Author Topic: Futbol/Soccer thoughts  (Read 38636 times)

hutch

Futbol/Soccer thoughts
« on: August 09, 2011, 02:57:42 pm »
given we only have a premier league thread I thought I'd start one that would cover the entire soccer world.. that thread is pretty much a Manchester United love fest thread anyways; hardly even talks about anything else in the Premier League. You get very insightful analysis there, of the "they were pretty brilliant" when they were down 2-0 variety, so I don't aim to compete with that..

I'll fulfill pretty much the same role Gallagher does on that thread- pretty much talk to myself- on this one. It just won't be limited to the Premier league.

Anyways, the big transfer news is PSG has gone on a spending spree and picked up Javier Pastore from Palermo for a transfer fee of 42 million euros... Chelsea was supposedly trying to get him but its unclear just how much they were willing to offer.

Pastore is a very elegant lanky midfielder that can score goals; most Argentines see him as the natural complement to Messi on the Argentina national squad but for whatever reason the national team coaches don't give him but a few minutes.

The other big news is that Man City picked up Sergio Aguero from Atletico Madrid.. If City holds on to Tevez that would be some combo.

hutch

Re: Futbol/Soccer thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 03:13:26 pm »
the big news today is that Hernan "Bolillo" Gomez, Colombia's manager, who made his name by taking Ecuador to the 2002 World Cup has resigned as Colombia manager after basically physically abusing a woman at a bar; he has admitted to it.

Colombia's national side has been on the decline since that fateful day in 1993 when they beat Argentina 5-0 in Argentina in a historic victory. It is hard to believe but the team that was many people's favorite to win the 94 world cup (Pele, etc.) is now one of the weakest sides in South America.

The 5-0 defeat forced Argentina to have to play Australia for the final place in the 1994 world cup and the manager to chage his plans and recall Diego Maradona.. Maradona subsequently tested positive for god knows what (ephedrine?) at the 94 WC and Argentina crashed out in the best game of that cup, 3-2, against Romania..

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 03:53:38 pm »

I'd rather you start a thread specifically for American Women's soccer.  Reasons:

1.) Their World Cup run was more complex, dramatic and shaded than any I can remember.
2.) They smell better.
3.) I'm not sure of the rules interpretation, but I think sometimes the losers have to wash the winners in the showers.

Brian

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 04:11:08 pm »
the big news today is that Hernan "Bolillo" Gomez, Colombia's manager, who made his name by taking Ecuador to the 2002 World Cup has resigned as Colombia manager after basically physically abusing a woman at a bar; he has admitted to it.

Colombia's national side has been on the decline since that fateful day in 1993 when they beat Argentina 5-0 in Argentina in a historic victory. It is hard to believe but the team that was many people's favorite to win the 94 world cup (Pele, etc.) is now one of the weakest sides in South America.

The 5-0 defeat forced Argentina to have to play Australia for the final place in the 1994 world cup and the manager to chage his plans and recall Diego Maradona.. Maradona subsequently tested positive for god knows what (ephedrine?) at the 94 WC and Argentina crashed out in the best game of that cup, 3-2, against Romania..

Did you watch the ESPN 30 for 30 "Two Escobars?" Gripping shit.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 04:11:35 pm »
Oh, I almost forgot.

Soccer sucks.

hutch

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 04:21:59 pm »
Women's soccer is great.. I was very skeptical when I first heard women played soccer (1999?) but I enjoyed this World Cup immensely... This goal in particular:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytB17mKgrww&playnext=1&list=PLA1D82342DB94DE66

Half the team plays for a  club called Magicjack out of Boca Raton.. I might go check them out sometime

I did not see the two escobars.. .. sad what happened...maybe I'll try to watch it..

-------------------------

In latest news Real Madrid has signed a 7 year old... from the clips I saw I'm not sure why... 7 is just too young to have any idea

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Real-Madrid-signs-7-year-old-Argentine-named-Leo?urn=highschool-wp4381
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:43:34 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 01:06:43 am »
pretty sick goal.. not sure what they call this type of goal in english but in spanish its known as a "rabona"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiPBN4D_5JY&feature=share

hutch

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 07:45:34 am »
Mexico's players should have been tossed yesterday for fighting, for fouling.. you name it.

I always wonder why are their players so aggressive? They seem to just plain hate the US.. then again they also hate Argentina... there is no such thing as a friendly for these guys..

At the end of the game you could see Landon DOnovan talking to the ref and saying something of the "Really, you really think the Torrado taking down Rogers on the breakaway was only a yellow?"

I like the fact Kinsmann is going to try some new players like Beckerman... need some new blood on this team.

K8teebug

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 10:11:05 am »
The two Escobars was really good!

Hoping the people of London don't burn down the Spurs stadium.

Go Tottenham!

imbecile

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 10:36:20 am »
Mexico's players should have been tossed yesterday for fighting, for fouling.. you name it.

I always wonder why are their players so aggressive? They seem to just plain hate the US.. then again they also hate Argentina... there is no such thing as a friendly for these guys..

At the end of the game you could see Landon DOnovan talking to the ref and saying something of the "Really, you really think the Torrado taking down Rogers on the breakaway was only a yellow?"

I like the fact Kinsmann is going to try some new players like Beckerman... need some new blood on this team.

Yeah, that game was really chippy and littered with quite a few cheap shots.. from everyone.  Prior to the game one of the US players said there are no "friendlies" with Mexico.. it showed.

Bot teams looked disorganized at times, both were missing stars.. not sure we really learned much.  I wish Torres would've played better, I've been a fan of his and he vanished a few times.  Nevertheless, I agree.. all the new blood was nice, would've been cool to see Bill Hamid get a few minutes (just because he's a DC guy) but really no reason for that at all.

I had the exact same thought watching Donovan talking to the ref after the game, especially when the ref responded with whatever he said and Donovan made the "you're the only person in the world who thought that was just a yellow" face.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 12:19:50 pm »
International soccer is almost as corrupt as professional boxing. Why US fans continue to act surprised over shit like the obvious red card is beyond me.

hutch

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 09:04:04 am »
Regarding Carlos Tevez according Manchester City's coach "I don't know if he will stay but, at the moment, there isn't a team who want to take him."

It would be most interesting to have both Tevez and Aguero on City...that would be an abundance of riches..

hutch

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 12:32:47 pm »
International soccer is almost as corrupt as professional boxing. Why US fans continue to act surprised over shit like the obvious red card is beyond me.

Who is surprised? It happens most every game.... I actually think refs have a bias against the US men's team for some reason..maybe it will change with Klinsmann as coach...maybe he'll command some respect

Its sort of like the UN except the US doesn't have a vote at the Security Council (FIFA)

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 06:28:24 am »
I've tried to watch kickball (OK soccer) but DAMN it is the most boring sport next to golf.  I'm not saying that it doesn't take some physical skill to do some of the stuff these guys do, I know I couldn't do it.  The few minutes each game there is some real action is OK but that but waiting for that to come along is like watching paint dry.  Then to end a tied game by those stupid penalty kicks would be akin to playing baseball one extra inning then going to home run derby.  Seriously they actually think THAT is better than a tie game?
FUKIT