Author Topic: New Order gets back together without Hook (aka payback's a bitch)  (Read 13475 times)

bearman🐻

Re: New Order gets back together without Hook (aka payback's a bitch)
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2011, 10:45:49 am »
Come up with the bass lines to "She's Lost Control", "Ceremony", "Transmission", "New Dawn Fades", etc. and then we'll talk.

Ever notice how many of the great JD songs begin with Hook's bass? His bass was integral to New Order, but a LOT of their songs begin with percussion, a clear nod towards the 80's sound they were trying to pioneer.

Another truly great bass player is Simon Gallup for the Cure. He anchors their songs and stuff like "the Figurehead", "A Forest", and "At Night" wouldn't be what they are if it wasn't for him.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2011, 10:47:57 am »
Come up with the bass lines to "She's Lost Control", "Ceremony", "Transmission", "New Dawn Fades", etc. and then we'll talk.

Ever notice how many of the great JD songs begin with Hook's bass? His bass was integral to New Order, but a LOT of their songs begin with percussion, a clear nod towards the 80's sound they were trying to pioneer.

Another truly great bass player is Simon Gallup for the Cure. He anchors their songs and stuff like "the Figurehead", "A Forest", and "At Night" wouldn't be what they are if it wasn't for him.

Fishing is good...they're biting like crazy!

vansmack

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2011, 01:19:03 pm »
and i'm guessing Booker T :)

No, Booker T is a winner.

Brian_Wallace is not.
27>34

betao

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2011, 01:45:36 pm »
I thought the Peter Hook show was great as well. In contrast to the Unknown Pleasures show last December, his stage presence was alot more aggressive and he played bass more than he did last time.

Atrocity Exhibition, Isolation, Twenty-Four Hours, Incubation, Dead Souls, and Digital absolutely killed.

The Eternal and Decades both sounded meh to me. I liked the studio versions better. I think the bass was too high on them.

I think he stumbled up on the words a few times but not sure.

As usual, the DC crowd was pretty still. Also surprised it didn't pull more people (there must have been what, maybe 600 people there?)

Over all it was an awesome show, glad I went.

RustyOrgan

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2011, 10:54:06 pm »
I missed Peter Hook the last time he was in town but made damn sure that I was there for 'closer' and it did not disappoint. I still cannot believe I experienced hearing Joy Division songs played live by one of the key song writers in the band. It would have been nice if Hook focused less on vocals and more on playing but it was still an awesome show - those songs sound fucking GREAT live!

Mobius

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2011, 09:03:58 am »
I wrote up the 'Closer' show here:

http://www.welovedc.com/2011/09/23/we-love-music-peter-hook-the-light-present-closer-930-club-92111/

Nice review.  He should now tackle the New Order catalog!  It'd surely be better tham the rest of the band without him.

I never understood how a band with Peter Hook could be considered boring, as New Order live was.   
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 09:38:24 am by Mobius »

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2011, 03:53:53 pm »
"It's the same thing with New Order deciding to tour without me -- [it] makes me all the more determined to f--- New Order over in any possible way I can. If they think I'm just going to scuttle off to a cabin in the woods, they've got another thing coming. They're dickheads. People go and hide, but I don't. I'm a fighter. I'm going to come out fighting."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/06/peter-hook-vows-revenge-against-new-order_n_998578.html

I'm glad he's taking the high road because, you know...there's a lot of meanness and hatred in the world and it's just a major drag.  I mean, just IMAGINE if we had no countries!  No war!  Nobody fighting!  Everything's free!  And downloadable to our ipads!  Nothing to kill or die for!  Awesome!  Power to the People!  Wall St. fat pigs are bringing me down, man! 

Seriously.  Stop the hate, Peter Hook.  It will eat you up inside.  Spread the love.  That's all you need.  Love.  Love is all you need.   :-*

Brian

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2011, 04:06:22 pm »
Seriously.  Stop the hate, Peter Hook.  It will eat you up inside.  Spread the love.  That's all you need.  Love.  Love is all you need.   :-*

Brian

the irony here is killing me.
<sig>

RustyOrgan

« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2011, 01:12:36 pm »
Hook said in that interview that he's going to tour New Order in 2012!

I wrote up the 'Closer' show here:

http://www.welovedc.com/2011/09/23/we-love-music-peter-hook-the-light-present-closer-930-club-92111/

Nice review.  He should now tackle the New Order catalog!  It'd surely be better tham the rest of the band without him.

I never understood how a band with Peter Hook could be considered boring, as New Order live was.   

betao

« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2011, 04:37:21 pm »
He should perform as The New Order and schedule his shows at venues the night before New Order plays them.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2011, 05:21:47 pm »
He should perform as The New Order and schedule his shows at venues the night before New Order plays them.

Newer Order

RustyOrgan

« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2011, 12:01:41 am »
Considering Hook's draw he would be playing the parking lot!

betao

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2011, 11:04:17 pm »
New Order did their first gig in Brussels last night. Here was the setlist:

01. Elegia
02. Crystal
03. Regret
04. Ceremony
05. Age of Consent
06. Love Vigilantes
07. Krafty
08. 1963
09. Bizarre Love Triangle
10. True Faith
11. 586
12. The Perfect Kiss
13. Temptation
14. Blue Monday
15. Love Will Tear Us Apart

RustyOrgan

« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2011, 11:13:08 pm »
I'd go to that show!!  (reluctantly..)

New Order did their first gig in Brussels last night. Here was the setlist:

01. Elegia
02. Crystal
03. Regret
04. Ceremony
05. Age of Consent
06. Love Vigilantes
07. Krafty
08. 1963
09. Bizarre Love Triangle