre lineup at a corporate themed club in the 'burbs = fail.

I agree with this.  I could get to Silver Spring easy enough by metro, but until they have a show I have a slight interest in, that isn't insanely overpriced, no way.

bearman🐻

« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2011, 10:57:34 am »
I live on the orange/blue Metro...but on an early night I typically don't get out of work until 8pm. So by the time I go home, change, Metro all the way out there...9:30 arrival at best. And then I need to deal with Metro on the way home. More time spent in transit than probably spent enjoying the show. Really, not all that doable even though it's relatively accessible as compared to say, oh, the Patriot Center. So for someone like me, 9:30 Club shows are still in the realm of possibility. Fillmore SS starts to be much more of a challenge. It's not that I am looking for reasons to hate. I'm looking for reasons to actually go and check it out, and I'm coming up a little short.

hutch

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2011, 11:05:04 am »
I live on the orange/blue Metro...but on an early night I typically don't get out of work until 8pm. So by the time I go home, change, Metro all the way out there...9:30 arrival at best. And then I need to deal with Metro on the way home. More time spent in transit than probably spent enjoying the show. Really, not all that doable even though it's relatively accessible as compared to say, oh, the Patriot Center. So for someone like me, 9:30 Club shows are still in the realm of possibility. Fillmore SS starts to be much more of a challenge. It's not that I am looking for reasons to hate. I'm looking for reasons to actually go and check it out, and I'm coming up a little short.

I know you like Cheap Trick!

Hey, I hear you... I don't think the lineup is great and its expensive.. still .. if someone gave me a free ticket to Thorogood, Cheap Trick, Trey or Primus I wouldn't complain! :)

bearman🐻

« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2011, 11:08:19 am »
I've seen the Trick...love 'em. And I like Primus too. But I'm old and jaded ;-)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2011, 11:09:30 am »
"if i don't have to pay, i'll go" - now there's a ringing endorsement ;)
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2011, 12:14:34 pm »
it's like 5 miles or less from the DC line...

Make that about a 1,000 yards.

hutch

« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2011, 12:32:09 pm »
"if i don't have to pay, i'll go" - now there's a ringing endorsement ;)

Well i'm a professional concertgoer so I like to work the angles..

;D

I've seen Trey, Cheap Trick and Thorogood..and I ain't paying $54 to see Primus.. not in this lifetime.

azaghal1981

« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2011, 12:36:07 pm »
Primus are worth maybe 1/3 of that now.
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2011, 02:32:28 pm »
You know how I likened this place to Walmart?

It's 2011, people, and we True Americans are stuck in a spiteful danse macabre with useless graduate degrees, debt ceiling hysteria, screaming Casey Anthony
news coverage, gold standards, Ichelle-May Achmann-Bay (don't say her name three times after midnight, and DEFINITELY not in a darkened bathroom with your
mom's Vanilla Escape candles burning eerily) and _________ (noun describing any shitty aspect of your life/society.) People are losing homes! People are
losing dignity! People are losing the AMERICAN DREAM!!

Until this week, that is. See, True American Brands? Ticketmaster and Walmart are teaming up to bring over-sized cat sweatshirts, concert tickets, a little
bit of old fashioned elbow grease, and low, low, LOW savings to your neighborhood! If there's a more perfect embodiment of the American Dream than the
newfound opportunity to purchase guns and discount garden gnomes at the same place you buy your $148 (+$76.85 shipping & handling) Creed tickets at a Ticketmaster?
kiosk inside your friendly, locally-sourced Walmart?, well then SLAP ME UP AND CALL ME A COMMUNIST, BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS.

Recently, Ticketmaster CEO Nathan Hubbard traveled back to a time before Ticketmaster.com existed (1998? Can I get Cibo Matto tickets? Thanks.) to explain
how this True American Innovation? gives "fans this very convenient way to learn about upcoming events, purchase and take home tickets without leaving
their neighborhood." He also promises (threatens?) that "Ticketmaster will continue to work closely with our clients to create exclusive high value offers
for Walmart customers." Discount Scott Stapp lawn gnomes, anyone?

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/news/ticketmaster-walmart-team-join-four-horsemen-apocalypse
احمد

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2011, 12:43:28 pm »
Well then WHAT'S THIS LIFE FOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRR???

bearman🐻

« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2011, 01:19:57 pm »
Just a moment to vent...I tried buy tix to see Social Distortion w/Face to Face in Irvine. Done through Live Nation. I kept getting nosebleed seats so I'd throw them back and search again...after 13 minutes, Live Nation blocked me and I still cannot get in. I'll bet you everything in sections 1, 2, 3 and the pit will be available on Ebay or through ticket brokers. I'm so mad. Live Nation sucks.