Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1296588 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #4035 on: September 17, 2021, 11:24:12 am »

I don't think there was water last night like old times at the 930 club... you had to directly ask the surly bartender for a cup of water so I just asked for beer instead.
Meant to respond to this...no pitchers of water this time around
a tradition at the 9:30 for decades...I was bummmed when I saw that and didn't feel like having to tip a bartender for a cup of water

That’s weird

Are we sure it’s not due to covid? Imagine someone having pitcher touch their cup….then someone else do same

We mustn’t always assume worst
I would 100% assume this is because of COVID. It never crossed my mind that there was any other reason it could be for.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #4036 on: September 17, 2021, 11:25:10 am »

I don't think there was water last night like old times at the 930 club... you had to directly ask the surly bartender for a cup of water so I just asked for beer instead.
a tradition at the 9:30 for decades...I was bummmed when I saw that and didn't feel like having to tip a bartender for a cup of water

That’s weird

Are we sure it’s not due to covid? Imagine someone having pitcher touch their cup….then someone else do same

I actually didn't see a pitcher either and assumed it was due to COVID precautions.

There were two coolers of water with plastic cups at the beer garden we stopped at before the show.

« Reply #4037 on: September 17, 2021, 11:26:45 am »

That’s weird

I would 100% assume this is because of COVID. It never crossed my mind that there was any other reason it could be for.
yes, this is 100% due to covid....just was bummed and blame fauci because of this!
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #4038 on: September 17, 2021, 02:56:28 pm »
After nearly a 10 year break (this seems to be a trend of the last few shows I've seen), checked out Dr. Dog last night at The Club.

Couldn't have asked for a better show/setlist/time.... They've come a looooooong way over the years and it's unfortunate this tour is it (but is it)? The band looks pretty damn healthy (maybe a few years off the road did them some good). Some new arrangements to old classics were great and best of all, the club wasn't even that packed which was surprising. I'd imagine the next two Friday night shows will be ass to masks crowded.

Wearing a mask the entire show wasn't great, but in the end this is the new abnormal! Everyone around me complied...

Did not look at the merch...

Parking was a bitch.

Dinner at San Lorenzo pre show was a 10/10.

That was probably a smart move going on the Thursday show. We'll see how tonight goes. I'm hoping there are some no-shows due to COVID. Durand Jones was sold out Saturday night and there was still room to move in the back (more so than usual.)

I looked at the setlist. Three songs off of Easy Beat are about two too many for me, and I don't need to hear both "Nellie" and "Lonesome." (I'd rather hear neither of them.) But good that you liked it. I hope they don't pull a Wilco and repeat the same show tonight.

Honestly, I know I've been back and forth on mask wearing, but I had no issue with wearing it the whole show my first time. Thumbs up on it for now, and good luck to staph at enforcing it.

What was your first Dr. Dog show? Mine was seeing them open for Bobby Bare Jr at Iota. I didn't really appreciate them at the time. But my wife loved them, and so did Bobby. He stood in the crowd the whole set giddily bopping his head. Google tells me it was 2/22/06.

Random note: I saw tickets for last night's show on Stubhub yesterday for as low as $21 with fees included. But I'm not a back to back show warrior.

I don't think you'll get any repeats to be honest... I only didn't like one song during the whole show. I really enjoyed the new arrangements on a few of the songs... Highly enjoyed Lonesome... I'm assuming you didn't drink at the show and I run hot, so being a little warm + constantly slugging over priced Stellas was a little annoying, but not a big deal.

I saw Dr. Dog open for MMJ at the 930 club in maybe 2004 or 05? That was the first time and then I saw them again at Ottobar in 2009. Then saw them way too much for like three years.

Hey Yada, what were the set times last night? With doors an hour later tonight, I'm figuring on adding an hour to last night. And how long did Dr. Dog play? And were Bowerbirds any good? Thanks.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #4039 on: September 17, 2021, 03:22:53 pm »
Show 17.

Avett Brothers at Oriole Park was an interesting night. I got there early at around 4PM because I am concert poster freak and the poster for this post-game show was an homage to the Billy Ripken "Fuck Face" error card. 

Game started ontime at 5:05PM and there were 2 or 3 innings before the rain came.

We had seats under cover in the front row of section 69 (Nice!). The game went on without delay, and we moved and sat deeper under cover to avoid the rain.

Ultimately, the game went to "overtime" as a friend in attendance said, and the Orioles beat the hideous and evil NYY by around 9:15 PM.

But the rain kept on, and they didn't start putting the onfield stage together until around 9:50PM. Once the stage was assembled, they let those of us with onfield passes onto the infield to watch the show. We stood between 2nd and 3rd. It was pretty cool to be on the infield dirt. I have been to stadium shows before, but always on top of some sort of field cover in the outfield.

The show didn't start until 10:30 or so, when the opener, a country singer named Carter Faith played 4 songs. She was fine(?) but we all thought this would be a good time to skip an opener....Then the Avetts came out at 10:58.

Avetts sounded great and the crowd was exuberant. We made it to song 11 out of what turned out to be a 17 song set, when we left at 11:50PM.

Interesting night, not sure I will mix baseballl and music again due to the uncertainty of the duration of a baseball game.

Yada

« Reply #4040 on: September 17, 2021, 03:37:26 pm »
After nearly a 10 year break (this seems to be a trend of the last few shows I've seen), checked out Dr. Dog last night at The Club.

Couldn't have asked for a better show/setlist/time.... They've come a looooooong way over the years and it's unfortunate this tour is it (but is it)? The band looks pretty damn healthy (maybe a few years off the road did them some good). Some new arrangements to old classics were great and best of all, the club wasn't even that packed which was surprising. I'd imagine the next two Friday night shows will be ass to masks crowded.

Wearing a mask the entire show wasn't great, but in the end this is the new abnormal! Everyone around me complied...

Did not look at the merch...

Parking was a bitch.

Dinner at San Lorenzo pre show was a 10/10.

That was probably a smart move going on the Thursday show. We'll see how tonight goes. I'm hoping there are some no-shows due to COVID. Durand Jones was sold out Saturday night and there was still room to move in the back (more so than usual.)

I looked at the setlist. Three songs off of Easy Beat are about two too many for me, and I don't need to hear both "Nellie" and "Lonesome." (I'd rather hear neither of them.) But good that you liked it. I hope they don't pull a Wilco and repeat the same show tonight.

Honestly, I know I've been back and forth on mask wearing, but I had no issue with wearing it the whole show my first time. Thumbs up on it for now, and good luck to staph at enforcing it.

What was your first Dr. Dog show? Mine was seeing them open for Bobby Bare Jr at Iota. I didn't really appreciate them at the time. But my wife loved them, and so did Bobby. He stood in the crowd the whole set giddily bopping his head. Google tells me it was 2/22/06.

Random note: I saw tickets for last night's show on Stubhub yesterday for as low as $21 with fees included. But I'm not a back to back show warrior.

I don't think you'll get any repeats to be honest... I only didn't like one song during the whole show. I really enjoyed the new arrangements on a few of the songs... Highly enjoyed Lonesome... I'm assuming you didn't drink at the show and I run hot, so being a little warm + constantly slugging over priced Stellas was a little annoying, but not a big deal.

I saw Dr. Dog open for MMJ at the 930 club in maybe 2004 or 05? That was the first time and then I saw them again at Ottobar in 2009. Then saw them way too much for like three years.

Hey Yada, what were the set times last night? With doors an hour later tonight, I'm figuring on adding an hour to last night. And how long did Dr. Dog play? And were Bowerbirds any good? Thanks.

My sources told me Dr. Dog would be on at 9:15pm. I showed up at 8:50pm and they came on right on the dot. They played until 10:35 and then encored until 11pm. I would assume Dr. Dog is on between 10pm and 10:30 tonight, oooooooof!

I didn't hear a note of Bowerbirds.

« Reply #4041 on: September 17, 2021, 03:44:55 pm »
the poster for this post-game show was an homage to the Billy Ripken "Fuck Face" error card. 
Fantastic.
LVMH

« Reply #4042 on: September 17, 2021, 04:00:18 pm »

I can't see what it says on the Bassist bat?

Billy Ripken...technically wasn't an error card
“Now I had to write something on the bat. At Memorial Stadium, the bat room was not too close to the clubhouse, so I wanted to write something that I could find immediately if I looked up and it was 4:44 and I had to get out there on the field a minute later and not be late. There were five big grocery carts full of bats in there and if I wrote my number 3, it could be too confusing. So I wrote ‘F–k’ Face on it.”
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 04:03:28 pm by Side-dumbass ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #4043 on: September 17, 2021, 04:10:28 pm »
Anyone need an extra Dr.Dog ticket for tonight face value. a friend of a friend has one.

Space Freely

« Reply #4044 on: September 19, 2021, 03:20:08 pm »
Dr Dog, Friday night.

We joined the line at 9:36, got through the door at 10:07. Never saw a line like that at the 9:30 before.

I think I saw Bowebirds packing their van. Dr. Dog went on at 10:15 and played until 12:05. So five minutes more than Thursday, Thursday's show had 22 songs, Friday's had 23. 11 songs were repeated, and Thursday had 11 songs unique to Thursday, while Friday had 12 songs unique to Friday. I definitely liked the Friday setlist better, so from that angle I preferred Friday show.

Indeed it was packed ass to mask. We were near the back. Though we were in the same basic spot as the Durand Jones show, this one was much more of a challenge to see. Often, we end up being surrounded by people behaving badly, but the crowd around us was pretty good Friday. Those guys really know how to bring it live, and I really hope they just need some time off and come back for more tours. If I could score a ticket at face for the 10/1 show, I'd definitely consider going.

Starsky

« Reply #4045 on: September 19, 2021, 03:45:27 pm »
Glad you had a good time

Do you think it was fact they were checking proof of vaccination? Everyone arrived after dinner?
Did you find a happy home for your extra

Am surprised it was that packed…maybe people are spreading out more due to covid? It’s pretty much fact there are no shows due to covid concerns

Space Freely

« Reply #4046 on: September 19, 2021, 04:02:25 pm »
Glad you had a good time

Do you think it was fact they were checking proof of vaccination? Everyone arrived after dinner?
Did you find a happy home for your extra

Am surprised it was that packed…maybe people are spreading out more due to covid? It’s pretty much fact there are no shows due to covid concerns
(
Thanks.

Line seemed to move better once that had two members of staph start moving down through the line checking vaccine info rather than standing there waiting for people come to them. They also had a third person checking bags and purses who was going through the line. Hard to say if the initial holdup was due to late arrivals from dinner. Durand Jones was the same time on a Saturday, was also sold out, we arrived at the same time, and no line at all.

We ate the cost of the third ticket. Our kid decided she'd rather stay home alone and binge watch Succession rather than see a band that "I only like five of their songs." I wish she had put a little more thought into it when we asked her if she wanted to go with us.

Starsky

« Reply #4047 on: September 19, 2021, 04:21:09 pm »
I posted a link a few days ago about this software/app that I am betting venues will begin using that should make this vaccine verification process speedier… and cut down on line time

« Reply #4048 on: September 19, 2021, 04:21:54 pm »
While I can appreciate your desire for your child to be a little more “sticktuitive” with their decisions, I also would rather binge watch Succession instead of seeing Dr. Dog.

I also went to Ke$ha.

#JulianAndSpacesKidBesties?
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #4049 on: September 19, 2021, 05:10:02 pm »
While I can appreciate your desire for your child to be a little more “sticktuitive” with their decisions, I also would rather binge watch Succession instead of seeing Dr. Dog.

I also went to Ke$ha.

#JulianAndSpacesKidBesties?

Believe me, there's a much higher chance of my wife and I enjoying each other and enjoying the show as a couple than if we ended up dragging a reluctant third party along. And indeed we had a very nice dinner+rock show date for the second weekend in a row. Have to know when it's more important to to cut the losses rather then teaching a lesson. There are more important commitments in her future than one rock show.

There's room for both Dr Dog AND Succession in my life. Kesha not so much. :)