Author Topic: Futbol/Soccer thoughts  (Read 38736 times)

James Ford

Re: Futbol/Soccer thoughts
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 08:07:37 am »
Don't they do the same thing in hockey?

Then to end a tied game by those stupid penalty kicks would be akin to playing baseball one extra inning then going to home run derby.  Seriously they actually think THAT is better than a tie game?

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 06:23:01 pm »
Don't they do the same thing in hockey?

Then to end a tied game by those stupid penalty kicks would be akin to playing baseball one extra inning then going to home run derby.  Seriously they actually think THAT is better than a tie game?

Yes and I despise that as well.
FUKIT

hutch

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 06:50:55 pm »
well there's a few Americans who are too stupid to understand or enjoy soccer and that is fine...nothing wrong with that...

hutch

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 08:08:06 pm »
Its amazing how much more money one has to pay in this country to be able to watch some decent soccer..

I don't have Fox Soccer on my FIOS and I'd have to pay $610 more to get it over the course of the next year ($130 termination fee plus $40/month more to get to the next tier)

I just need that one darn channel

Verizon Fios can blow me.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 04:33:19 am »
well there's a few Americans who are too stupid to understand or enjoy soccer and that is fine...nothing wrong with that...

LOL always that last debate when there is nothing of merit to say.  No matter how you slice it, the game is one that has a substantial amount of down/idle/slow/nothing time.  There are flashes here and there of excitement but you have to sit through over an hour of watching a ball being kicked back and forth to finally see some real action.  It has nothing to do with the level of intelligence of anyone, it is just the nature of the game and to me, such games are boring.  I don't find it particularly enjoyable to watch a game that has well over 90% of the play merely running up and down the field and a typical shots on goal combined for both teams at ten or less (in a game that is a minimum of 90 minutes).  I have nothing against a low scoring game at all, in fact (for example) some of the best hockey games I have seen were 0-0 ties.  But don't make me sit though endless minutes of guys playing kickball to finally see someone get close to some real action and excitement.  As I said in an earlier post, some of the stuff those guys do does take some skill.  But simply the fact that a given action/event takes skill does not alone mean it would be enjoyable to watch.
FUKIT

hutch

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 08:16:29 am »

LOL always that last debate when there is nothing of merit to say.  No matter how you slice it, the game is one that has a substantial amount of down/idle/slow/nothing time.  There are flashes here and there of excitement but you have to sit through over an hour of watching a ball being kicked back and forth to finally see some real action.  It has nothing to do with the level of intelligence of anyone, it is just the nature of the game and to me, such games are boring.  I don't find it particularly enjoyable to watch a game that has well over 90% of the play merely running up and down the field and a typical shots on goal combined for both teams at ten or less (in a game that is a minimum of 90 minutes).  I have nothing against a low scoring game at all, in fact (for example) some of the best hockey games I have seen were 0-0 ties.  But don't make me sit though endless minutes of guys playing kickball to finally see someone get close to some real action and excitement.  As I said in an earlier post, some of the stuff those guys do does take some skill.  But simply the fact that a given action/event takes skill does not alone mean it would be enjoyable to watch.

substantial downtime?

They play non stop with a 15 minute break..

If you want downtime watch "American Football" where a game with 1 hour of action takes four hours to play!

fatskippy

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 10:04:52 am »
But don't make me sit though endless minutes of guys playing kickball to finally see someone get close to some real action and excitement.

No one is making you do anything and it really is okay to just say you don't get it and move along.  I have done the same with Nascar.  Your ignorant rants are quite amusing though so feel free to carry on.

fatskippy

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 10:06:55 am »
If you want downtime watch "American Football" where a game with 1 hour of action takes four hours to play!

The average NFL game contains 11 minutes of action

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406.html

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 10:40:14 am »
i like soccer, but there is no denying it is a slow-paced game.  faster than american football, slower than hockey.

and of course argentinian soccer is the slowest.  fucking diving divas.
<sig>

lagas

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 10:44:52 am »
Re slow soccer, how about MLS?, last night I saw DC United's game, the whole league's pace is awful, what a waste of time...they really should try to increase their talent level, because after seeing the Barca-Madrid games last Wed, it was a reminder of how good leagues are elsewhere (and the Argentinean one is really good, BTW)
zorra

hutch

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 12:41:28 pm »
i like soccer, but there is no denying it is a slow-paced game.  faster than american football, slower than hockey.

and of course argentinian soccer is the slowest.  fucking diving divas.

I'm not taking the bait about the Argentine league!

;D

But to say soccer is slow.. if you measured how much each player runs you would not believe it.. or how many passes there are per minute.. its arguably TOO FAST as the physical development of players makes the game so fast that its hard for anyone to actually break through..

hutch

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2011, 12:43:00 pm »
Re slow soccer, how about MLS?, last night I saw DC United's game, the whole league's pace is awful, what a waste of time...they really should try to increase their talent level, because after seeing the Barca-Madrid games last Wed, it was a reminder of how good leagues are elsewhere (and the Argentinean one is really good, BTW)

A couple of years ago I realized I could no longer justify watching MLS.. why would one want to do that with all the great soccer thats out there? You have to be a masochist

Sad thing is that in the late 90s DC United was not half bad to watch

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 01:21:19 pm »
I'm not taking the bait about the Argentine league!

;D

lol.  good on ya :)

But to say soccer is slow.. if you measured how much each player runs you would not believe it.. or how many passes there are per minute.. its arguably TOO FAST as the physical development of players makes the game so fast that its hard for anyone to actually break through..

the problem here is that you're looking at the end-of-game, 90-minute stats: X total number of passes, Y total miles/kilometers run, etc.  i'm taking about what is happening on the field at any given moment.  dribble up the middle, pass forward, broken up, cleared back to defense, defense kicks back to goalie, goalie pokes around with the ball, eventually kicks it, opposing midfielders cut off the long pass and clear it back to other teams' defense, which kicks it around trying to get something going, but nothing is so they kick it further back to the goalie again... repeat.

soccer has very high peaks, but there are also valleys.  luckily not as bad as baseball of NFL ;D
<sig>

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 07:04:33 pm »

substantial downtime?

They play non stop with a 15 minute break..

They move the ball nonstop.  Downtime as in nothing worth watching going on.  Downtime as in the ball being kicked down the field one direction then back up the field the other.  Nothing of substance going on at all 90% of a kickball game.  Just because the ball is moving does not mean there is any real action going on.  Kickball you watch a 90 minute game to see maybe 5 minus of real action.  I am not a huge football fan but the ration of action to time played is higher there than in soccer.  Again, just because the pay is ongoing does not mean there is any action happening.
FUKIT