Author Topic: Futbol/Soccer thoughts  (Read 38626 times)

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
Re: Futbol/Soccer thoughts
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2011, 07:09:19 pm »
i like soccer, but there is no denying it is a slow-paced game.  faster than american football, slower than hockey.

and of course argentinian soccer is the slowest.  fucking diving divas.

I'm not taking the bait about the Argentine league!

;D

But to say soccer is slow.. if you measured how much each player runs you would not believe it.. or how many passes there are per minute.. its arguably TOO FAST as the physical development of players makes the game so fast that its hard for anyone to actually break through..

You are mixing the meaning of slow.  Yes the game is continually played.  I have not said it isn't.  Just that a huge majority of the time there is no real action going on.  You sit thorough some mildly entertaining ball movement for well over 90% of a soccer game to see a flash or two of real action.  Those guys do have to be in shape to play the game and some of what they do takes skill, but a player running up and down the field however much does not mean action to me.  You boil it down and you get the fact that guys run and kick a round ball.  Not exactly exciting.
FUKIT

hutch

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2011, 08:02:47 pm »
i like soccer, but there is no denying it is a slow-paced game.  faster than american football, slower than hockey.

;D

But to say soccer is slow.. if you measured how much each player runs you would not believe it.. or how many passes there are per minute.. its arguably TOO FAST as the physical development of players makes the game so fast that its hard for anyone to actually break through..

You are mixing the meaning of slow.  Yes the game is continually played.  I have not said it isn't.  Just that a huge majority of the time there is no real action going on.  You sit thorough some mildly entertaining ball movement for well over 90% of a soccer game to see a flash or two of real action.  Those guys do have to be in shape to play the game and some of what they do takes skill, but a player running up and down the field however much does not mean action to me. "  You boil it down and you get the fact that guys run and kick a round ball.  Not exactly exciting.

no "real action"??

but that is a purely subjecive determination... obviously  billions of people around the world disagree!

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2011, 04:06:46 am »

;D

You are mixing the meaning of slow.  Yes the game is continually played.  I have not said it isn't.  Just that a huge majority of the time there is no real action going on.  You sit thorough some mildly entertaining ball movement for well over 90% of a soccer game to see a flash or two of real action.  Those guys do have to be in shape to play the game and some of what they do takes skill, but a player running up and down the field however much does not mean action to me. "  You boil it down and you get the fact that guys run and kick a round ball.  Not exactly exciting.

no "real action"??

but that is a purely subjecive determination... obviously  billions of people around the world disagree!

Some people think watching a ball kicked endlessly from one end of a big field to the other is action packed.  I don't.
FUKIT

hutch

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2011, 08:19:34 am »
Rat,
If you don't like watching a ball being kicked obviously soccer is not the game for you!

betao

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2011, 01:33:13 pm »
Soccer can be hit or miss with people. I love the sport to death, but there can be boring matches. However, that's the silver lining in it, because the game can change in an instant. You may watch a 90 minute game that ends in only a 1-1 draw, but that 90 mins has the potential to be absolutely thrilling - not knowing when the score will happen, and the fact that it can change in a heartbeat creates a nice  suspense. You watch the game for these moments; and while they aren't guaranteed to happen at a certain time, its not knowing what can happen or when that makes it captivating.

I'll take soccer over any American sport. I find baseball to be boring, slow-paced, and predictable. American football has way way too many pauses and "timeouts" allowed. It ends up taking 3 hours to play a 1 hour game. I can appreciate the strategy involved in football, but it just frustrates me that they have all of these reasons to stop the game. Basketball is a great sport, but I've but just never been a huge fan of it for whatever reason.

Also, it helps to watch soccer with the right people. I went out to bars to watch the WC 2010 games and took friends of mine who normally don't care for the sport, but they were just as into it as everyone due to the environment.

hutch

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 08:41:24 am »

fatskippy

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2011, 09:48:37 am »
I've read that Joachim Low was the real brains behind Germany's run to the 2006 WC semis.

hutch

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2011, 03:07:42 pm »
anyone know the reasoning behind this? seems to make the champions league poorer to lose a player of forlan's stature

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-inter-forlan

hutch

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2011, 03:45:02 pm »
would love to see Barcelona turn down the sponsorship deal from the Qatar Foundation whatever that is... and remain "unsponsored" as far as their jerseys go.. but I guess its hard to turn down $230 million..still I hope they do.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-barcelona-shirtvote

hutch

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 02:07:55 pm »
Guardiola takes over at Bayern Munich at end of season...

I just can't imagine Bayern playing like Barcelona..going to be interesting to see what happens..

atomicfront

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 02:09:12 pm »

;D

no "real action"??

So coldplay, u2, and mumford and sons are great bands? 

atomicfront

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 02:10:52 pm »
I was going to be in Madrid when the Real Madrid/Barcelona match; I thought about getting tickets.  But it seems like the cheapest tickets for sale are around 600 dollars.  Which is insane.  The other Madrid team is playing as well and their tickets are like 45 dollars.  And they are a better team.  I guess that is the team to see.

hutch

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 02:23:51 pm »
I was going to be in Madrid when the Real Madrid/Barcelona match; I thought about getting tickets.  But it seems like the cheapest tickets for sale are around 600 dollars.  Which is insane.  The other Madrid team is playing as well and their tickets are like 45 dollars.  And they are a better team.  I guess that is the team to see.

The team to see is Barcelona IMO.

atomicfront

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 03:33:30 pm »

no team is worth paying 600 dollars to see.  even if the players cook me dinner and hang out with me after the game. 

hutch

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2013, 06:06:43 pm »

no team is worth paying 600 dollars to see.  even if the players cook me dinner and hang out with me after the game. 

yes we know..just like no band is worth $600... ;D

but if you had infinite wealth- lets just suppose- and you had to spend it on a soccer game or lose it... Barcelona would be the team to see..

would you like to take issue with that??!?!