Author Topic: Can you buy beer in Mont Co grocery stores?  (Read 11080 times)

StoneTheCrow

Re: Can you buy beer in Mont Co grocery stores?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 10:57:51 am »
Roots on Georgia Venue between Aspen Hill and Olney also sells beer.  Only been open a couple of years, I think.  Not a huge selection but they always have Dale's and products by Troegs and Stone breweries.  Seems like Sam Adams is the only mainstream beer they sell.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 11:11:41 am »
Thank you sweetcell. That will work. Possibly moving up to the area.

welcome to the 'hood.  

the intersection of rockville pike/355 and wootton/1st/norbeck, about 3/4 of a mile south of rockville center, is a good area to hit up:
- MoCo liquor store on the south-east corner.  cheapest beer prices but nothing is chilled so plan ahead.  big wine and liquor selection, beer selection is only so-so.
- belby's is just a few doors south.  decent little mom-n-pop beer shop.  better selection of beer than the county shop.
- on the south-west side there is another mom-n-pop, by the blooms grocery (wintergreen plaza).  again, better selection than the county store.  this is also your closest source of chipotle burritos :)
- there's also a beer store on the north east corner, just north of the jiffy lube, but i've never been in there.

i have yet to find a beer store that has a consistently great beer selection.

i live a few blocks away from the aforementioned intersection, lemme know if you have any other questions.
<sig>

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 11:20:38 am »
Is Rodmans still around?

Decent selection of unusual beers and ENGLISH CHOCOLATE....The two main food groups.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 11:23:41 am »
- belby's is just a few doors south.  decent little mom-n-pop beer shop.  better selection of beer than the county shop.

i have yet to find a beer store that has a consistently great beer selection.

Very good selection but be careful of their prices.  I recall seeing a six pack of Nugget Nectar there for ~$20.  Those go for far cheaper elsewhere.

Not sure about other shops in that immediate area.  The semi-infamous Olney store is 20 minutes away but they're a bit pricey, too.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 11:24:14 am »
Is Rodmans still around?

Decent selection of unusual beers and ENGLISH CHOCOLATE....The two main food groups.

Yes.  Viers Mill and another by White Flint, IIRC.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 11:29:19 am »
Giant in White Oak has a nice beer and Wine selection.

Depends on what you mean by "nice selection"  [/beer snob]

mekmad

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 11:38:44 am »
While we are on the subject of Mont Co beer stores, has anyone ever seen hofbrau beer for sale?  I usually have to pick it up near work in arlington. 

evilizac

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 11:39:03 am »
Oh the Magruder's in Gaithersburg (off of Quince Orchard Rd.) They used to have a beer that was everpresent in my childhood (Steinlager, New Zealand. . .). . . Not at all Rockville, but good to know that there are places that you can get legit food and stock up on the necessities. . .
WHAT?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 12:49:35 pm »
Is Rodmans still around?

ha!  i stand corrected.  i was shopping in white flint this past weekend and stuck my head into Rodmans (didn't recognize the name, i only realized it was Rodmans after i google mapped it).  they did indeed have a great beer selection.  not exactly local to downtown rockville, but an easy drive away.  great little import deli.

english chocolate, IMHO, is unimpressive.  there is nothing inherently special about the stuff.  i totally understand how it holds nostalgia for a POME, but for me it reminds me of the boring stuff my granny put out at christmas. 
<sig>

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 12:53:48 pm »
Is Rodmans still around?

ha!  i stand corrected.  i was shopping in white flint this past weekend and stuck my head into Rodmans (didn't recognize the name, i only realized it was Rodmans after i google mapped it).  they did indeed have a great beer selection.  not exactly local to downtown rockville, but an easy drive away.  great little import deli.

english chocolate, IMHO, is unimpressive.  there is nothing inherently special about the stuff.  i totally understand how it holds nostalgia for a POME, but for me it reminds me of the boring stuff my granny put out at christmas. 

You have to be careful with English chocolate over here.....check the wrapper because most of it is made by Hershey under license so just shit repackaged. (think Lexus) Or is way past it's sell by date.
If you can get the original stuff it's excellent.

We just have family send it over or any Brit/Irish who goes home for a visit comes back with a suitcase full to share amongst the ex-pats.