Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1294736 times)

Bombay Chutney

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #4890 on: May 10, 2023, 12:39:05 pm »
I was in LA last week and caught Hammered Hulls at Zebulon...super cool venue that reminded me a little of the old 9:30 (higher ceiling, same low stage in the corner, no pole), and just have to say that they're one of the best DC bands in years...I love the LP, but as a live band they were absolutely phenomenal. No Mary Timony on bass, it was Brendan Canty, and he really propelled the band. Amazing stuff.

Hammered Hulls are fantastic. Possibly the best thing Dischord has put out in a while.  Speaking of Brendan, I also caught him with The Messthetics a couple weeks ago.  They're quite the power trio. Just when you think "This doesn't sound very Dischordy" they blow the roof off the place.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4891 on: May 11, 2023, 09:31:43 am »
Alas, the show conflicted with Destroyer at Ottobar......would have gone to the show just for LEGGY!

did you like Leggy, the opener?

Olivia Jean was great. @_theslaughter_ was 🔥🔥🔥

Leggy was a nice surprise. I had never heard / heard of them before and honestly wasn't expecting much. They were great on their own, and a perfect pairing for Olivia Jean. Their set was a little bit rough because the bass kept cutting out. There was a long troubleshooting break in the middle, but they never really could make it right. They laughed it off and it kinda made their set entertaining, but maybe not in the way they intended.

(_|_)

Space Freely

« Reply #4892 on: May 11, 2023, 10:01:22 am »
Would have gone to the show just or the left handed bassist.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4893 on: May 11, 2023, 10:09:25 am »
Olivia Jean was great. @_theslaughter_ was 🔥🔥🔥

I have to ask what is "@_theslaughter_" ?
T.Rex

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4894 on: May 11, 2023, 10:10:26 am »
That's the IG handle for OJ's bassist. She's a powerhouse!

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #4895 on: May 12, 2023, 11:55:08 am »
Billy Strings at Red Rocks.  Great show except the standing in the unending driving rain for 6 hours. 

Space Freely

« Reply #4896 on: May 12, 2023, 11:57:05 am »
Billy Strings at Red Rocks.  Great show except the standing in the unending driving rain for 6 hours.

Sounds just like a Taylor Swift show.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #4897 on: May 12, 2023, 12:20:13 pm »
 Except show started on time and it wasn't anything like a Taylor Swift show.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #4898 on: May 18, 2023, 02:31:46 pm »
😐 🎶

nkotb

Space Freely

« Reply #4900 on: May 18, 2023, 03:05:37 pm »
Taylor has ACAB moment

Is the fan's name really really Kelly Kelly?

Kelly Kelly, 33, a self-proclaimed “OG Swifite,” said the security attendant continually told the fans “You Need To Calm Down,” throughout the night.

“We were dancing, having the best time and he comes up and he’s just like putting his arms out,” the Baltimore County woman told WTOP, recounting the security attendant told fans to “back up,” and “calm down.”

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4901 on: May 22, 2023, 08:23:03 am »
Let's get this out of the way first...

Seeing as there are two drummers in The Veltereers, would have nkotb been triggered in anyway.  Well given all the antics a dual drummer setup could offer there was no stick twirling or throwing witnessed.  Possibly just party fouls, but there was dousing the audience with water, having a person in the front row hold up a floor tom so it could be drummed on and well one of the drummers goes by Baby.

Anyways, The Veltereers lived up to expectations live.  I thoroughly enjoyed their debut album with hooks, riffs and get stuck in your head lyrics for awhile and the chance to see them live finally came about.  Demi has a great rock and roll voice and stage presence. Since she also plays a Baritone guitar it givens them a more unique sound.   The added bonus of course is the two in sync drummers pounding away and sharing a cymbal and hi-hat.  One of the drummer, not Baby, also plays keyboards.  Solid 40 minute set and hopefully a second album and more local appearances are on tap for them.

On to The Blue Stones who held my attention for about 15 minutes...  Just generic alt rock performed by a duo and after seeing the Veltereers with their primal drumming and stand on the drums guitar playing it was time for to head for the exits.  Honestly, The Blue Stones are that band one usually has to wait through to see a headliner, not bad just not all that engaging...
T.Rex

nkotb

« Reply #4902 on: May 22, 2023, 09:29:01 am »
No way, two drummers kicks ass. I just don't want to see baton antics! Just hit the drums!!!!

Seeing as there are two drummers in The Veltereers, would have nkotb been triggered in anyway. 

Space Freely

« Reply #4903 on: May 22, 2023, 12:22:53 pm »
No way, two drummers kicks ass. I just don't want to see baton antics! Just hit the drums!!!!

Seeing as there are two drummers in The Veltereers, would have nkotb been triggered in anyway. 

Scott McMicken had three drummers at his show.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4904 on: May 22, 2023, 02:51:17 pm »

Scott McMicken had three drummers at his show.

is this some sort of rhythmic arms race?  "Fuck Everything, We're Doing FOUR drummers!"

(with apologies to The Onion)
<sig>